Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian TVS and SCARTS

Australian TVS and SCARTS

Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future
Default Australian TVS and SCARTS

Hi everyone,
I know this is an odd question, but do Australian TVs have scart connections as standard or is their standard something different. Thanks!
Tracy
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:50 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian TVS and SCARTS

Some european models will have SCART provisions. Most dont, especially cheaper models as we have the same standard as the US market. Phono leads

Oh if your worried about it buy a convertor for next to nothing at Tandy. Scart to phono or vice versa.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 9:40 pm
Loving the Sunshine

anewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Hi everyone,
I know this is an odd question, but do Australian TVs have scart connections as standard or is their standard something different. Thanks!
Tracy
Generally no, but if you look hard enough you will find them and pay a small premium.

There are loads of converters that will help, or the device you are connecting may even be able to use a different connector. What device are you thinking of bringing, a DVD player?

You can even get cables that include the converter, so for instance the Fox Digital boxes have a SCART output and they supply a SCART to Composite (with audio) cable to connect to just about any TV.

Let me know the device you are bringing and I will see what I can find out.

Paul
Old Nov 24th 2006, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Hiya,
Thanks for the replies. The devices that we're bringing are two Xbox 360's and two Nintendo Wii's also. I know they have other connectors so I'm not too worried, just deciding on what cables to buy here and whether it's worth it or not.
On an aside note... is there an Australian equivalent to Sky Plus where you can record off the sat channels direct onto your box?
Thanks
Tracy
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:02 pm
Loving the Sunshine

anewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud of

Hiya,
Thanks for the replies. The devices that we're bringing are two Xbox 360's and two Nintendo Wii's also. I know they have other connectors so I'm not too worried, just deciding on what cables to buy here and whether it's worth it or not.
On an aside note... is there an Australian equivalent to Sky Plus where you can record off the sat channels direct onto your box?
Thanks
Tracy
Yes, there is an equivalent to Sky Pluys and its called FoxtelIQ

http://www.foxteliq.com.au/

My XBox uses the normal Composite connectors but you can get Component connectors for the Xbox if our TV supports them.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a TV from the Good Guys for $150 that has a Scart connection.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:28 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Australia does not have SCART as standard - it's a Eurpoean connector (you will probably see "Euro" on your device where the lead goes in).

Some devices do have them, but more common here is Component (3 video leads) and Composite (1 yellow video lead).

Component is better quality than SCART (which is about the same as s-video). You can get SCART to Composite converters, but that involves a step down quality wise. Realistically, most people can live with that and don't notice the difference anyway.

Composite - Lower quality
SCART & S-Video - Better
Component - Best

This applies to "normal" tv - not HDTV etc.

Big.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:41 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,
Tracy
Both things I have bought have scart connections (Sanyo telly and digital box) - murphys law of course as I gave away the cables before we came

Martyn
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys,
That foxtel thing looks just like sky+ and even costs about the same as I'm paying atm for it, so that's great (assuming it's available in my area).

I thought SCART was euro standard, just wondered if TVs there took it up as my last trip to the US I noticed a few TVs had scart. You can get RGB leads for the Wii and was wondering if they're worthwhile (I have RGB for my other consoles). As I'll probably get HD TV when we get there, I think I'll hold off now (not that the Wii does HD!) and go for the component as the Wii has one of those available. The 360 has a HD Component also, so I'll probably pick a couple of those up before we leave (Big, you seem to know all about this.. if I get a HD TV, is that the best connection I can do for the 360?).

Thank you so much for all the info.

Martyn if you need any SCART cables just PM me as it sounds like we won't need ours
Tracy