Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian residency and citizenship.

Australian residency and citizenship.

Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all
Default Australian residency and citizenship.

Hi everyone I am new. This is a great site and I have found most of the answers are here.

I am applying on a skilled idependant visa and paperwork submitted to TRA late December 05. I am not getting ahead of myself but the question is what happens after the 5 year period runs out, do you re-apply? or always try to gain citizenship if possible ( are you even considered a permanent resident on a 136 visa).

All replies greatly appreciated as I have tried to search myself - thanks James.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:48 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian residency and citizenship.

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
Hi everyone I am new. This is a great site and I have found most of the answers are here.

I am applying on a skilled idependant visa and paperwork submitted to TRA late December 05. I am not getting ahead of myself but the question is what happens after the 5 year period runs out, do you re-apply? or always try to gain citizenship if possible ( are you even considered a permanent resident on a 136 visa).

All replies greatly appreciated as I have tried to search myself - thanks James.
Hi James. Welcome to the forum.

With a skilled independant visa, you have permanent residency in Australia (with certain conditions of course). The five year period you refer to allows you to come and go as much as you like but after that five years is up, you would have to apply for a Resident Return Visa to be able to pass through Oz immigration. If you are living in Oz, then this is no biggie at all.

However, after 2/3 years of residency (currently 2 but a new Act will most likely come into play later this year to make it 3) you can take out Australian citizenship, which amongst other things makes travelling after the initial five year period much easier
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi there correct me if im wrong but if your on 136 visa you can apply for PR after 2 years.
Are you on the modl list.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hi James. Welcome to the forum.

With a skilled independant visa, you have permanent residency in Australia (with certain conditions of course). The five year period you refer to allows you to come and go as much as you like but after that five years is up, you would have to apply for a Resident Return Visa to be able to pass through Oz immigration. If you are living in Oz, then this is no biggie at all.

However, after 2/3 years of residency (currently 2 but a new Act will most likely come into play later this year to make it 3) you can take out Australian citizenship, which amongst other things makes travelling after the initial five year period much easier
Hi Vm and thanks for the friendly helpful reply - James.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Hi there correct me if im wrong but if your on 136 visa you can apply for PR after 2 years.
Hi gp, no I am not on the modl but get the full trade points (building).
Was offerd a skilled regional but I have a stepbtother in Perth so I have to use the investment bond route.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi gp, no I am not on the modl but get the full trade points (building).
Was offerd a skilled regional but I have a stepbtother in Perth so I have to use the investment bond route.
No worries mate good luck
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you go on a 136 you are granted Permanent Residency at once.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

You are thinking about Citizenship - current 2 years from 5
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WendyC
You are thinking about Citizenship - current 2 years from 5
God, i stand corrected again THANKS
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Treat the visa as a 5 year re-entry visa; once it runs out, you cannot re-enter Australia.
If you are in Australia at the time, then you are OK, as long as you don't leave
If you are outside Australia at the time, you can't get back in !! (well, you may be able to, I did , but only due to very strong ties here)

Before the initial 5 years expires, you either get a RRV Resident Return Visa, or get Citizenship, both cost the same. But you then need to pay extra for the Australian passport.

The current Citizenship rules are:

To apply for Australian citizenship you would need to have been in Australia for at least 2 years as a permanent resident in the last five years.
This time must include a total of twelve months in the two years immediately before making your citizenship application.

This twelve months does not need to be continuous.

This 2 years requirement will shortly be increasing to 3 years.