Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Property Market

Australian Property Market

Old May 30th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Australian Property Market

Houses are advertised at "$500k+" or "offers over $500k". If you make an offer of $530k it gets rejected outright. Which begs the question, why not make it offers over $530k? The answer seems to be to create more interest in the property from greedy fools thinking they can get a bargain. The house will sell for $650k.

I think the Australian property market is generally unhealthy.
Old May 30th 2006, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

dolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian Property Market

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Houses are advertised at "$500k+" or "offers over $500k". If you make an offer of $530k it gets rejected outright. Which begs the question, why not make it offers over $530k? The answer seems to be to create more interest in the property from greedy fools thinking they can get a bargain. The house will sell for $650k.

And i read another thread saying something like property rates are shown higher than actual to get a better bargain. So property generally gets sold at much lower prices than advt on net. I am so confused. Which city are u referring too and which site?
Old May 30th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dolly123
And i read another thread saying something like property rates are shown higher than actual to get a better bargain. So property generally gets sold at much lower prices than advt on net. I am so confused. Which city are u referring too and which site?
I am in Melbourne. No site in particular, although the properties have all been listed on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au.
Old May 30th 2006, 11:25 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Come to the Blue Mountains and pay $330 - $440 for a 4-5 bedroom house. And they take offers too. That's the problem, they know people want the beach so they're making people pay for it.
It's perfectly stable here ... in fact, prices have fallen to attract buyers. I can show you properties that have been on the market for over 18 months...
Old May 30th 2006, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you say what happened at the auction of Bob Ansett's old estate at Mt Eliza over the weekend? It set a record at auction in Victoria of $14.5 mill - reserve was set at $8 mill. :scared:

At least when you have an offer accepted in Vic you can't be gazzumped like in other property markets.

OzTennis
Old May 30th 2006, 11:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that this practice is now illegal

It used to happen a lot in SA but I thought is was now banned.

G
Old May 30th 2006, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Perhaps you say what happened at the auction of Bob Ansett's old estate at Mt Eliza over the weekend? It set a record at auction in Victoria of $14.5 mill - reserve was set at $8 mill. :scared:

At least when you have an offer accepted in Vic you can't be gazzumped like in other property markets.

OzTennis

Instead of gazzumpers there are the fake bidders and the sealed bids.

Stamp duty is pretty hefty here as well.
Old May 31st 2006, 12:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Or the latest thing I've seen in Perth, it's not "Offers over..." or "POA" or "Auction" but "Expressions of Interest"

I mean, FFS! it's a fairly standard Ocean Reef house, quite nice sure but nothing special and they want people to submit "Expressions of Interest"

http://www.eldersrealestate.com.au/l...list_id=214985

What's going on?