Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Trade Certificate

Australian Trade Certificate

Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:37 pm
LAM
Forum Regular

LAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really nice
Default Australian Trade Certificate

Hi all,

love the site and as my family and I are migrating in september I thought I should show myself.

I've been on this site for about 6 months now and found a wealth of info, so thanks to all who post.

I have gained my skilled migrant visa as an electronics instrument tradesperson. There seems to be plenty of work in all the state capitals for my profession, but they all say 'trade qualifications in Electrical or Electronics'.

My qualifications are ONC, HNC & HND in electrical/electronic engineering.

Do I need to go back to college to get my general qualification?
If so, for how long and at what cost?

Still not sure where we are going to live (maybe Brisbane, Melbourne or Adelaide) as I know this may vary from state to state.

Thanks

Andrew
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: Australian Trade Certificate

I have the same qualifications and am currently Eng Manager at a food manufacturer. It all depends what type of Job you want in Oz. If you want to be on the tools then you will need to obtain an Australian License which can take a while. There have been a lot of posts regarding Electrical work in Australia and it would be worth doing a search on this site

All the best.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 1:04 pm
LAM
Forum Regular

LAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really nice

Thanks for the reply

I currently work in electronics manufacturing as a support engineer, where I maintain SMT machines, Reflow ovens, design build and maintain test equipment. I can also fix circuit boards to component level.

Will I need Australian certificates to do any of this?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LAM
Thanks for the reply

I currently work in electronics manufacturing as a support engineer, where I maintain SMT machines, Reflow ovens, design build and maintain test equipment. I can also fix circuit boards to component level.

Will I need Australian certificates to do any of this?
Try e-mail or phoning to Peer tech, they are in adelaide and make it far easier and quicker to get your qualifications, plus they will give you all the help you need. Also if you sit your qualifications in south australia they can be used mostly all over australia.

Peer Tech
Plumbing, Electrical, Electronic and Refrigeration Technical Education centre Incorporated.
[email protected]
(08)8348 1200
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Trevor and Rachel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am moving to Western australia in september ,I am a semi skilled refrigeration engineer in this country and thought i should aquire some certificates before leaving so booked myself on an air conditioning course C&G 2078 and C&G 2081 cost me over a thousand pounds .Do you know if i will need a licence to work in WA as you do on the east side.