Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian/UK Partnership - Are we ever happy?

Australian/UK Partnership - Are we ever happy?

Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:02 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian/UK Partnership - Are we ever happy?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We will always be faced with a problem we will never be able to solve, one of us must give up our family for us to be together. Somebodies family will always be hurt or missing out. If we had a spanish english marriage or aussie/newzealand marriage, it would not be a problem, frequent visits would be possible distance wise and of course finanacially. With our english aussie marrige and three kids a family visit costs about half the average aussie wage after tax.

To survive all this long term you need a very good marriage, sort out how you plan to handle it before kids, has anybody ever discussed the nightmare that must happen if one of this marriages breaks up! which country will these kids live in? and which parent will end up spending the rest of life in that country despite a broken marriage and possibly not wanting to be there. Horrific.

In our case neither party has ever been my country is all fantastic and yours is crap, which is why this forum is so fascinating, not the marriage angle, but the one eyed view of many prospective immigrants

Because of our open attitude we have managed to live successfully in both the UK and australia, and are still torn which one will suit us with the kids rapidly becoming teenage. I think job wise, career wise it may be the UK. Looking back with hindsite with education it would definately have been the UK.

Our marriage has survived a long time, having three kids may have made us work harder at it than most, the threat of what I mentioned in paragraph 2 probably had a lot to do with that. I dont think it would have survived if either one of us hadnt been able to give the other persons country a go, somebody would have felt resentment.

Think thats about it
Same here, I probably like Australia more than the Aussie hubby and Hubby likes Europe more, as places but then we have the whole location of family to pull us back to where is more important.

Dya know what, That is exactly what scares the crap out of me as far as having Kids is concerned.

Dont get me wrong I love my hubby to bits and cant imagine beng apart but I have seen enough happy marriages fail to know that not everything is forever. We are at that stage where Kids are on the agenda but I am petrified, what if we do split up in 5 years etc, I could never take someones kids from them, I just couldn't do it so I knwo I would end up staying here even if I didn't want to, people get stopped from taking there kids to another state here aswell so you cant even think that you could try and start afresh in another state.

Yep nail on the head there It is a massive thing marrying someone from the otherside of the world
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:13 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Same here, I probably like Australia more than the Aussie hubby and Hubby likes Europe more, as places but then we have the whole location of family to pull us back to where is more important.

Dya know what, That is exactly what scares the crap out of me as far as having Kids is concerned.

Dont get me wrong I love my hubby to bits and cant imagine beng apart but I have seen enough happy marriages fail to know that not everything is forever. We are at that stage where Kids are on the agenda but I am petrified, what if we do split up in 5 years etc, I could never take someones kids from them, I just couldn't do it so I knwo I would end up staying here even if I didn't want to, people get stopped from taking there kids to another state here aswell so you cant even think that you could try and start afresh in another state.

Yep nail on the head there It is a massive thing marrying someone from the otherside of the world
Ditto that one, I do think that this is one of a few reasons why we have chosen not to have children, where the hell to you settle????

Hats off to you jad n rich for proving it can be done.

M

Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dagboy has always said, that for him, moving to Australia couldnt have been easier. He had someone to show him how things worked, help him if he got stuck with something, someone to help with the local stuff, someone to show him around, a house to move straight into, a car etc etc. He did also have the advantage of having a job to come to, but if he hadnt, we could have survived on my wage until he got something.

For him, that meant that the only main thing he had to overcome was the homesickness part & luckily he doesnt suffer from that.

Like Sophie Louise said, he was just glad that he was going somewhere that his partner knew.

Interesting thread Merlot, I often read the posts by aussie/pom relationship posters & wonder about the logistics of it all. So many times there are couples moving because one or the other isnt happy in Australia & they are going back to the UK & I always wonder what happens in 1-3-5-7-X years time, do the other half of the couple feel the resentment towards the UK & the need to escape that the poster feels? (hope all that made sense?)

Also as Sophie Louise said, if your relationship is strong enough, you love & respect each other enough & you suport each other as much as you can, where you end up living in the world is pretty irrelevant. Ive always said that I would happily move back to the UK if there was a need to, it wouldnt matter where in the world I moved, as long as I was with him & the kids.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:39 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Dagboy has always said, that for him, moving to Australia couldnt have been easier. He had someone to show him how things worked, help him if he got stuck with something, someone to help with the local stuff, someone to show him around, a house to move straight into, a car etc etc. He did also have the advantage of having a job to come to, but if he hadnt, we could have survived on my wage until he got something.

For him, that meant that the only main thing he had to overcome was the homesickness part & luckily he doesnt suffer from that.

Like Sophie Louise said, he was just glad that he was going somewhere that his partner knew.

Interesting thread Merlot, I often read the posts by aussie/pom relationship posters & wonder about the logistics of it all. So many times there are couples moving because one or the other isnt happy in Australia & they are going back to the UK & I always wonder what happens in 1-3-5-7-X years time, do the other half of the couple feel the resentment towards the UK & the need to escape that the poster feels? (hope all that made sense?)

Also as Sophie Louise said, if your relationship is strong enough, you love & respect each other enough & you suport each other as much as you can, where you end up living in the world is pretty irrelevant. Ive always said that I would happily move back to the UK if there was a need to, it wouldnt matter where in the world I moved, as long as I was with him & the kids.
Yep all makes sense.

I do think that the males do seem to settle better wherever, not sure why. I am waiting for more males to respond to this thread.

My husband took to returning to the UK like a duck to water, he hasn't lived over here for 18 years and is more "Australian" that English. Mind with Mrs Merlot organising everything his life can only run smooth . . . haha maybe that is it, the female takes more on, has more emotional ties, is more stressed over the little stuff???

You are right, the people you are with are the most important thing. You read the occasional story on these Forums of those that have come over and one partner wants to return. Sometimes reading a little between the lines makes me think that the relationship is more fragile than the move to another part of the world and that the relationship was on the rocks before the move????

M

Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:46 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by bondipom
I guess I am lucky in that it has not been so hard. This is mainly due to being put in boarding school due to my parents moving a lot. Nowhere has ever felt like home and I have never become settled anywhere.

I think I am now at the hardest moment yet I do not feel an overwhelming desire to return to the UK. I want to be there for my family and I will be on Saturday. I have been lucky enough to get a flight.

At first the Mrs struggled with living in the cold in the UK but after she found work. We did some travelling and after finding the right shops life was good for her. She never fitted into the Anglo or "Wog" cliques at school and found the UK very accepting.

She gets on with my family and I get get on with her mum and we seem to have found the right compromises.
I missed this one when I was posting on another, good to hear a male perspective.

Do you think males settle better in countries other than their own?

Safe journey back to the UK, pack those jumpers as a tad chilly :scared: Snow predicted again.

M

Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:51 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
I missed this one when I was posting on another, good to hear a male perspective.

Do you think males settle better in countries other than their own?

Safe journey back to the UK, pack those jumpers as a tad chilly :scared: Snow predicted again.

M
Looks like there will be a 30C difference between getting on and off the plane.

I think men are less likely to be dependant on family and the emotional support of friends. Those who seem to struggle to settle invariably seem to miss friends and family.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think they probably get told, but you are with your partner and their family, it must be easier, but I should imagine they feel very lonely surrounded by loved ones, (polly's signature comes to mind).
Thats another thing that Dagboy found great - he loved having a ready made family to fit into. No, its not his family, but he still loves them nonetheless & is glad that he has someone (other than me) that he knows he can turn to if he needs help.

Helps that they adore him - if anything ever happened between us, Id be the one ostracised from the family, he'd still be sitting around the table for xmas dinner .(although it didnt always come so easily, when we first got together my mother & brother didnt want to even meet him! he's had to work at the relationship with them, but it didnt take long before they came around )
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

As hard as I can imagine it must get, I think it is more difficult coming to a country when you are both 'foreign' and don't have any ties, family or friends. I would have loved for my husbands family to be in Australia (provided you get along) because the pros must far outweigh the cons. I also think that they adjustment to the country would be slightly easier when your partner is from that place.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:11 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Thats another thing that Dagboy found great - he loved having a ready made family to fit into. No, its not his family, but he still loves them nonetheless & is glad that he has someone (other than me) that he knows he can turn to if he needs help.

Helps that they adore him - if anything ever happened between us, Id be the one ostracised from the family, he'd still be sitting around the table for xmas dinner .(although it didnt always come so easily, when we first got together my mother & brother didnt want to even meet him! he's had to work at the relationship with them, but it didnt take long before they came around )
LOL, as I said if we ever divorced I think my Dad would marry my husband!

Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:14 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by bondipom
Looks like there will be a 30C difference between getting on and off the plane.

I think men are less likely to be dependant on family and the emotional support of friends. Those who seem to struggle to settle invariably seem to miss friends and family.
This is a true observation.

M

Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Did your boyfriend come to the Uk to be with you or was he there on a working holiday visa (or somthing short term) and then met you.

I really think that makes a difference, I have been to Australia many times before but it was always a short term holiday kinda thing so never even thought about being homesick etc etc.

A real permanent move is soooo very different, I think that is what makes it so hard for people, you come and try the place and cant imagine why people find it hard but when you are here and sudenly it isnt a holiday anymore it is very dificult to comprehend why it is so much harder than you imagned it to be

Kala
I didn't meet my boyfriend until he'd been over here a few months. He moved to the UK with the plan of it being a permanent move away from Oz. His inital plan was to live in the UK a few years and then move on somewhere else in Europe. We met at the company we both worked for, and did some travelling around Europe for a few months, but both agreed that we wanted to settle somewhere English speaking for the sake of our careers.

That few months travelling showed me that I really could be anywhere, as long as it was with him. Not that I'm trying to make people feel ill at this time of day, but you both support each other. I've been there for him when he's struggled through icy winters(!!!) and he's been there when I've struggled through - er - family trauma! Not quite the same, but the thought was there.... Hopefully you know what I mean..

Sophie
Old Mar 1st 2005, 12:00 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

I do think that the males do seem to settle better wherever, not sure why. I am waiting for more males to respond to this thread
First of all, emphasis on the seem to. We are, on the whole, discouraged from expressing our problematic feelings.

Secondly, men are (slightly?) more likely to be the ones going out to work and not be the ones stuck at home (with or without children) feeling isolated.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 3:35 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Opps, not to leave anyone out, this thread can relate to any partnership with an Australian and another nationality, I don't mean to be "Countryist". :-D :-D
Well, it is a British expats forum! ;-)
But thanks, now I feel a bit more ok about butting in.. though I usually do anyway...!!

Anyway, our situation is a bit different, though will soon be more similar...
For those who don't know, I'll TRY and keep it short:
I am born Dutch, grew up in Australia(and became a dual citizen) and me and family went back to The Netherlands when I was 14(9 years ago nearly)(mum was homesick etc).
I met Pascal there when I was 16(he 20) and we've been together ever since(!! ;-) ).
I wasn't homesick for Oz(though dad was), but it did feel like home, and after a holiday here in 2000, we decided to live here 'for a while', and see what happens.
We've settled really well, though it's only been 7 months, but he was lucky to get a good job, a nice colleague, and a good friend in my friends boyfriend..
He isn't missing his family(they have been out though, and will come again in September probably!!!), neither have I, because been to busy, aren't that close, and email and phone is enough.
I always was a bit worried about when we have kids though, because I would like my kids to at least know my parents, they're great!

Anyway... now my parents and brother are moving back here too. My dad always wanted to stay in Oz, so that's fine. My mum still has doubts(specially about her parents who are getting old...), but misses me and Pascal.
Brother Maarten doesn't have a girlfriend at the mo, so is fine with coming out(otherwise my parents wouldn't have, he's 21 and still living at home).

So, in August we'll be more like the rest of you, half half mostly....
I think it will go well, because Pascal gets along better with my parents than his own, and he's loving it out here, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, things can change, and especially, like mentioned, if I've got my family here, and he doesn't.
Luckily he doesn't really have friends to miss in Holland, and neither do I, so that helps a lot.

I don't even want to think about if he does want to go back to Holland some time in the future.
And I also don't want to think to much about my parents moving back here, what with them moving, again, to an area where (old) friends are about 2 hours drive away, and them leaving their elderly grandparents behind(my grandma who we're all closest too is on the internet though, I skyped with her, and she's getting a webcam )

And please everyone keep your fingers crossed that my brother doesn't get a girlfriend before they come out in August!!!! :scared:

Luckily I'm not really the worrying type though, I don't usually spend sleepless nights worrying(my dad does though....)

:scared:

It would've been much easier if Pascal and I had just stayed put! Boring though! :-D
Old Mar 1st 2005, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Koza is on a distinguished road

Does it get easier or harder with time?
Is it easier to settle in a new place when you have family from one side of the partnership in the same country?
Has it been a cause friction with your partner?
It is easier to have at least somebody but yourself in this country, but it's hard to have your parents over there and knowing you may not be there when needed

And it gets worse with time, as parents don't really get younger....

No friction with husband, just not enough money for everything, alas.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 4:29 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shellfish
As hard as I can imagine it must get, I think it is more difficult coming to a country when you are both 'foreign' and don't have any ties, family or friends. I would have loved for my husbands family to be in Australia (provided you get along) because the pros must far outweigh the cons. I also think that they adjustment to the country would be slightly easier when your partner is from that place.

Sorry, but I have to disagree... possibly a case of 'always greener', but to me, moving over here and experiencing all these things as new to both of you, while daunting and tiring, is not as emotionally draining as one of you being (in my case 35 years well adjusted V. a newbie!) at opposite ends of the scale of learning.
I wrote in another thread recently, how difficult I find every day conversation, I can not talk about music, taxes, laws, cars, sports, drinks and foods even as easily as I could at home, and while I am learning it, to me at least, almost feels like I foreign language. I would consider myself at 'holiday and business fluency', I can get by enough to be understood and not laughed at, but as soon as the conversation goes away from 'pre-learned text book' stuff, I become a bit lost!!

I love my partner dearly, but it is nothing short of extremely testing for both of us. For us as well, me being here is the only option, as he has a young daughter who he does not (and quite fairly, will not) be away from. I wrote a lot on this recently (possibly one of the threads Merlot was referring to originally) and so I shan't write it all again. Suffice to say, it is possibly one of the hardest things I have to do ever.

Last edited by mlbonner; Mar 1st 2005 at 4:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.