Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian SIM Card

Australian SIM Card

Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:45 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian SIM Card

Originally Posted by Lisa-93
Thank you for all your advice. I was thinking of going with PAYG for the first few months because there's not many people we will need to call/text until we're settled anyway. We both have iPhones (4S and 5) which are both unlocked.

I will have a look at Three and maybe go into a store to speak to them about it. Hubby is worried about the internet usage and thinks we will need at least 1.5gb, not sure how this works on PAYG.
OK, given that (frequencies shouldn't be an issue) what I'd probably do is
  • Get THREE SIM & some credit on your phone(s) for when you first arrive - give the number to your family etc.
  • Once here and with your feet under the table, get one of these ( https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...im-starter-kit ) which can be had in many supermarkets, post offices and shops. They often do half price deals on these ($15) and it will deliver 1.3GB data currently (see https://www.ozbargain.com.au/wiki/te...ter_pack_guide & Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile for some hacks regards these cards - it's enough of an area to have its own wiki). You can be fairly certain of it working out in Broke, although probably not as 4G (unless you are lucky and this farm is on a hill). This area is on the borders of the Great Dividing Range, so precise location is going to make a big difference.
  • Experiment with the THREE sim at the farm location to get an idea if it will roam onto Vodafone or Optus successfully or not. If it will, then you can go a cheaper route than Telstra (such as Amaysim or Virgin), if not, well you have service.
  • If possible us the THREE SIM for contacting people in the UK (since it will be a local call on that), however that won't last for longer than it takes THREE to realise you are now living in Oz (times are in their T&Cs)
  • Eventually you will move to Newcastle you say, where you will be able to use 4G very probably (at least on your iphone 5) and can see who gives coverage.
BTW, getting a SIM is relatively easy, though big brother does want to get claws in. Straight SIMs are $2, though the starter packs like above are a better bet. A passport is usually enough to get the SIM, although I have found that post offices seem not to bother even with that.

As a general point, the mobile phone service in Oz is more expensive than the UK, with worse data limits and higher prices. However 4G is more prevalent than the UK. Given that Australia is a big place you will find you more readily end up in a spot in the bush with "no coverage" - the main reason people continue to pay Telstra rates is their coverage is better than the competition in such circumstances.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 7:04 am
The Plumbers Wife

Lisa-93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GarryP
OK, given that (frequencies shouldn't be an issue) what I'd probably do is
  • Get THREE SIM & some credit on your phone(s) for when you first arrive - give the number to your family etc.
  • Once here and with your feet under the table, get one of these ( https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...im-starter-kit ) which can be had in many supermarkets, post offices and shops. They often do half price deals on these ($15) and it will deliver 1.3GB data currently (see https://www.ozbargain.com.au/wiki/te...ter_pack_guide & Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile for some hacks regards these cards - it's enough of an area to have its own wiki). You can be fairly certain of it working out in Broke, although probably not as 4G (unless you are lucky and this farm is on a hill). This area is on the borders of the Great Dividing Range, so precise location is going to make a big difference.
  • Experiment with the THREE sim at the farm location to get an idea if it will roam onto Vodafone or Optus successfully or not. If it will, then you can go a cheaper route than Telstra (such as Amaysim or Virgin), if not, well you have service.
  • If possible us the THREE SIM for contacting people in the UK (since it will be a local call on that), however that won't last for longer than it takes THREE to realise you are now living in Oz (times are in their T&Cs)
  • Eventually you will move to Newcastle you say, where you will be able to use 4G very probably (at least on your iphone 5) and can see who gives coverage.
BTW, getting a SIM is relatively easy, though big brother does want to get claws in. Straight SIMs are $2, though the starter packs like above are a better bet. A passport is usually enough to get the SIM, although I have found that post offices seem not to bother even with that.

As a general point, the mobile phone service in Oz is more expensive than the UK, with worse data limits and higher prices. However 4G is more prevalent than the UK. Given that Australia is a big place you will find you more readily end up in a spot in the bush with "no coverage" - the main reason people continue to pay Telstra rates is their coverage is better than the competition in such circumstances.

GarryP,

Thanks for your detailed advice! Would you advise getting a THREE SIM here in the UK before we leave? Would this mean changing our contracts/current network provider so THREE can be used on the phone? I think we will pop into one of their shops soon. Telstra's prices are shocking, but I suppose you get what you pay for!

Will defo try PAYG for the first couple of months, don't want to fork out over $30 when you don't even get service.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 7:52 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa-93
GarryP,

Thanks for your detailed advice! Would you advise getting a THREE SIM here in the UK before we leave? Would this mean changing our contracts/current network provider so THREE can be used on the phone? I think we will pop into one of their shops soon.
Yes, you'd need to get it in the UK.

If the phone is unlocked you should be able to switch out your existing SIM easily. Just swap it, etc.

Type of thing I'm talking about is
Three Pay As You Go SIM Card with Adapters: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Three Pay As You Go SIM Card with Adapters: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Obviously this only lasts for 30 days, but if you added credit, etc. then you could probably keep it running for 3 months in Oz. You would need to get it working in the UK before you left. 30 day however, is probably enough to tie you over the immediate issues.

The combination of this SIM (roaming onto Optus and Vodafone) and the Telstra one means you have covered the lot - allowing you to work out who is best coverage down on the farm.

I've also generally said that people should sign up for a VoIP account before they leave the UK - something like https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/index.php . The cost of international calls on Optus is plenty low enough, but getting a VoIP number in the UK before you leave allows people a route to call you easily via a UK number (once you sort your end out).