Australian Retail trade movements

Old May 6th 2009, 4:12 am
ABCDiamond

Default Australian Retail trade movements

Quarterly turnover, in volume terms - Trend estimate

from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument

In seasonally adjusted terms, all states, except the Australian Capital Territory (-0.1%), had an increase in March 2009 -
New South Wales (+1.2%),
Victoria (+2.7%),
Queensland (+3.2%),
South Australia (+2.4%),
Western Australia (+2.2%),
Tasmania (+2.2%) and the
Northern Territory (+4.2%).

At least it is moving in the right direction...

Old May 6th 2009, 5:58 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Retail trade movements

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Quarterly turnover, in volume terms - Trend estimate
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]=gif

from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument

In seasonally adjusted terms, all states, except the Australian Capital Territory (-0.1%), had an increase in March 2009 -
New South Wales (+1.2%),
Victoria (+2.7%),
Queensland (+3.2%),
South Australia (+2.4%),
Western Australia (+2.2%),
Tasmania (+2.2%) and the
Northern Territory (+4.2%).

At least it is moving in the right direction...
Not wanting to be all doom and gloom,but the stimilus i suspect had something to do with these figures.The Aussie press firmly has its head stuck in the sand.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:15 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
Not wanting to be all doom and gloom,but the stimilus i suspect had something to do with these figures.The Aussie press firmly has its head stuck in the sand.

But the graph shows trade growth slowing around June 2007, and turning the corner in June 2008.... before the cash stimulus in December 08 and the second one in April 09.

Anyway, don't worry about it. Clearly, you've made up your mind about the point.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by asprilla
But the graph shows trade growth slowing around June 2007, and turning the corner in June 2008.... before the cash stimulus in December 08 and the second one in April 09.

Anyway, don't worry about it. Clearly, you've made up your mind about the point.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:46 am
ABCDiamond

Well, Kevin Rudd and Wayne Swan agree with you..... they are taking the credit for results that "may" keep us out of an official recession...

And remember, the stimulus WAS designed to help increase spending anyway, so things may get even better, once the stimulus works through properly.

The spending increase in March was also 4 times the expected one.

I don't see the connection with the Aussie Press though

The report did say: it is not possible to determine the trend in retail turnover through the period affected by the Federal Government's economic stimulus packages and other influences associated with global economic conditions.

It is an interesting point about the timing of the changes in the graph, I wonder if Rudd & Swan noticed that ?

Old May 6th 2009, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

I suspect the December and March spikes were spending by consumers in anticipation of getting the stimulus bonuses, buying big ticket items on their credit cards before actually receiving cash.

Just goes to show how throwing $42 billion at consumers has had the desired effect. Can't see how the Krudd government can artificially keep consumer spending up as they are already running a $70 billion budget deficit (and rising)

Does this graph show the recession is over? Not on your Nelly.
Old May 6th 2009, 8:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by northernlights
Australia still isn't even in an official recession yet

But this lot is interesting

The end of Europe's recession is in sight, the European Commission declared yesterday - Financial Times

US recession likely over by end of summer: ECRI‎ - Reuters

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke sees possible end to recession in 2009 - USATODAY.com

6 May 2009 ... China's economy may have bottomed out.. China's economy is on recovery course and it could recovery much earlier than other economiessource
If this is correct, and China begins to increase further, that will be very good news for Australia..

Old May 6th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Australia still isn't even in an official recession yet

But this lot is interesting

The end of Europe's recession is in sight, the European Commission declared yesterday - Financial Times

US recession likely over by end of summer: ECRI‎ - Reuters

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke sees possible end to recession in 2009 - USATODAY.com

6 May 2009 ... China's economy may have bottomed out.. China's economy is on recovery course and it could recovery much earlier than other economiessource
If this is correct, and China begins to increase further, that will be very good news for Australia..
I'm not getting too excited about the 'green shoots' of recovery.

Lets see how the US banks fare in their stress tests, due to be released any day soon.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:25 am
Account Closed

Well, Kevin Rudd and Wayne Swan agree with you..... they are taking the credit for results that "may" keep us out of an official recession...

And remember, the stimulus WAS designed to help increase spending anyway, so things may get even better, once the stimulus works through properly.

The spending increase in March was also 4 times the expected one.

I don't see the connection with the Aussie Press though

The report did say: it is not possible to determine the trend in retail turnover through the period affected by the Federal Government's economic stimulus packages and other influences associated with global economic conditions.

It is an interesting point about the timing of the changes in the graph, I wonder if Rudd & Swan noticed that ?
I was walking around the shopping centre today with my sandwhich board over my shoulders,THE END IS NEAR
Old May 6th 2009, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernlights
I suspect the December and March spikes were spending by consumers in anticipation of getting the stimulus bonuses, buying big ticket items on their credit cards before actually receiving cash.

Just goes to show how throwing $42 billion at consumers has had the desired effect. Can't see how the Krudd government can artificially keep consumer spending up as they are already running a $70 billion budget deficit (and rising)

you can borrow my board too
Old May 6th 2009, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

you can borrow my board too
I'm not Doom & Gloom, just being realistic and researching on what is really going on worldwide. I want the best outcome for my family and not being fooled by Australian spruiker drival.
Old May 6th 2009, 3:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I was walking around the shopping centre today with my sandwhich board over my shoulders,THE END IS NEAR
We're all f**ked
It's the end of the world
The worst recession ever and it will never end
Everything we've ever known is finished

Yadda, f**king yadda