Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Tax Office - my experience

Australian Tax Office - my experience

Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Smile Australian Tax Office - my experience

Just thought I would write down my experience of the Oz tax office which i called the other day for some information. Bearing in mind that I had also been speaking to the UK tax office, who although were certainly not rude, they were neither very polite or overly helpful.

calling them early in the morning, I spoke to a lovely girl who immediately asked if I would like them to call me back to save me money. Is this really the tax office or an imposter I ask myself............calling back? saving me money? this isn't any tax office i know.

I got myself ready for the usual deal of holding on for ages and was surpised that I didn't have to wait long (which was at their cost), I then braced myself for the fact that the person on the other end of the phone would either not understand what i was asking or wouldn't know the answer. Neither! They knew exactly what I was talking about and what they were talking about. All non-fuss, got the information really quickly and was then told that I would love it living over there.

Service with a Smile

If anyone wants it, their phone number is 0061 2 6216 1111
Old Jul 21st 2006, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian Tax Office - my experience

That's really encouraging - I expect I'll have to deal with them soon enough!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
Just thought I would write down my experience of the Oz tax office which i called the other day for some information. Bearing in mind that I had also been speaking to the UK tax office, who although were certainly not rude, they were neither very polite or overly helpful.

calling them early in the morning, I spoke to a lovely girl who immediately asked if I would like them to call me back to save me money. Is this really the tax office or an imposter I ask myself............calling back? saving me money? this isn't any tax office i know.

I got myself ready for the usual deal of holding on for ages and was surpised that I didn't have to wait long (which was at their cost), I then braced myself for the fact that the person on the other end of the phone would either not understand what i was asking or wouldn't know the answer. Neither! They knew exactly what I was talking about and what they were talking about. All non-fuss, got the information really quickly and was then told that I would love it living over there.

Service with a Smile

#

Worked in Uk tax office 25 yrs here, damned if im doing it again over there lol.

"Have a nice day.."
Old Jul 21st 2006, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Originally Posted by mindblower
#

Worked in Uk tax office 25 yrs here, damned if im doing it again over there lol.

"Have a nice day.."
Wow that bad? 25 years! I reckon if I had spoken to you, you would have known what you were talking about.

I worked in a bank for 10 years and I wouldn't consider going back to that either. Crap job and money.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:44 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Service with a Smile

If you dont mind me asking....what did you need to phone them for?
I'm just wondering if theres something i've missed and should know about!!!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Australian Tax Office - my experience

Does anyone know the name of the right bloody stupid bastard who decided that the UK would have some sort of ridiculously complicated tax system in which you have "temporary" NI numbers (and can end up with more than one, as I did!) which are dished out arbitarily by your employer, and "permanent" NI numbers for which you have to book an appointment (???), hope that you can get an early one (I was told that a 2-week wait is common), somehow take time out from your working day to attend it (I work 08:00-17:30 every weekday, so no chance for me) and sit down for however long it takes to jump through whatever hoops they have in mind?

What a bloody pathetic waste of time that is, and all!

I love (and miss!) the simplicity of the ATO.

Want a TFN? Nae bother! Just ring up, get an application form sent out (or download one from the NET), complete it, send it off with the necessary identification, and bingo! Job done.

None of this "temporary/permanent" rubbish, or that bizarre "book an appointment" malarky.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:17 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Does anyone know the name of the right bloody stupid bastard who decided that the UK would have some sort of ridiculously complicated tax system in which you have "temporary" NI numbers (and can end up with more than one, as I did!) which are dished out arbitarily by your employer, and "permanent" NI numbers for which you have to book an appointment (???), hope that you can get an early one (I was told that a 2-week wait is common), somehow take time out from your working day to attend it (I work 08:00-17:30 every weekday, so no chance for me) and sit down for however long it takes to jump through whatever hoops they have in mind?

What a bloody pathetic waste of time that is, and all!

I love (and miss!) the simplicity of the ATO.

Want a TFN? Nae bother! Just ring up, get an application form sent out (or download one from the NET), complete it, send it off with the necessary identification, and bingo! Job done.

None of this "temporary/permanent" rubbish, or that bizarre "book an appointment" malarky.
Not normally one to disappoint ya mate - but "book an appointment" is most assuredly what I had to do to get my TFN. Twice. During the working day.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:26 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Service with a Smile

Nice to hear some good feedback mate

When i used to work in the IRD we did feel empathy for the public (you get to know the honest ones) and we did go out of our way to help sort out any issues.

Public offices are not always filled with power mad burecrats. My advice is too treat them first as though they are there too help you - give them a chance, as they know the procedures and right way of doing things.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Australian Tax Office - my experience

Originally Posted by Hutch
Not normally one to disappoint ya mate - but "book an appointment" is most assuredly what I had to do to get my TFN. Twice. During the working day.
I didn't.

And on the ATO Website, you can just download the necessary form and send it off with your stuff.

But even if an appointment is necessary on occasion, at least you only have one number to worry about.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 22nd 2006 at 6:45 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't.

And on the ATO Website, you can just download the necessary form and send it off with your stuff.

But even if an appointment is necessary on occasion, at least you only have one number to worry about.

Bert didn't either - signed up online and the number came in the post.
S
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Australian Tax Office - my experience

Originally Posted by M J
If you dont mind me asking....what did you need to phone them for?
I'm just wondering if theres something i've missed and should know about!!!
Hi we were trying to decide to rent out the house or whether to sell it and we wanted to be sure that we knew any tax liabilities that we would have.

Just being over cautious.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

coggerocks2 will become famous soon enough

I didn't.

Oh yes Aus's tax system is so much better then the UK of course, I am sure you would prefer to get taxed more over here etc........la la la la la.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coggerocks2
Oh yes Aus's tax system is so much better then the UK of course, I am sure you would prefer to get taxed more over here etc........la la la la la.
Taking into account that you don't pay NI in Oz (I may be ignorant here) but do you pay more tax overall?

I know that we will probably be worse off but for us it is more of a life change. It's a risk but I know we would regret it later in life if we didn't do and I just can't live with that regret.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
You're sounding like Arkon there

Even I managed to get a TFN over the phone in Australia (I'd had one 17 years ago when I was on a working holiday, and all I had to do to reactivate it was remember the address I was using at the time I applied).

I also discovered that the ATO will "lend" you money at personal loan rates. Very simple again. You just phone them up and say you wont be paying your tax. I should have thought of it years ago.

Seriously, they were very helpful and efficient.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Taking into account that you don't pay NI in Oz (I may be ignorant here) but do you pay more tax overall?

I know that we will probably be worse off but for us it is more of a life change. It's a risk but I know we would regret it later in life if we didn't do and I just can't live with that regret.
Aussie tax is more dependent on PAYE income tax, so there's a general feeling that you're paying more tax when you get your pay slip. However, in the UK you pay more in indirect taxes - council tax, VAT, fuel excise, death duties, etc. The overall tax take in Oz is about 30% of GDP; in the UK it's about 36%. (That's from memory, so don't quote me.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.