Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Republic before King George VII

Australian Republic before King George VII

Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Republic before King George VII

Originally Posted by Zen10
Anyone care to elaborate on what these massive costs would be, other than holding a referendum and changing the word "governor general" to "president" on the stationery?
Some costs involved could be:
  • Currency - all coins currently have Queen's head, so does $5 note
  • Changes in Governor's office for each state, as the Governors represent the Queen for their state
  • Costs involved in altering the constitution - not only the federal one, but probably also each state
  • Cost of running the actual referendum (even if at same time as an election, it would still cost extra)
  • Cost of running any plebiscites, as currently the republican people want to run 2 or 3 of these to determine what they actually want
  • Stationery
  • Potential change of national flag
  • Potential change of state flags
  • There would probably be a push for the President to be more visible than the Governor-General is, so extra costs involved with this potentially including more overseas trips, and receiving more state visits to show off their shiny new President
It's odd - in the UK, I'm very much a supporter of the UK becoming a republic. In Australia, I sit on the fence about Australia becoming a republic (mainly because I've seen enough Australian politics to know there are some potentially big dangers involved in what the office of President might become).
Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:58 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Some costs involved could be:
  • Currency - all coins currently have Queen's head, so does $5 note Agreed
  • Changes in Governor's office for each state, as the Governors represent the Queen for their stateSame offices could represent the president. No change required.
  • Costs involved in altering the constitution - not only the federal one, but probably also each stateAnd how much can that cost?
  • Cost of running the actual referendum (even if at same time as an election, it would still cost extra)Of course. Just put the question on the ballot paper.
  • Cost of running any plebiscites, as currently the republican people want to run 2 or 3 of these to determine what they actually wantYup
  • Stationery
  • Potential change of national flagSimply remove the union jack, or leave it as it is.
  • Potential change of state flagsSame as above
  • There would probably be a push for the President to be more visible than the Governor-General is, so extra costs involved with this potentially including more overseas trips, and receiving more state visits to show off their shiny new PresidentPossibly, but unnecessary. Who knows what the German president looks like or what his name is, without talking to Uncle Google?
It's odd - in the UK, I'm very much a supporter of the UK becoming a republic. In Australia, I sit on the fence about Australia becoming a republic (mainly because I've seen enough Australian politics to know there are some potentially big dangers involved in what the office of President might become).
I float on the issue as far as the UK goes. I know Australia will become a republic, and so does the Windsor family, which is why they always send their newborn kings-to-be here first. I don't know.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:06 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I think death of Elizabeth will prompt big push for referendum. Sadly.

I'm not up on all the pros and cons but quite like Charles being a bit alternate. Why shouldn't he be King?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

As you said odd. You are against the monarchy in the country they reign over but you are for it in a country which largely went its own way in 1901 and latterly has become less Anglo? That's like being against Islam in the Middle East (except Israel) but in favour of it in the UK.

The Royalists who distrust the young nation going it's own way are like parents who don't want their children to fly the nest.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

When/if it comes a possible flag has been mooted:

Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:04 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
When/if it comes a possible flag has been mooted:

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...ps75d05dab.gif
No, no, you're mistaken. This is the flag of the Ludicrous Banana Republic of Australia.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
As you said odd. You are against the monarchy in the country they reign over but you are for it in a country which largely went its own way in 1901 and latterly has become less Anglo?
I did not say that I was for the monarchy in Australia at all. I said that I was on the fence about it, and gave a reason for that - I would put myself in neither the monarchy support camp, or the republic support camp as far as Australia is concerned.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Zen10
I float on the issue as far as the UK goes. I know Australia will become a republic, and so does the Windsor family, which is why they always send their newborn kings-to-be here first. I don't know.
With costs of changing constitutions, you need to remember the legal costs, and the time put in by constitutional lawyers. It would not be cheap to the public purse when those people could be doing other things instead.

You may consider it unnecessary for the new President to be shown off, but the politicians who supported a republic would be very keen - especially within the Asia-Pacific area of the world.

Last edited by roaringmouse; Jul 28th 2013 at 12:02 am.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:30 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

"It's odd - in the UK, I'm very much a supporter of the UK becoming a republic. In Australia, I sit on the fence about Australia becoming a republic (mainly because I've seen enough Australian politics to know there are some potentially big dangers involved in what the office of President might become"

I don't know why you think Aussie politicians are any more or less capable or upstanding than UK ones - have you read the Rotten Boroughs pages of Private Eye recently?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I don't know why you think Aussie politicians are any more or less capable or upstanding than UK ones - have you read the Rotten Boroughs pages of Private Eye recently?
I made no comparison of politicians between the two countries and nor did I specifically mention politicians.

Last edited by roaringmouse; Jul 28th 2013 at 11:22 am.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What about cost of maintaining a president and his / her office? What is cost / benefit?
Malcolm Turnbull and his accountants will have the answer to that...

That reminds me of my days working for those accountants...

Long Live the Queen, and keep Australia's costs down
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did not say that I was for the monarchy in Australia at all. I said that I was on the fence about it, and gave a reason for that - I would put myself in neither the monarchy support camp, or the republic support camp as far as Australia is concerned.
Similar thing - against in UK, on the fence in Oz.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Still wondering what the benefits are to becoming a republic? So far ive hearx no arguement for becoming a republic which would indicate that there are no real benefits just lots of cost. Is it really worth it then?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
Still wondering what the benefits are to becoming a republic? So far ive hearx no arguement for becoming a republic which would indicate that there are no real benefits just lots of cost. Is it really worth it then?
There are no benefits that I can see, only costs. I think this is why polls are showing less and less desire for a republic, if it aint broke dont fix it and dont spend money you havent got.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
The benefits are that currently no Australian can ever become head of state of their own country, but that in a republic they will be able to do so. This is about self-determination as a people in the 21st Century. At the moment, a private family of Germans control Australia. Recent demonstrations include the dismissal of 1975 when they removed a sitting PM from power and more recently in 2011 when they suspended free speech in Australia by unilaterally banning a satirical publicly-funded TV programme from airing during the wedding of William Windsor and Kate Middleton. The Windsor family are also able to ban any law made by the Australian people as long as they act within one year of its passing. Some Australians do not like being treated like this, and want their children to be eligible for head of state one day. This way the head of state is actually accountable to a voting public.

Besides, both Australia and Britain will become republics at some point; there is no doubt of that at all. Australia probably within 20 years, and Britain more likely before the end of the century. It is the natural political evolution of the state. I have nothing against the Windsors personally. I've met a senior member of the family and my mother has met one (other) senior royal several times in the course of her work. Our experience is that they are polite and professional. Becoming a republic would free these people from a life of public scrutiny they never asked for.

Last edited by Zen10; Jul 29th 2013 at 8:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.