Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Pension

Australian Pension

Old Mar 28th 2018, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Pension

Originally Posted by sign
Reading up today. I'm 18 years short on NI payments. I go at 67.

But even if I retired today, and still 18 years short on NI payments.

They would top me up to £159.35 a week as this is the minimum payment threshold. You can own a house, pay no council tax and have up to £10k in the bank. I have no private pension and no super so I would qualify. Better than a kick in the goolies.

Saying that if I work every year then I will make at least 16 years of NI payments before 67.

If I moved back to Oz at 62. I'd get full state pension at 67.

But I bet the world will be a different place in 16 years time.

If the man with the nylon swede has his way hey...

Not sure how short I am in the UK..... But I only had 8 years in the adult workforce from age 16 - 24. Can someone point me at the calculator so I can do a comparison please and how much top up I would need. Can you pay it in a lump sum as well? I dont think it's worth my while even if greater in the UK.

I dont think the means test is going to be an issue for you, by the sounds of things. If it is it means your doing well.

There was an article somewhere saying how well you can do on a 250K super payout. I'll try and copy it and post it on here. It does involve working casually though up to that 250 dollars (or more if you like) income threashold. Which is probably good for your soul and body anyway. The article had some really good tips.

I think personally the main emphasis of working after pension age, is "Casual" work so you can come and go as you please. Pretty easy to find apparently, the proof is in the pudding with that one though. Depends a lot on how one is ageing as well. Not an issue for me personally thus far touch wood.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 28th 2018 at 12:03 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Not sure how short I am in the UK..... But I only had 8 years in the adult workforce from age 16 - 24. Can someone point me at the calculator so I can do a comparison please and how much top up I would need. Can you pay it in a lump sum as well? I dont think it's worth my while even if greater in the UK.

If you have 8 years NI contributions then you currently won’t get any UK pension (assuming you’re not living in the UK) because the minimum number of years you need to get anything at all is 10 years.

In your case it would most definitely be worth your while paying the extra 2 years worth of contributions - you can pay a lump sum, So you’ll receive 10/35ths of the full UK pension when you hit your retirement age. And 10/35ths is a whole lot better than nothing :-)

I’ve done exactly that myself. Paid about 1300 pounds for two years NI to bring me up to the minimum 10 years. Just have to wait another two years before I can claim it.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
If you have 8 years NI contributions then you currently won’t get any UK pension (assuming you’re not living in the UK) because the minimum number of years you need to get anything at all is 10 years.

In your case it would most definitely be worth your while paying the extra 2 years worth of contributions - you can pay a lump sum, So you’ll receive 10/35ths of the full UK pension when you hit your retirement age. And 10/35ths is a whole lot better than nothing :-)

I’ve done exactly that myself. Paid about 1300 pounds for two years NI to bring me up to the minimum 10 years. Just have to wait another two years before I can claim it.

Ahaa.... 'cos you get it without being means tested, correct?
Old Mar 28th 2018, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Ahaa.... 'cos you get it without being means tested, correct?
Yes. Not means tested at all.

Just had a thought, though. I do not and (hopefully) will not ever qualify for an Australian Age Pension so in my case it's a no-brainer to pay the extra in order to get the UK pension. Having it won't affect any Australian Age pension at all because I won't have one.

In your case, if you're trying to keep your income below a particular threshold you might want to think twice. Centrelink usually make you claim any pension from foreign countries that you qualify for and then they make up the difference. Not sure if it's a dollar for dollar difference - probably is. As you don't currently qualify for the UK pension you could well shoot yourself in the foot by paying the 1300 pounds extra in order to get it as you'd likely end up with the same amount in your pocket at the end of the day. You'd need to do all the sums to see if it's worth it.

Sorry for the confusion - as you can see it's not as straightforward for everyone.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyC
Yes. Not means tested at all.

Just had a thought, though. I do not and (hopefully) will not ever qualify for an Australian Age Pension so in my case it's a no-brainer to pay the extra in order to get the UK pension. Having it won't affect any Australian Age pension at all because I won't have one.

In your case, if you're trying to keep your income below a particular threshold you might want to think twice. Centrelink usually make you claim any pension from foreign countries that you qualify for and then they make up the difference. Not sure if it's a dollar for dollar difference - probably is. As you don't currently qualify for the UK pension you could well shoot yourself in the foot by paying the 1300 pounds extra in order to get it as you'd likely end up with the same amount in your pocket at the end of the day. You'd need to do all the sums to see if it's worth it.

Sorry for the confusion - as you can see it's not as straightforward for everyone.

Yes, I'm in a different position, I'm aiming to come in just under the pension threshold. Otherwise, I would be down the bottom end of the fully self-funded retirees..... I'd rather spend my super on good times then downsize to the country and use that balance as a pension in say 10-12 years. Luckily I bought in a good location in 1986, just means I've got to move to a provincial location eventually.

I daresay there won't be many superannuation lump sum payouts in the future for the very reason in which we are using ours.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You would get medical care here too

Both health systems are excellent - especially as they are essentially free at point of use
IF you can find a bulk billing GP - and even then the cost of prescriptions is higher here than back home. I know the health system in Aus is probably as good as back home, but it costs me far more to get treatment here than at home.

Plus my pension will then be index linked. And I do not wish to die in this god-forsaken country!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 29th 2018 at 4:31 am.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
IF you can find a bulk billing GP - and even then the cost of prescriptions is higher here than back home. I know the health system in Aus is probably as good as back home, but it costs me far more to get treatment here than at home.

Plus my pension will then be index linked. And I do not wish to die in this god-forsaken country!!

Everywhere is Bulkbilling here Polly. Hardly any doctors charge. You'll be right opposite one when you come to Melbourne. It might still be 24 hours as well. It certainly used to be.

Must be a place that GP's want to live in.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 6:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere is Bulkbilling here Polly. Hardly any doctors charge. You'll be right opposite one when you come to Melbourne. It might still be 24 hours as well. It certainly used to be.

Must be a place that GP's want to live in.
Bulk billing doctors are increasing everywhere - plenty around here and more opening. Medical schools turning out more graduates than required means that BB is the only way many of them can make a living
Old Mar 29th 2018, 6:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Cool. I wouldn't want to die in your god-forsaken country. Each to their own

I am expecting that the NHS and Medicare will become far less generous in the not too distant future - an ageing population has its drawbacks and something will have to give
Old Mar 30th 2018, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/gover...&origin=PERTAX
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

No bulk billing in my area of Perth. In fact my local GP's have no long ago increased charges. Last visit there for a very simple requirement, when said, "Just a question about another matter", received the retort "You asked for a short consultation", to which I found rather offensive. The entire visit was less than ten minutes.

On what I hear, I suspect standards are slipping in both countries, (due to added pressure)if it is UK and Australia comparisons. By that I understand waiting lists are ever increasing in both countries. A certain cancer drug is not yet available in Australia, but I believe is in UK, at least here in Perth, and I have no reason to suspect the same applies all main centres in Australia, patents at times cannot find a bed in a hospital after arriving by ambulance and are "ramped' (I believe that is the word used?) to corridors or other hospitals .....
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
No bulk billing in my area of Perth. In fact my local GP's have no long ago increased charges. Last visit there for a very simple requirement, when said, "Just a question about another matter", received the retort "You asked for a short consultation", to which I found rather offensive. The entire visit was less than ten minutes.

On what I hear, I suspect standards are slipping in both countries, (due to added pressure)if it is UK and Australia comparisons. By that I understand waiting lists are ever increasing in both countries. A certain cancer drug is not yet available in Australia, but I believe is in UK, at least here in Perth, and I have no reason to suspect the same applies all main centres in Australia, patents at times cannot find a bed in a hospital after arriving by ambulance and are "ramped' (I believe that is the word used?) to corridors or other hospitals .....
This is supposed to run in Perth as well..... Home Visits bulk billed.

https://homedoctor.com.au/
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 6:51 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

This is supposed to run in Perth as well..... Home Visits bulk billed.

https://homedoctor.com.au/
That's for urgent care, out of hours Ozzie.

My GP is not bulk-billing either, although anyone with a concession card does not pay.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
That's for urgent care, out of hours Ozzie.

My GP is not bulk-billing either, although anyone with a concession card does not pay.
Over 400 bulkbilling doctors in Adelaide.

https://healthengine.com.au/find/bul...g-gp/Adelaide/

Any of these near you?

Anyone needing a bulk billing doctor in their locale, go to the Healthengine.com.au. website.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 2nd 2018 at 10:06 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 10:09 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Over 400 bulkbilling doctors in Adelaide.

https://healthengine.com.au/find/bul...g-gp/Adelaide/

Any of these near you?

Anyone needing a bulk billing doctor in their locale, go to the Healthengine.com.au. website.
Yes except I know those that are saying they bulk bill near me don't - they only bulk bill for concession card holders. There is an out of hours GP that bulk bills but I only use them when it is an out of hours emergency.

Edit - handy link though Ozzie so thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.