Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

australian passport

australian passport

Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:18 pm
WBB

Default australian passport

aussie passports, anyone got any experience of getting one in london?

the reason i ask is we are going to have to get them for the kids (aussie citizens by descent) before we can book any flights, anyone got any idea of the quickest way to go about it, i have looked at the website and have emailed them requesting the appropriate forms to apply, what we are concerned about is how long it will take to get them. anyone know if there is a fast track service?

god this emigration business is stressful

Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: australian passport

Originally posted by WBB

the reason i ask is we are going to have to get them for the kids (aussie citizens by descent) before we can book any flights, anyone got any idea of the quickest way to go about it, i have looked at the website and have emailed them requesting the appropriate forms to apply, what we are concerned about is how long it will take to get them. anyone know if there is a fast track service?

http://www.australia.org.uk/AUSUK/HT...pplication.htm
Good luck with it but an alternative is an Australian declatory visa. I am not sure about the details or processing times but it might prompt someone.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:21 pm
WBB

been there done that, what i need to know is how long the process takes?

Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:27 pm
EEL
Forum Regular

EEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by WBB

We are in the process of doing the same thing for our son. As far as I can work out you have to fill out and send off Form 118 - Application for registation of Australian Citizenship by Descent. Once you get the necessary bit of paper back then you can apply for a passport. I printed the 118 form off the Immi website. I don't think the timescale for registering and for getting the passports is very long at all. Can't remember exactly how long it is - but I remember that when I looked at the website I was pleased that it wasn't months and months.

One question for you - you say you can't book flights without them. I can't remember as it has been so long since I booked a flight internationally - do they ask for passport numbers when you book?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:31 pm
WBB

Originally posted by EEL
We are in the process of doing the same thing for our son. As far as I can work out you have to fill out and send off Form 118 - Application for registation of Australian Citizenship by Descent. Once you get the necessary bit of paper back then you can apply for a passport. I printed the 118 form off the Immi website. I don't think the timescale for registering and for getting the passports is very long at all. Can't remember exactly how long it is - but I remember that when I looked at the website I was pleased that it wasn't months and months.

One question for you - you say you can't book flights without them. I can't remember as it has been so long since I booked a flight internationally - do they ask for passport numbers when you book?
we already have the citizenship by descent, what we need now is the passports in order to travel as a family to aussie, i will travel on my british passport with a visa in it and the 3 girls will have aussie passports.
what i mean by not being able to book flights is we do not want to risk booking flights until we have the passports in hand, they do not ask for passport numbers at the time of booking.

BTW the citizenship thing took us a month from sending the forms off to receiving the citizenship.

Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:34 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by WBB

When we got passports for our children (also aussie citizens by descent) we had to actually go to Oz house in London to lodge the application in person. This, at the time (last april/may) was the only way to get their passport as it was their first aussie one.

we had to take a ticket (like at the deli counter in Sainsbury's!!) and just sit and wait.....If you take your children with you go prepared. We were there hour and a half and once I got called up to the counter was over and done with in 10mins!!!

BUT......you don't get your passport there and then. They sent it on about week to 10 days later. It did arrive when they said it would though....

You will need to check on their web site to see if there is a quicker way.

Sally
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:48 am
WBB

Originally posted by sally1968
When we got passports for our children (also aussie citizens by descent) we had to actually go to Oz house in London to lodge the application in person. This, at the time (last april/may) was the only way to get their passport as it was their first aussie one.

we had to take a ticket (like at the deli counter in Sainsbury's!!) and just sit and wait.....If you take your children with you go prepared. We were there hour and a half and once I got called up to the counter was over and done with in 10mins!!!

BUT......you don't get your passport there and then. They sent it on about week to 10 days later. It did arrive when they said it would though....

You will need to check on their web site to see if there is a quicker way.

Sally
cheers for your help, it is still the case that i have to visit aussie house to get the passport, a quick interview too i think.

how did you get the forms, we have requested them by email and phone and still nothing has arrived, as the clock is ticking it is getting closer to our intended date of travel (6th april) and we want to get a move on with the passports.

Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there (congrats on the visa by the way)
If you time it right you won't have to queue too long in Australia House. Make sure you get there as soon as it opens, preferably mid-week. Be careful you get the right door or you will end up queuing behind a bunch of people getting normal tourist visas.

When I renewed my p/p I only queued for about 10 mins, it took approx 3 mins to hand over the forms and have them checked, and the passport arrived by mail within a couple of days.

You can download the necessary forms from here https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/For...assport_0.aspx

I think I saw a "priority processing" option on that site somewhere, but not sure if that applies to overseas applications.

Hope this helps

K_M