Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian passport......

Australian passport......

Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:09 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian passport......

Now my OH has been granted citizenship he can apply for his Australian passport. Has anyone else applied for their first passport while in the UK and is it correct that you have to go to Australia House, London in person to make the application? Thanks..... C x
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:13 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian passport......

this should help
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:19 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Thanks looks like a trip to London is necessary then....... C x
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
Thanks looks like a trip to London is necessary then....... C x
Yep, and if you have any children or plan to have any in the near future and still haven't got to Oz, you'll have to go there again to get theirs (if they are eligible of course, depending on whether your OH applied for citizenship by descent or birth). Gets a bit wearing after a while.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

jateai will become famous soon enough

Now my OH has been granted citizenship he can apply for his Australian passport. Has anyone else applied for their first passport while in the UK and is it correct that you have to go to Australia House, London in person to make the application? Thanks..... C x
Yes you do we went in July I suggest you take something to read and a drink it took hours. Also make sure the photos are suitable they are very fussy and will send you away to get new ones, we saw a few people have this happen to them. They call you up to the counter look through your documents and sometimes ask questions about whats on the form, the interview part doesn't take long. Then about 10 days later if everythings ok you passport arrives by recorded post, though as I wasn't home my postman just put them through the letterbox without getting a signature.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jateai
Yes you do we went in July I suggest you take something to read and a drink it took hours. Also make sure the photos are suitable they are very fussy and will send you away to get new ones, we saw a few people have this happen to them. They call you up to the counter look through your documents and sometimes ask questions about whats on the form, the interview part doesn't take long. Then about 10 days later if everythings ok you passport arrives by recorded post, though as I wasn't home my postman just put them through the letterbox without getting a signature.
We took our own photos with our digital camera and printed them on photo paper, and they didn't seem to find this a problem (even the ones of our baby who was 2 months old at the time). However, there was a moment of mild panic when we thought we'd lost them when all the time they'd stuck to the back of a post-it ). Hubby spent the time waiting repairing a puncture in the pram wheel, and I spent it breastfeeding the baby, surprising how fast time goes when you're busy!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:05 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
Yep, and if you have any children or plan to have any in the near future and still haven't got to Oz, you'll have to go there again to get theirs (if they are eligible of course, depending on whether your OH applied for citizenship by descent or birth). Gets a bit wearing after a while.
Citizenship was granted by descent so kids aren't eligible yet, unfortunately.
Did you guys just go down as website says they don't have an appointment system? So there seems no point in ringing them about this..... Will he be ok to attend on his own as its only him whos eligible at the moment.... C x
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
We took our own photos with our digital camera and printed them on photo paper, and they didn't seem to find this a problem (even the ones of our baby who was 2 months old at the time). However, there was a moment of mild panic when we thought we'd lost them when all the time they'd stuck to the back of a post-it ). Hubby spent the time waiting repairing a puncture in the pram wheel, and I spent it breastfeeding the baby, surprising how fast time goes when you're busy!

How long ago was that? The form we had off them specifically said we couldn't use digital camera photos. Maybe it depends on the person checking them. I know the woman who was in front of me was told her photos of her daughter were no good because she was smiling and her head didn't take up enough of the photo, to say she wasn't happy would be an understatement.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Citizenship was granted by descent so kids aren't eligible yet, unfortunately.
Did you guys just go down as website says they don't have an appointment system? So there seems no point in ringing them about this..... Will he be ok to attend on his own as its only him whos eligible at the moment.... C x
yes just turned up, took a number then waited, at times thought the machine was broken as the numbers changed so slow.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:28 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by jateai
yes just turned up, took a number then waited, at times thought the machine was broken as the numbers changed so slow.
OK thanks....Im sure he'll look forward to that!!!! C x