Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Petrol (& other) fuel Price Update...

Australian Petrol (& other) fuel Price Update...

Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian Petrol (& other) fuel Price Update...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One of the things I've learnt and studied in my Oil and Gas MBA:
Diesel is mainly used as an industrial fuel - ships, power generation, trucks, heavy machinery etc. It's use as a personal transport fuel is limited. So when economies are doing well and industrial activity increases, the price of diesel rises to reflect this - and vice versa. We live in a region where a lot of Asian economies are steaming along (forget all the bollocks you read about China slowing, they are still growing at around 7.5% and will continue to do so), therefore the demand for diesel is high, driving its price higher. We import a lot of diesel, mainly from Asia. If you remember back to 2007/8 when China's economy was white hot leading up to the Olympics. Australia was also booming. The price of diesel here went through the roof

But saying that

I'm sure the oil companies/supermarkets are tacking on a bit extra as well. Shell/Coles and Caltex/Woolworths are big culprits of this IMO. Their diesel prices, around here anyway, are always the highest - and by a big margin. I tend to find that Gull (or Puma as it now seems to be called), which is an Aussie company, usually have the best price
Ta Zulu, I found that very interesting
Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I knocked this up to show how the fuel price cycle makes money. The solid chunk at the bottom is the terminal gate price of fuel (how much the distributor sells for). We can assume the Coles/Woolies lot get a bit of a discount on this, so given a margin for the station which is typically 4% in the UK, we get somewhere in the green zone (a guess, but probably right).

As you can see, at the bottom of the cycle, the garage might actually be making a loss, with the supermarket also eating the cost of the 4c voucher on top (even with 50 litres of fill up, its still only worth $2 max). However at peak they are getting 20c extra margin (15% extra) and they arrange the length of the cycle such that the average time between fillups (16 days) means you HAVE to buy at an enhanced margin rate eventually. This is why they no longer have a weekly cycle.

As for the diesel price. It doesn't run a price cycle, meaning there is a constant margin for them. They also do the same "no cycle" in Canberra & Hobart on unleaded - I guess since there is no real chance of them being undercut by competitors, etc. Diesel is a few cents more in such locations (accounting for the increased energy content), and if you look at, say, Melbourne and take account of this offset, you get the 'flat' diesel price bisecting the price cycle. In other words the overall effective profit is the same, they just get it another way.
Another interesting read, thanks Garry

My Dad leased a succession of service stations from Shell in the 70s and 80s. He always said that he didn't make any money on fuel sales, it all came from mechanical work. He may have been overstating it when he said he didn't make any money from fuel, but he always seemed to have a cob on with Shell
Old Nov 6th 2014, 6:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Had a quick look on the drive home - cheapest diesel I could see was $1.37.

Petrol still $1.285
Old Nov 6th 2014, 8:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Paid $1.42 for E10 yesterday. Bit naffed off as our closest Caltex has just been bulldozed and won't be back in service again for 8/9 months. Have to drive 15 mins up the motorway to get my discount. Wouldn't bother but the nearest petrol stations now are all way more expensive than I pay, it's cheaper to travel to fill up than use them.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Paid $1.42 for E10 yesterday. Bit naffed off as our closest Caltex has just been bulldozed and won't be back in service again for 8/9 months. Have to drive 15 mins up the motorway to get my discount. Wouldn't bother but the nearest petrol stations now are all way more expensive than I pay, it's cheaper to travel to fill up than use them.
That sucks.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Had a quick look on the drive home - cheapest diesel I could see was $1.37.

Petrol still $1.285

Wow, that's much cheaper. I have never seen prices like that here.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 10:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Apparantly one of the stations is selling at $1.21 - don't think they do any discounts but at that price
Old Nov 6th 2014, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Apparantly one of the stations is selling at $1.21 - don't think they do any discounts but at that price
Minimum fill 100L.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 10:32 am

Minimum fill 100L.
Car only has 50l tank I think. Although I do a lot of km's my little red car does 100km on 6l blatting it up and down the expressways
Old Nov 6th 2014, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wonder if the slash in crude oil prices will mean a lower PP in Oz?

I say it won't.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 11:12 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the slash in crude oil prices will mean a lower PP in Oz?

I say it won't.
AUD is falling too which will offset this somewhat
Old Nov 7th 2014, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks.

$1:30.9 en route at at least 2 places last week en route from cleveland to wacol
Old Nov 7th 2014, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

$1.29.9 here on the North Shore of Sydney. (And you can get 4c off that price if you shop at the supermarket chain.)
Old Nov 7th 2014, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
$1.29.9 here on the North Shore of Sydney. (And you can get 4c off that price if you shop at the supermarket chain.)
I don't even notice - but that seems low.

I paid 1.14 in 2004. I paid as much as 1.50-1.80 in 2008.

I have paid something like 1.30ish in recent years.

what this tells me is that petrol is cheap. And it is certainly not sky high like other things - or has seen increases....ipso facto it's got cheaper.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

sheesh... paid 1.51 for ULP here in sunny Gladstone.. which is cheaper than it has been.. but then there is a "gladstone tax" on everything $6 for a latte anyone
Old Nov 11th 2014, 6:51 am

Petrol back to $1.283 again when I stopped today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.