British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australian Uni's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australian-unis-112728/)

pommie bastard Oct 11th 2002 4:44 am

Australian Uni's

Easy life here for kids? will not bother a lot on this forum all your childern are up for bricklaying.

Uni fees 'among world highest'

October 11, 2002
AUSTRALIAN university students are paying some of the highest study and living costs in the world, with some course fees exceeding $100,000, the federal Opposition has said.

Education spokeswoman Jenny Macklin said there had been an 85 per cent increase in student fees since the Howard government was elected in 1996.

A veterinary science degree at the University of Sydney cost $113,000 for upfront fee paying students, and the University of Queensland was considering introducing upfront fees of $144,000 for the same course, she said.

"Australian students are paying some of the highest study and living costs in the world."

UDS Oct 11th 2002 8:48 am

Re: Australian Uni's

Originally posted by pommie bastard:
Easy life here for kids? will not bother a lot on this forum all your childern are up for bricklaying.

Uni fees 'among world highest'

October 11, 2002
AUSTRALIAN university students are paying some of the highest study and living costs in the world, with some course fees exceeding $100,000, the federal Opposition has said.

Education spokeswoman Jenny Macklin said there had been an 85 per cent increase in student fees since the Howard government was elected in 1996.

A veterinary science degree at the University of Sydney cost $113,000 for upfront fee paying students, and the University of Queensland was considering introducing upfront fees of $144,000 for the same course, she said.

"Australian students are paying some of the highest study and living costs in the world."

The gremlins intervened, and Pommie Bastard's post was cut off before he could point out that Australian citizens and permanent residents do not pay these fees, but instead pay contributions under the Higher Education Contribution Scheme which at current rates cannot exceed $5,999 per year, and are usually less. You can pay at the time, in which case you get a 25% discount, or you can defer payment until you have graduated and are earning.

Grub Oct 11th 2002 10:21 am

Personally, i have myself received an excellent education and have degree, but for my son, my hope is that he will follow in his fathers footsteps and earn far more money than i do as a Carpenter.

Anyway- if PB is an example of what universities produce, then i dont want any child to end up like that!!

Anyway PB- thought you'd got bored of cutting and pasting- obviously run out of your own thoughts for a few moments.

I wonder what your wife does when your on the internet all night- probs off shagging some decent Aussie bloke with a sense of humour!

Robert Edwards Oct 11th 2002 11:05 am

Exactly and there are many Undergrad degrees for $20k through a wide range
of Universities here.

"UDS" wrote in message
news:440221.1034326107@britishexpats-
.com

> The gremlins intervened, and Pommie Bastard's post was cut off before he
    > could point out that Australian citizens and permanent residents do not
    > pay these fees, but instead pay contributions under the Higher Education
    > Contribution Scheme which at current rates cannot exceed $5,999 per
    > year, and are usually less. You can pay at the time, in which case you
    > get a 25% discount, or you can defer payment until you have graduated
    > and are earning.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

kentcoast Oct 11th 2002 7:13 pm

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

And what, exactly have you got against bricklayers?

Can't let this go, it's a subject close to my heart. My eldest is reading Comp Science at Exeter and looking at a post grad year in the US. The other is going out to Oz ahead of us to read education at either Notre Dame or Wollongong (we're visiting both next year with her to decide).

In terms of cost when you add living, education and all other incidentals into the pot they run US most expensive by a country mile (most US courses for foreign students are at least double their Oz eqiv.), then UK (although I believe the UK goes to the top for foreign students), then Oz.

You're dead right that the costs in oz have been going up alarmingly, particularly in the subjects which are seen as being the most lucrative post grad but we're not losing sleep yet.

Cheers

Perry

Chris Oct 13th 2002 8:36 am

"pommie bastard" wrote in message
news:440098.1034311451@britishexpats-
.com
    > Easy life here for kids? will not bother a lot on this forum all your
    > childern are up for bricklaying.

You forgot to add that you're an idiot. "Australian University students"
pay through HECS, which means the Government pays for the vast majority of
these costs. I did four years at University and racked up a debt of a
whopping $9,000. How many countries can you do that in?

> Uni fees 'among world highest'

Rubbish, but nice try, wanker. :)

Chris

pommie bastard Oct 13th 2002 11:31 pm

Originally posted by Chris:
". I did four years at University and racked up a debt of a
whopping $9,000. How many countries can you do that in?

> Uni fees 'among world highest'

Rubbish, but nice try, wanker. :)

Chris

Thats a lot for a bricklaying course.:D :D