Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

australian royal air force

australian royal air force

Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:21 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: australian royal air force

Originally Posted by englishbull
im currently working on nimrods at the moment . doing full chemical strips prep prime top coat , dont know if ARAF still do it themselves or has it gone the way of the RAF to civilians and nothing more than first line ?
Raaf edinburgh have a mix of both Raaf and civy contractors [mainly x-raaf techs] Friend of my sisters left Raaf after 20 years as Electronics tech was back a week later as civy contractor doing the same job, on twice the money..................mm
Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

is it problems with the locals at tindal ? family wise sounds like adelaaide or newcastle . im at newcastle first but dont know if i get to stay there or have a choice . be nice to see some sun though ! in the raf sport facilities were great and participating was encouraged at every level so have to see how it is . its my family life which pushed me to do it . i have a good job with british aerospace but meant staying in england which i dont want for my lil girl
Can't comment on Tindal as a base, I expect it would be the same as any other Raaf base, comments are confined to katherine and surrounding township, many of which are not appropriate places to raise a family (IMHO) , but then again you'll be on the base so it may not matter.

Katherine gorge and Kakadu are huge tourist spots outside of the wet season, but once you've seen the gorge 10 times and seen croc's (cooinda) further north, do you really want to base your family in a place that has limited opportunities and significant alcohol and social issues with the community ?

and the civvie contractor who manages the fuel bowser at Tindal is a w@nker.........:curse:
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

ARAF
The airforce here is called the RAAF - Royal Australian Air Force.
They might get pissed off if you diss their name.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:38 am
Just Joined

englishbull is an unknown quantity at this point

point taken about RAAF .you have to volunteer for that posting . they offer extra leave and money so it must be bad . will be avoiding that base at all costs . in the RAF you used to put 3 preferential postings in and most times you got 1 or very close to one of prefered . hope its the same .
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't write Tindal off completely mate, as with anywhere, it's what you make it.

If Tindal was that bad, the RAAF would not send you there. A link to the RAAF site is here: http://www.defence.gov.au/RAAF/organ...nformation.htm

Wherever you end up, I reckon you'll have a ball mate.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:29 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deryans
R

I have been to Tindal (next to Katherine in the NT) and it would be the absolute last place I would take my kids, not because of the Base, but because of the Location and surrounds.
Seeing that RAAF Tindal is not manned 365 days a year.

Last edited by The Bloke; Mar 2nd 2008 at 7:34 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

I think it is manned 365 now mate - there's a lot of expensive hardware there to be left laying around unattended (F/A - 18 isn't cheap )

Also 2500 people (including families) are not easily uprooted....
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Tindal is one of Autralia's main bases. It was built where it is for a reason - and that reason is Indonesia.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:46 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
It is 'manned' but not fully operational 365.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by paddyo
It is 'manned' but not fully operational 365.
75 squadron - An F/A-18 unit - is based there.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Check the link above, it seems to be pretty 'operational' all year round now. It would not be wise to knock everyone off for a week or 2 with the equipment that is based there.
I think in the early 80s it was a 'seasonal' base, that has now changed.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

waiting for final security clearance now . looking forward to making some new mates and seeing some sun . sure my lil girl going to like it . hope the wildlife dont find me to tasty
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

good stuff, wish you luck!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:32 am
Just Joined

thanks alot i cant wait the uk really is going down hill . yesterday it was announced military personel not allowed to wear uniform in public for fear of attacks from muslims for being in the military and iraq . very wrong or what ?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

kelv the raf painter is a jewel in the roughkelv the raf painter is a jewel in the roughkelv the raf painter is a jewel in the roughkelv the raf painter is a jewel in the roughkelv the raf painter is a jewel in the rough

Im going through the RAAF Lateral Recruitment at the moment as a painter and finisher. Im waiting for an Interview at Australia House london. Does anyone know what visa I should apply for and what medicals I need? Ive been offered a condition of service. RAAF Williamtown on 3sqn. Is there anyting I can do to speed it up its taking ages. (Still in the RAF at Cottesmore)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.