Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Pension

Australian Pension

Old Sep 2nd 2018, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australian Pension

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Besides cashing in my private pension.
Be careful here if you cash in your pension is it treated as income in Oz.

My UK private pension is tax free in uk but I have to declare it as income here and subject to tax.
It might be safer to wait until you hit Oz retirement age 65 years 6 months because then your tax free allowance increase significantly form $18,200 to $32,279 because you become eligible for SAPTO and LITO.

I don't worry about commissions and exchange rates for my tax return, I just input what I actually receive into my Oz bank account to keep my tax return simple.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Be careful here if you cash in your pension is it treated as income in Oz.

My UK private pension is tax free in uk but I have to declare it as income here and subject to tax.
It might be safer to wait until you hit Oz retirement age 65 years 6 months because then your tax free allowance increase significantly form $18,200 to $32,279 because you become eligible for SAPTO and LITO.

I don't worry about commissions and exchange rates for my tax return, I just input what I actually receive into my Oz bank account to keep my tax return simple.

Good advice, I didn't realise cashing that Pension would be subject to tax. I knew about the 18,200 to 32,279 income though. My retirement age will be 66 unfortunately, not 65 and 6 months, I miss out on that sliding scale. My wife actually fares worse and doesn't reach pension age until 67. Lucky I mentioned it on here, you've save me a few K I reckon. Thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My retirement age will be 66 unfortunately, not 65 and 6 months,
Maybe not I hit 65 and 6 months on 30 May and the end of the tax year is 30 June and I claimed the SAPTO and LITO and I appear to have received the whole years allowance rather then just the 1 month I was expecting.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 7:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Indeed. That's even happening in the ACT. Just a year or two ago it was hard to find a bulk billing doctor without having to wait in a long queue to see one.
Got a flyer in the mailbox on the weekend advertising yet another BB clinic opening. This one is right here in Kalamunda, 3 minutes away

I was reading the other day that the gov. is going to limit the number of doctors coming in from overseas (and even not renew visas of some already here) as there is now no longer a shortage of doctors