Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian - Rightful King of England?

Australian - Rightful King of England?

Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:52 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian - Rightful King of England?

A New South Wales man has been identified as the rightful King of England by a leading historian.

Medieval scholar, Dr Michael Jones says he can prove Queen Elizabeth's claim to the throne is illegitimate and it should belong to Michael Abney-Hastings.
British-born Mr Abney-Hastings, who moved to southern NSW as a teenager, is the subject of a British documentary.

Mr Jones, one of Britain's leading historians, believes he has proved through painstaking research that the Royal Family's right to rule is based on a lie.

He says King Edward IV, who reigned from 1461 to 1483, was not of royal blood; he was the illegitimate son of a French archer.

Sitting in his home in Jerilderie, 640km southwest of Sydney, in a T-shirt and shorts with a can of beer after a hard day at the wheel of a forklift truck, is the man who it is claimed should by rights be King Michael I of England.

But the 62-year-old, who is about to unwillingly step into the world spotlight, has no plans for a change of lifestyle.

Mr Abney-Hastings was astounded when Mr Jones and a Channel 4 crew turned up on his doorstep. "When they told me I was surprised all right," he said.

"But I don't think it will worry us too much. Titles don't mean much out here and I have no intention of leaving Jerilderie.

"Why would you want to be king anyway? They can't do anything without someone on their back. This thing will all blow over in a couple of weeks and life will go back to normal."

The British research shows the heirs of King Edward IV's younger brother, the Duke of Clarence are the rightful rulers of England.

Mr Abney-Hastings has three daughters, two sons and five grandchildren and he works for Rice Research Australia on a 2400ha farm.

Apart from when his wife died a year ago, Mr Abney-Hastings had not visited an Australian city for 12 years.

He has a strong tie with the community and is president of the local historical society and the St Vincent de Paul group.

"I was at dinner yesterday at a friend's house and they all stood up and sang 'God save the King' as I walked in. We all had a laugh," he said.

In fact, "King" Mike is not quite as Australian as his broad accent suggests. Born in England and educated at Ampleforth public school, he is the 14th Earl of Loudon, and a string of other lesser titles. The evidence which may change his life is in a document Dr Jones found in a library in France's Rouen Cathedral.

It proves, he says, that at the time of Edward IV's conception, his parents were 160km apart.

Edward's "father", Richard Duke of York, was fighting the French at Pontoise, near Paris, while Edward's mother, Lady Cicely Neville - based at Rouen - was apparently deeply engrossed in the company of a local archer.

In the five-week period when conception could have taken place, Edward's royal father was a good five days' march away.

The court was rife with whispers of an affair.

King Louis XI of France is recorded as shouting about Edward: "His name is not King Edward - everybody knows his name is Blaybourne!' (the surname of the French archer).

A concerted campaign was launched by the family, hoping to stifle such rumours.

The royal flaks even suggested that conception had taken place in May 1440 in Yorkshire, before the royal parents set sail for France: an 11-month pregnancy!

The documentary airs in Britain next week. No release date has been set for Australia.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:55 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian - Rightful King of England?

Originally posted by Jirrupin
A New South Wales man has been identified as the rightful King of England by a leading historian.

Medieval scholar, Dr Michael Jones says he can prove Queen Elizabeth's claim to the throne is illegitimate and it should belong to Michael Abney-Hastings.
British-born Mr Abney-Hastings, who moved to southern NSW as a teenager, is the subject of a British documentary.

Mr Jones, one of Britain's leading historians, believes he has proved through painstaking research that the Royal Family's right to rule is based on a lie.

He says King Edward IV, who reigned from 1461 to 1483, was not of royal blood; he was the illegitimate son of a French archer.

Sitting in his home in Jerilderie, 640km southwest of Sydney, in a T-shirt and shorts with a can of beer after a hard day at the wheel of a forklift truck, is the man who it is claimed should by rights be King Michael I of England.

But the 62-year-old, who is about to unwillingly step into the world spotlight, has no plans for a change of lifestyle.

Mr Abney-Hastings was astounded when Mr Jones and a Channel 4 crew turned up on his doorstep. "When they told me I was surprised all right," he said.

"But I don't think it will worry us too much. Titles don't mean much out here and I have no intention of leaving Jerilderie.

"Why would you want to be king anyway? They can't do anything without someone on their back. This thing will all blow over in a couple of weeks and life will go back to normal."

The British research shows the heirs of King Edward IV's younger brother, the Duke of Clarence are the rightful rulers of England.

Mr Abney-Hastings has three daughters, two sons and five grandchildren and he works for Rice Research Australia on a 2400ha farm.

Apart from when his wife died a year ago, Mr Abney-Hastings had not visited an Australian city for 12 years.

He has a strong tie with the community and is president of the local historical society and the St Vincent de Paul group.

"I was at dinner yesterday at a friend's house and they all stood up and sang 'God save the King' as I walked in. We all had a laugh," he said.

In fact, "King" Mike is not quite as Australian as his broad accent suggests. Born in England and educated at Ampleforth public school, he is the 14th Earl of Loudon, and a string of other lesser titles. The evidence which may change his life is in a document Dr Jones found in a library in France's Rouen Cathedral.

It proves, he says, that at the time of Edward IV's conception, his parents were 160km apart.

Edward's "father", Richard Duke of York, was fighting the French at Pontoise, near Paris, while Edward's mother, Lady Cicely Neville - based at Rouen - was apparently deeply engrossed in the company of a local archer.

In the five-week period when conception could have taken place, Edward's royal father was a good five days' march away.

King Louis XI of France is recorded as shouting about Edward: "His name is not King Edward - everybody knows his name is Blaybourne!' (the surname of the French archer).

The royal flaks even suggested that conception had taken place in May 1440 in Yorkshire, before the royal parents set sail for France: an 11-month pregnancy!

The documentary airs in Britain next week. No release date has been set for Australia.
You're 'aving a laaaaarf!
Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:58 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

No its quite true apparently.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:04 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone seen 'King Ralph'????
Old Jan 5th 2004, 6:46 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bundy
Anyone seen 'King Ralph'????
Hi Bundy,

saw him on Channel 4 and he looked like a normal bloke, more than can be said for the royal family, or should I say the pretenders

Bye
Markeh
Old Jan 5th 2004, 6:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by markeh
Hi Bundy,

saw him on Channel 4 and he looked like a normal bloke, more than can be said for the royal family, or should I say the pretenders

Bye
Markeh
You mean the German Inbreds?.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 6:57 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

As much as the reopening of the Wars of the Roses would entertain me the whole thing is nonsense. Rumours of Edward IV's bastardy were circulated by Lancastrians following Edward's succesful usurpation in 1461. They were also circulated by Edward's brother Richard III after his death in 1483 to back up Richard's own usurpation of Edward's son. Edward's father, Richard Duke of York had three other fit and healthy sons and if he suspected that Edward was illegitimate (which surely he would have done if the missus got pregnant whilst he was absent) then he would have selected his second son to be his heir. If you look at the portrait of Edward IV and read the sources you will find that he's very much a Plantagenet heir.

Mind you, chances are that there's plenty of descendents of Edward III with a better claim to the throne than Her Madge.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:25 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Jirrupin

I read about it a couple of weeks back in the Sunday paper - today tonight , or was it current affair showed it last night( these shows are very slow to catch on to a story)

The guy was born in England and moved to Aus in the 60's. He said he always knew he had royal blood (his family own castles back in the UK) - but never knew about being a heir to the throne.

If I was him, I'd try and claim it and bring down the whole lot of them, he can then have his Aus republic, maybe he'll spare a thought for Wales too -Anyone know where I can contact him?

cheers
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont suppose youll have much trouble tracking down Mr abney-hastings in Jerilderie!!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:28 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

unfortunately in the show that aired on BBC2 here he claimed that he was a republican but if it turned out he was king of england and head of the commonwealth he would probably change his mind and keep it in place.

by the way the castles the family owned in the uk are now ruins with his mother, recently dead, living in a small cottage in the grounds until the end. apparently an heir gambled the family fortune in the 19th century.

i'm not a particular fan of the monachy but the funniest two things about the show was firstly the dubious claims and secondly the outright glee of tony robinson, the presenter and known republican, as he presented the "new evidence" and flew to australia to meet the new king !

Originally posted by Ceri
I read about it a couple of weeks back in the Sunday paper - today tonight , or was it current affair showed it last night( these shows are very slow to catch on to a story)

The guy was born in England and moved to Aus in the 60's. He said he always knew he had royal blood (his family own castles back in the UK) - but never knew about being a heir to the throne.

If I was him, I'd try and claim it and bring down the whole lot of them, he can then have his Aus republic, maybe he'll spare a thought for Wales too -Anyone know where I can contact him?

cheers

Last edited by dugongs; Jan 6th 2004 at 12:33 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:33 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by dugongs
unfortunately in the show that aired on BBC2 here he claimed that he was a republican but if it turned out he was king of england and head of the commonwealth he would probably change his mind and keep it in place.

by the way the castles the family owned in the uk are now ruins with his mother, recently dead, living in a small cottage in the grounds until the end. apparently an heir gambled the family fortune in the 19th century.

i'm not a particular fan of the monachy but the funniest two things about the show was firstly the dubious claims and secondly the outright glee of tony robinson, the presenter and known republican, as he presented the "new evidence" and flew to australia to meet the new king !
Tony Robinson is a twat with an eight year old's approach to history. New evidence my arse, how I hate these TV programmes that claim to have found 'startling and ground breaking new evidence'. One of the more bizarre last year was the theory (presented as if it was a fact of course) that Julius Caesar actually planned his own assasination?!