Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian test for Brits

Wikiposts

Australian test for Brits

Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:11 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian test for Brits

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
Indeed, "only" about 6 months to wait

Well, seeing as this thread has descended into an argumentative one somewhat, here's my contribution:

It seems from the expats I've met here in Australia and also from the impression that I get from people that post on these forums that it's mainly the Jocko expats that seem to renounce football as the number 1 sport in favour of the AFL. This could well be due to the lack of quality in the football leagues north of the English border, the lacklustre performance always turned in by their national team or more than likely a mixture of both.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:15 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Australian test for Brits

Originally Posted by Scossie
Hmmmm..... Don't think Port Adelaide supporters would agree with that, given that they are the reigning AFL Champions!
I said "Adelaide" not "Port Adelaide". Different place, different team.

[/QUOTE]
Anyway... I'm seriously missing the Footy. It's a fantastic game.
I've just renewed my Dockers Gold Membership for another year, so I should qualify for some sort of extra stamp on my visa???
[/QUOTE]

Well done!!!!! Once you have a membership card you wont need a visa
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:17 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NJJ
Well, seeing as this thread has descended into an argumentative one somewhat, here's my contribution:

It seems from the expats I've met here in Australia and also from the impression that I get from people that post on these forums that it's mainly the Jocko expats that seem to renounce football as the number 1 sport in favour of the AFL. This could well be due to the lack of quality in the football leagues north of the English border, the lacklustre performance always turned in by their national team or more than likely a mixture of both.
It could also be that the Footy players wear very flattering outfits that emphasise their *very* fit physiques

(Of course, this applies mostly to female footy supporters, but there are quite a few of us about....)

Anya.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:21 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Ask Brits wanting to emigrate to play a game of cricket. If they win, give them the visas.

Anya.

It's good fun being the only English guy in my cricket team here, I give the aussies as good a sledging as I get and we always have a few beers and laugh about it after the game

Interestingly enough though, England did beat Australia last time they met in a One Day International match:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3677690.stm
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:41 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ

Yes and no NJJ.

I agree that the English League is far superior than the Scottish League.
(Although we do still have the biggest & most watched Derby game on the planet).

The Scottish national team are a joke at the moment, and have been for some time. England are not exactly world beaters either, (although they always seen to delude themselves that they are?!?).

The trouble with being a Scot living in Oz is that we hear nothing about Scottish football in the media. If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have a clue what's been going on, football wise, in Scotland for the last 2 years.

Australian Soccer, (now officially Football), is taking a break for a year while it re-invents itself.

I started watching AFL as soon as I got here, and got hooked right away.
I know plenty of English people who follow it as well.
And as you know, The Australians treat it as a national religion.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmmm..... Don't think Port Adelaide supporters would agree with that, given that they are the reigning AFL Champions!

Anyway... I'm seriously missing the Footy. It's a fantastic game.
I've just renewed my Dockers Gold Membership for another year, so I should qualify for some sort of extra stamp on my visa???

Can't wait for the new season to start.

Go Freo!!!
that was a waste of money considering the titles coming back Brisbane this year
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:09 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ

LOL, not an ounce of sweaty in me mate

I hate soccer for a few reasons

1. The hooliganism mentality and the embaressment of being a Brit abroad when it kicks off

2. Its crap, boring. Nil nil after 90 boring minutes, can't be bothered with that

3. Bunch of nancy boys play it!! ' Ohhh i've just been kicked ibn the shin, i need to lay face down for half an hour to cheat a bit and get a free quick, or better still get me a stretcher so i can look really injured ohh ohh' Pile of crap!!

Look at Justin Fletcher, he had his front teeth knocked out, had them put in milk, sat down for a quarter (walked off!!) and then got back on and kicked ass. Now thats an exciting game. These boys play hard and its fantastic to watch them. C'mon Essendon!!!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:13 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Yes and no NJJ.

*snip*

(Although we do still have the biggest & most watched Derby game on the planet).

That may be true but probably down to the historial and religious ties of the two teams rather than the quality of the football played.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:20 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
that was a waste of money considering the titles coming back Brisbane this year
It was worth the money last year, just to see Freo trouncing The Lions, (the then Premiers), by 10 goals at Subiaco..
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:22 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
rather than the quality of the football played.
Not exactly true. If we look back to a couple of years ago when a couple of your teams got their arses kicked by one of the old firm. The problem is we don’t have enough teams like that to pummel every week
maybe if your lot were brave enough to let us in we would see

Last edited by soapy©; Feb 7th 2005 at 4:29 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

It was worth the money last year, just to see Freo trouncing The Lions, (the then Premiers), by 10 goals at Subiaco..
now c'mon mate we cant live in the past its this year that counts and were out for revenge - lol I think its hillarious that A victorian side hasnt won it for a while dont ya reckon?
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:29 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by soapy
maybe if your lot were brave enough to let us in we would see
pfft. "Your Lot" would be mid table at best.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:30 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

The best thing about English Soccer is theres hardly any Englishmen involved. The top three teams are managed by a Portugese is it? then a Scot & a frenchman.
You could probably count the number of British players in these three teams on one hand.

I'm with Hevs, much prefer a good game of AFL now especially the Bombers. Makes such a differance going to a game & not watching over your shoulder for flying bottles or coins.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:32 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
I think its hillarious that A victorian side hasnt won it for a while dont ya reckon?
Absolutely!

And 2 non Victorian clubs in the Grand Final last year had the AFL Jedi Council choking on their VB & cigars!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:32 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
pfft. "Your Lot" would be mid table at best.
we will never know that though, because everytime its brought up someone has to change the nappies of the FA
they know what would happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.