Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian recession

Australian recession

Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:41 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Question Australian recession

Hello all - sorry have not been on here for ages

does anyone know if Australia is currently facing recession like Britain is? My hubby is in building and construction, and currently working in Scotland where wages are plummeting, but he cannot complain as jobs are so scarce.

We still have our home in Oz and are considering moving back (came back to Scotland a year ago). but we cannot contemplate the move if work will be just as scarce.

We would be moving to the Geelong region. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Beppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really nice
Default Re: Australian recession

Originally Posted by mika24me

does anyone know if Australia is currently facing recession like Britain is? My hubby is in building and construction, and currently working in Scotland where wages are plummeting, but he cannot complain as jobs are so scarce.

We still have our home in Oz and are considering moving back (came back to Scotland a year ago). but we cannot contemplate the move if work will be just as scarce.

Thanks
Lots of people will have a different opinion on this one.

My opinion is that Oz will face a recession, however it will initially be two tier. Services & construction falling into recession, whilst resources continue (for the time being) to grow but at a contracted rate. This resources growth will be saved for the coming "rainy day" rather than be released into the wider economy.

Currently I’m reading lots of media “stories” that tell me Scotland is not experiencing anywhere near the same downturn as the rest of the UK. However, what does it feel like to you living there?

Same as in Oz, the propaganda machine is still trying to paper over the cracks.

But ask the people that live there what they feel. Hopefully some will answer you on here.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
My opinion:
Maybe a mild recession in the passenger states - NSW, Vic, SA
No recession in Qld, WA, NT
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:32 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is in building and construction, and currently working in Scotland where wages are plummeting
Didn't realise that construction wages are dropping so much in scotland. There has been nothing on the news to indicate that this is the case. Best of luck to you.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:43 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah hubby is earning approx 65% of his wages before we left in 2003. He is a self employed sub contractor and the firm he works for has work, and therefore knows they can drop wages but the tradies will stay working as they have no option (no work elsewhere).

It is a nasty situation. One of his colleagues is facing repossession.
Originally Posted by markallwood
Didn't realise that construction wages are dropping so much in scotland. There has been nothing on the news to indicate that this is the case. Best of luck to you.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:51 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

well, I hope that it turns around for you guys. cheers
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Funny, we were going to ask the same about whether Oz is facing a recession.
My husband is a bricklayer and we were wondering whether there is enough work going on in QLD.
We were due to go over last year but, due to unforseen circumstances, had to stay in UK. Work is drying up around where we live now.

Can any tradies share what the work situation is like over in Oz (especially along gold coast and sunshine coast)?

Cheers

Jo
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My opinion:
Maybe a mild recession in the passenger states - NSW, Vic, SA
No recession in Qld, WA, NT
Passenger states? You are either very naive or winding people up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._State_Product
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:21 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin

Excellent... puts that myth to bed...
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:30 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think if interest rates start to go down then people will be back buying stuff they don't need (and boosting the economy) before long
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Devlin

He's going for a wind-up. WA keeps telling it's little-uns that they are the Aussie economy. And some of them grow up believing it.

Bless em
Old Aug 31st 2008, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Builders I've been contacting still have enough work on their books to charge silly money. However I wouldnt like to be trying to get employment as a newcomer to this country at present, even in building.

6,000 houses short in Melbourne, minimum.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Builders I've been contacting still have enough work on their books to charge silly money. However I wouldnt like to be trying to get employment as a newcomer to this country at present, even in building.
Problem is, building costs have risen due to the cost of building materials.
Its not the wages/labour thats going up its the cost of the materials, many go up monthly.

There is a constant influx of migrants to the building industry and Mr Rudd has kindly proposed even more cheap labour with about another 300,000 visas this year All this with unemployment rising and lets face it the employment stat's count anyone who works 2+ hours a week so they are hardly realistic anyway.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Problem is, building costs have risen due to the cost of building materials.
Its not the wages/labour thats going up its the cost of the materials, many go up monthly.
Yep, inflation seems to be entrenched. So what do the RBA want to do now? Cut interest rates of course...
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:02 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine Australia is an even more attractive option in times of recession. But to wonder if it will somehow remain immune to an economic slowdown of global proportions is optimistic in the extreme. It's going to bite here, it just lags a bit behind Europe and the US, as Asia does.

Someone once told me he'd rather be poor in Australia than poor in England - so maybe you could look at it that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.