Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

australian passports

australian passports

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:05 am
WBB

Default australian passports

assuming i get my visa in the next week or so we intend to validate as soon as we can get the kids australian passports and flights sorted out, anyone know if you can get the passports by going to aussie house in london or is it all done through the post?

if it is a postal thing, how long does it take?

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:08 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: australian passports

Originally posted by WBB
assuming i get my visa in the next week or so we intend to validate as soon as we can get the kids australian passports and flights sorted out, anyone know if you can get the passports by going to aussie house in london or is it all done through the post?

if it is a postal thing, how long does it take?

Hi WBB

Theres a sections on the Australia house website called Australians in the UK heres the link http://www.australia.org.uk/ausuk/html/index.html
has info about applying for passports etc

Hope its helpful
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:19 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

You'd better hope it's not a postal thing with your luck, WBB!!!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:20 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I was going to say - not more waiting for the post - you can't stand it!! ( and neither can we!)
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: australian passports

Originally posted by WBB if it is a postal thing, how long does it take?
Possibly a bit longer than normal. Recently my nephews tried to renew their Australian passports while in Bangkok.

They were told Australian passports are not only being renewed from Australia rather than locally. I suspect this is because some new higher security passports are being introduced. Since, in their case, they were due to fly back to Austrlalia to re-commence school they were advised to wait till they got here as processing was taking longer than usual and it was the busy time.

Isn't it always.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:24 am
WBB

just had a look at that link that BKate provided and it seems they are done by post in less than 10 days, that will be OK as long as they are done in time for any flights we book.

you can pay an extra £26 for priority processing and have them done in 2 days.

a licence to print money.

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:51 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by WBB
just had a look at that link that BKate provided and it seems they are done by post in less than 10 days, that will be OK as long as they are done in time for any flights we book.

you can pay an extra £26 for priority processing and have them done in 2 days.

a licence to print money.
WBB

Did you see this bit on the website it suggests you can go in person.

PERSONAL ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS

Personal attendance in London, Manchester or Edinburgh is required unless you are applying to renew a passport issued after 20 August 1986 and provided the passport was issued with an original validity of two years or more. However, if you are applying for your first passport since turning 18 years of age, you must lodge your application in person.

If you are applying for a passport for a minor, it is not necessary for the minor to personally attend as one of the minor's parents can lodge the application in person on their behalf.

APPOINTMENTS ARE NOT ARRANGED FOR PERSONAL LODGEMENT OF APPLICATIONS.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:06 am
WBB

Originally posted by BKate
WBB

Did you see this bit on the website it suggests you can go in person.

PERSONAL ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS

Personal attendance in London, Manchester or Edinburgh is required unless you are applying to renew a passport issued after 20 August 1986 and provided the passport was issued with an original validity of two years or more. However, if you are applying for your first passport since turning 18 years of age, you must lodge your application in person.

If you are applying for a passport for a minor, it is not necessary for the minor to personally attend as one of the minor's parents can lodge the application in person on their behalf.

APPOINTMENTS ARE NOT ARRANGED FOR PERSONAL LODGEMENT OF APPLICATIONS.
i read that bit, but now i have read it again does it mean we HAVE to go in person, the passports will be for our children who have never held australian passports before and were born in the UK, they were made australian citizens by descent last year and have an australian mother.

we would not mind a day out in london but if we can avoid it we will.

Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:09 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by WBB
i read that bit, but now i have read it again does it mean we HAVE to go in person, the passports will be for our children who have never held australian passports before and were born in the UK, they were made australian citizens by descent last year and have an australian mother.

sounds complicated doesn't it ? I hope we don't have to got to London when we eventually get ours through as its a bit of a trek from Newcastle !!

Warren
Perth 2004...

Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:22 am
Paddington Brisbane

Originally posted by WBB

I think its for first applications, so it would seem you would have to go for the kids, strange but I have read they're very cautious about security now.
Try emailing them on passports dot lhlh at dfat dot gov dot au
Now I'm thinking you can lodge in person but they don't do it instantly they post the passport to you.
Bit of a hassle hey!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by WBB

hiya,

I can confirm that if it is your children's first australian passports, you need to attend an interview. My husband went last week, sat in a queue for 2 hours then had the interview which was about 3 minutes long!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsTurbo
hiya,

I can confirm that if it is your children's first australian passports, you need to attend an interview. My husband went last week, sat in a queue for 2 hours then had the interview which was about 3 minutes long!
and then they post the passport to you within 10 days!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:17 pm
WBB

OK that settles it then, thanks for your help.

looks like a trip to london could be on the cards.

Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:06 pm
WBB

just to confirm this, i just got an email back from AHC:

First passports need to be applied for in person. A parent will need to submit the application at our office with all the documentation stated on the application. The children do not need to be present.

Regards
Australian Passport Office
Australian High Commission, London
WC2B 4LA
020 7887 5816
www.australia.org.uk
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

I renewed my Oz passport last year in person at AH in the Strand. I got the new one in the post really quickly - 3 days later!Pretty amazing. Maybe that's what the case officers are doing while they're sitting on piles of unprocessed skilled immo applications

So even if you have to do it in person you should get them back relatively quickly.

Just make sure (if you haven't been there before) that you go in the right door. It's the one on the north side of the building (towards Aldwych / Kingsway). Otherwise you get to queue extra time in the wrong queue, for holiday visas. As I did once

Have fun in the big smoke...

K_M