Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Pension

Australian Pension

Old Apr 2nd 2018, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Pension

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Yes except I know those that are saying they bulk bill near me don't - they only bulk bill for concession card holders. There is an out of hours GP that bulk bills but I only use them when it is an out of hours emergency.

Edit - handy link though Ozzie so thanks
I'm surprised, didn't expect it to be so different to where we are. Very few if any charge around here. Thats in Melbournes inner north. Even the Skin Cancer clinic bulk bills.

So if anyone wants a bulk billing skin cancer check in Melbourne, Heres the go.

https://www.a1doctorssurgery.com.au/

I guess our muncipality isn't called the "Peoples Republic of Moreland" for nothing

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 2nd 2018 at 10:17 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm surprised, didn't expect it to be so different to where we are. Very few if any charge around here. Thats in Melbournes inner north. Even the Skin Cancer clinic bulk bills.

So if anyone wants a bulk billing skin cancer check in Melbourne, Heres the go.

https://www.a1doctorssurgery.com.au/

I guess our muncipality isn't called the "Peoples Republic of Moreland" for nothing

I must be in the Corporate State of Vincent then. My doctor has just raised her rate to $80 with nothing in the way of bulk billing in the area as far as I can ascertain. I will look harder though and perhaps go out of area.
I'm surprised there appears so much bulk billing in Melbourne.
Some had the impression it was more probable to find in struggle street suburbs. But apparently not.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I must be in the Corporate State of Vincent then. My doctor has just raised her rate to $80 with nothing in the way of bulk billing in the area as far as I can ascertain. I will look harder though and perhaps go out of area.
I'm surprised there appears so much bulk billing in Melbourne.
Some had the impression it was more probable to find in struggle street suburbs. But apparently not.

It's something I hadn't felt the need to consider and will check thoroughly in case of any future downsizing move.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here's a great tool for seeing how much one would need for retiring in Australia.

The amounts are for a couple, living a modest lifestyle would be around 36K (25K for single) per annum and for living a comfortable lifestyle around (45K for singles) 61K per annum.

It goes into more comprehensive detail on this website.

https://www.superannuation.asn.au/re...ement-standard

There's an article I'm looking for which advises how retirees can retire comfortably on 250K's worth of superannuation. Hopefully I can find it again. Basically it comes down to working casual upto the income threashold limit of 250 Dollars per fortnight and slightly beyond, which also means one stays active. Hopefully that turns up again soon.

Comfortable equates to Private Health insurance, Latest car, numerous holidays and eating out regularly etc. Oh and both figures assume you own your own home.

The article is hidden behind the following paywall. I'll try and relocate the copy I had.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites/...type=anonymous

Here's a hint at how's it's achievable from another source.

https://www.equipsuper.com.au/blog/can-you-retire-comfortably-with-$300,000

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 5th 2018 at 2:42 am.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 6:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chio1980
So rights gained over the years and it is not fair that you should discuss something that already belongs to you
Bloody spammer, and not a very clever one - reported
Old Apr 7th 2018, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Got those precious articles. The following attachments are probably the best advice I've seen for those looking at a limited superannuation payout. This advice is gold dust.

Read the 2nd item first and double click on the landscape orientated article to revert it to Portrait and therefore easily readable.
Attached Thumbnails Australian Pension-img_20180407_155631.jpg   Australian Pension-img_20180407_155227.jpg  

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 7th 2018 at 6:17 am.
Old May 14th 2018, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

carnumber7 is an unknown quantity at this point

When does the 10 years start, is it from receiving visa, or from date arrived in Australia. Also can the taxing of UK pension be confirmed by anyone?
Old May 14th 2018, 11:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carnumber7
When does the 10 years start, is it from receiving visa, or from date arrived in Australia. Also can the taxing of UK pension be confirmed by anyone?
Hi, the 10 years relates to time spent actually living in Australia as an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, or as the holder of a protected Special Category visa.

In Australia you're taxed on your worldwide income, so your UK pension would form part of your taxable income.
Old May 16th 2018, 5:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Got those precious articles. The following attachments are probably the best advice I've seen for those looking at a limited superannuation payout. This advice is gold dust.

Read the 2nd item first and double click on the landscape orientated article to revert it to Portrait and therefore easily readable.

Interesting reading and I've always said the $1m+ story is a load of bollocks - nice if you've got it but not essential . We probably won't qualify for the pension but I see that as a good thing - means you've done a good job with providing for your retirement. As for carrying on working, if I'm brutally honest with myself, I'm a lazy f**ker and need the discipline of work so definitely intend to carry on limited work as long as I can. Also, NEVER pay for financial advice (as the Royal Commission is now showing). All the info is out there for free and with a bit of time and effort you can find out what you need to know. Keep it simple - blue-chip investments that are solid and pay good dividends, some cash and maybe a property or two. Done

I still maintain that Australia is a better retirement option than the UK in financial terms (although it is better there now since the conservatives abolished the compulsory need to buy an annuity). And given the strong private pension system in the UK, they are in better shape than much of Western Europe where the state provides most of the retirement funding - baby boomers are eating it all up with little left for future generations. A huge hole opening up
Old May 16th 2018, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I might add a health aspect to this thread, as I personally think that carrying on working after retirement age is really good for maintaining health, physical, mental and financial.

I just had 3 weeks off where I drank quite a bit more than usual. Outcome of that was, I whacked on 4 kilos in 3 weeks. The thought of not being able to have a beer or 3 in a session when I retire is quite a letdown. Right now I'm working on strategies to overcome the prospect of losing good health.

I think that's as important as talking about Pensions really. I've managed to lose 2.5 of those kilos already....but I've gone totally on the wagon and I'm not enjoying that at all.
Old May 16th 2018, 2:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I might add a health aspect to this thread, as I personally think that carrying on working after retirement age is really good for maintaining health, physical, mental and financial.

I just had 3 weeks off where I drank quite a bit more than usual. Outcome of that was, I whacked on 4 kilos in 3 weeks. The thought of not being able to have a beer or 3 in a session when I retire is quite a letdown. Right now I'm working on strategies to overcome the prospect of losing good health.

I think that's as important as talking about Pensions really. I've managed to lose 2.5 of those kilos already....but I've gone totally on the wagon and I'm not enjoying that at all.
Agree - if you haven't got health, wealth means nothing. Some kind of work gives you stimulus and keeps the brain firing. Look at the dude who's just been voted in as Malaysia's PM - 92!
Old May 19th 2018, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are some really technical and little-known tax savings when one actually reaches the full retirement age of 66/67 here in Victoria and probably mirrored around the country.

Things like no Stamp Duty on downsizing houses etc. There are a couple of others like that.

One thing I don't get is annuities v draw down on Super. How is an Annuity better than drawing down when needed. If one has an annuity the government automatically deducts 50pct of whatever they receive above 18K from their pension. Whereas with a draw down you only lose that 50pct (above 18K) of pension on what you draw down....which is bound to be less I would have thought than an annuity amount.

I'll be asking my Tax Accountant, who is very good at the government rules, about these little anomalies and reporting back.
Old May 19th 2018, 6:30 am
Concierge

There are some really technical and little-known tax savings when one actually reaches the full retirement age of 66/67 here in Victoria and probably mirrored around the country.

Things like no Stamp Duty on downsizing houses etc. There are a couple of others like that.
One of Colin Barnett's election promises was a reduction in stamp duty for WA seniors who downsized, with a maximum discount of $15,000. From what I can see that hasn't eventuated but fingers crossed.

WA does have one of the most generous rebate schemes in terms of utilities though. Seniors who have both a Commonwealth and WA Seniors card get 50% off their local government rates and their water service and consumption charges, pay no driving licence fees and some other rebates/discounts that escape me at the moment.
Old May 19th 2018, 7:18 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We probably won't qualify for the pension but I see that as a good thing - means you've done a good job with providing for your retirement. As for carrying on working, if I'm brutally honest with myself, I'm a lazy f**ker and need the discipline of work so definitely intend to carry on limited work as long as I can.
Zulu, I don't know how old you are but under the current legislation self-funded retirees and seniors who work less that 25 hours per week are eligible for some quite good concessions/rebates.

Eligibility for the WA Seniors card isn't income or assets tested, you just need to be 65 or over (less if you were born before 30 June 1959), working less than 25 hours per week and be a WA permanent resident/citizen. This card gives you 25% discount on your local government and water rates, among other benefits. If you also have a Commonwealth Seniors card, the local government and water rates discount rises to 50%.

Eligibility for the Commonwealth Seniors card is:
Have reached Age Pension age
Are not eligible for an Age Pension, Veterans Pension
Have an annual income of less than $86,077 (for couples), $53,800 (for singles)
Australian resident
There is no asset test.
Old May 19th 2018, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Zulu, I don't know how old you are but under the current legislation self-funded retirees and seniors who work less that 25 hours per week are eligible for some quite good concessions/rebates.
Once you hit retirement age (currently 65 1/2 years) you can claim SAPTO tax free allowance which means that you can earn $28,974 (normally $18,200) before you start paying any tax at all. This excludes any Australian Super you receive which is tax free.
https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/I...r-Australians/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.