Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Sarah Palin

Australian Sarah Palin

Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Sarah Palin

I wonder what possessed this lady to stand for parliament in the first place?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/election/a/...n-sarah-palin/

A wise counsel would have steered her away from a TV interview surely?

At least she won't be door-stepping anyone in the remainder of the campaign now.

Last edited by Rhubarb65; Aug 10th 2013 at 11:22 am. Reason: removed conjecture
Old Aug 10th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Sarah Palin

Scary thought is if she is a citizen she is eligible for jury service.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:19 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

She did make a mistake (primarily with her political views/affiliation and latterly getting spooked in an interview). Where were her political party in all of this? Why was she not drilled and prepared weeks in advance of going in front of a camera?

That said the lady is 27, at 27 I was busy getting drunk and chasing skirt rather than trying to run for a seat in Parliament. In that respect I may opt to hold back on the ridicule.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

One Nation isn't really a Political party as such, I think it exists simply to rake in the tens of thousands of dollars of expense money that gets paid to them, even if they don't win a single seat.
"serial pest" Pleen Hansen (Stroya, moi Stroya forever) is a good example of this.

In the UK do candidates still have to put up a deposit? I remember on election night you'd hear things like "Blackpool: Conservatives 25000, Labour 18000 and it looks like the Liberal Candidate has lost his deposit".

Long overdue to bring this system in here.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
She did make a mistake (primarily with her political views/affiliation and latterly getting spooked in an interview). Where were her political party in all of this? Why was she not drilled and prepared weeks in advance of going in front of a camera?

That said the lady is 27, at 27 I was busy getting drunk and chasing skirt rather than trying to run for a seat in Parliament. In that respect I may opt to hold back on the ridicule.
A mistake?

"I don't oppose Islam as a country,
“Less than 2% of Australians follow haram”
"Jews aren't under Haram, they have their own religion which follows Jesus Christ,"
"They don't have a tax on it, they've just got a certain way of making it where Haram has a tax on the food,"

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226693452708
Old Aug 11th 2013, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
In the UK do candidates still have to put up a deposit? I remember on election night you'd hear things like "Blackpool: Conservatives 25000, Labour 18000 and it looks like the Liberal Candidate has lost his deposit".

Long overdue to bring this system in here.
You still get the BNP and the Monster Raving Loony Party so perhaps a deposit doesn't help?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You still get the BNP and the Monster Raving Loony Party so perhaps a deposit doesn't help?
From UK Parliament web site.

<A sum of money paid by candidates in an election. The deposit is forfeited in the event of a candidate not gaining (polling) a certain percentage of the total votes. Deposits are supposed to deter candidates who are not serious from standing for parliamentary election. The deposit is currently £500 and is forfeited if a candidate polls less than 5% of the vote.>
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
From UK Parliament web site.

<A sum of money paid by candidates in an election. The deposit is forfeited in the event of a candidate not gaining (polling) a certain percentage of the total votes. Deposits are supposed to deter candidates who are not serious from standing for parliamentary election. The deposit is currently £500 and is forfeited if a candidate polls less than 5% of the vote.>
I'm not saying there isn't a deposit system, I'm saying it doesn't deter idiots.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I'm not saying there isn't a deposit system, I'm saying it doesn't deter idiots.
It was £1500, and it still didn't stop them..
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

I bet anyone on this thread that she'll do well in the election and get a whole load of votes. Shades of Ipswich and another racist ******** from the 1990's comes to mind.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:17 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rajj
I bet anyone on this thread that she'll do well in the election and get a whole load of votes. Shades of Ipswich and another racist ******** from the 1990's comes to mind.
She's pulled out of the election though hasn't she? Agreed though...this is Queensland, she wouldn't have lost her deposit!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:48 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
I wonder what possessed this lady to stand for parliament in the first place?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/election/a/...n-sarah-palin/

A wise counsel would have steered her away from a TV interview surely?

At least she won't be door-stepping anyone in the remainder of the campaign now.
Obviously this person is a moron, so the real question is what agency set her up to put herself forward like this, like some preposterous stereotype?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Stupidity and ignorance isn't limited to fringe parties. For example when Joh Bjelke Petersen's missus Flo stood for the Senate, and got in, she was almost as bad as the young woman in question here.

For example:

"As you will be travelling overseas you may well have to field questions on foreign policy, for example what is your understanding of the current position of Norodom Sihanouk [Cambodian Monarch}

"Oh, what company does he work for?"

When in London on a State Visit with Joh

"The Prime Minister cordially invites you to come to dinner"

"Oh, I didn't realise Bob Hawke was in London at the moment"
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Stupidity and ignorance isn't limited to fringe parties. For example when Joh Bjelke Petersen's missus Flo stood for the Senate, and got in, she was almost as bad as the young woman in question here.

For example:

"As you will be travelling overseas you may well have to field questions on foreign policy, for example what is your understanding of the current position of Norodom Sihanouk [Cambodian Monarch}

"Oh, what company does he work for?"

When in London on a State Visit with Joh

"The Prime Minister cordially invites you to come to dinner"

"Oh, I didn't realise Bob Hawke was in London at the moment"
The Joh and Flo show - I found them hilarious, but I probably wouldn't have if I was a banana bender. Some of Joh's wisdom:

On finances under Gough Whitlam: "Australia is bankrupt. It is even worse than that."

On human rights: "What's the ordinary man in the street got to do with it?"

On condoms: "We don't want any of that sort of thing up here."

On press criticisms: "The greatest thing that could happen to the state and nation is when we get rid of all the media ... then we could live in peace and tranquility and no one would know anything."

And my favourite, Joh's take on the Hawke/Keating slogan "Let's Stick Together"

“Who wants to stick together with them and get your stick feet, you know, if you get, stick foot on sticky paper, you get both of them on, you fall over and Mr Hawke asks us to stick with him. You put your foot on sticky paper with him, he’s, and Keating, his government’s got their feet on sticky paper, my word, they have.”

Ah, they don't make 'em like that anymore