British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australian Magpies Is It Just Us?????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australian-magpies-just-us-278510/)

Lori&Andy Jan 19th 2005 3:18 am

Australian Magpies Is It Just Us??????

This is going to sound so whimpy lol but we have recently moved to a rental property in the sticks in Woombye on Sunshine Coast, when we arrived I thought my those magpies are tame I had never seen a magpie sit at someone's feet like that before, but when it flew at Andy's head screeching, I became a little uneasy, now the things terrify me when I go to put out the washing they fly at me and have even been on our fly screens eating stuff off them, I know it's not their nesting time now so it's not that they're being protective over their chicks, so what is it with these magpies. Anyone else experienced overly friendly birds????????

I'm running out of ways to overcome the fear tried a hat, tried a cd and sunglasses nothing's working :scared:

Lori

Hels Jan 19th 2005 3:23 am

Re: Australian Magpies Is It Just Us??????

Originally Posted by Lori&Andy
This is going to sound so whimpy lol but we have recently moved to a rental property in the sticks in Woombye on Sunshine Coast, when we arrived I thought my those magpies are tame I had never seen a magpie sit at someone's feet like that before, but when it flew at Andy's head screeching, I became a little uneasy, now the things terrify me when I go to put out the washing they fly at me and have even been on our fly screens eating stuff off them, I know it's not their nesting time now so it's not that they're being protective over their chicks, so what is it with these magpies. Anyone else experienced overly friendly birds????????

I'm running out of ways to overcome the fear tried a hat, tried a cd and sunglasses nothing's working :scared:

Lori

We have a family of Maggies in the bush over the road from our house. They come and feed in our lawn etc. They have never swooped at us before tho.

Perhaps the people that lived in the house before you fed them? Perhaps they are expecting you to do the same and are confused that you are not?

Or...perhaps they are really Hair Birds?? The ones that attack at the first site of human hair? They are a distant relative to Drop Bears..... ;) :D

jayr Jan 19th 2005 3:24 am

Lori

I thought it was out of nesting season - isn't that more like October time??? They are famous for attacking kids on bikes (that is the kids are on the bikes not the magpies). You can buy big eyes to stick on the back of bike helmets and red flags - apaprently they like attacking eyes, whether real ones or not. There are ads on the TV about avoiding them during nesting season.

mlbonner Jan 19th 2005 3:37 am

Originally Posted by jayr
I thought it was out of nesting season - isn't that more like October time??? They are famous for attacking kids on bikes (that is the kids are on the bikes not the magpies). You can buy big eyes to stick on the back of bike helmets and red flags - apaprently they like attacking eyes, whether real ones or not. There are ads on the TV about avoiding them during nesting season.

I thought it was October too. I've heard stories too, where in certain areas, the school kids have to have big eyes on the bag of their school hats, to try and prevent being swooped on!

Never seen it happen, but it sounds like it does quite a bit! :scared:

jayr Jan 19th 2005 3:48 am

For those who don't believe all this nonsense, check out the link and scroll down to see some swooping magpies and some avoidance tips, including putting eyes on the back of your bike helmet....

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/dse/nrenpa...256C290005F61B

MarkMyWords Jan 19th 2005 3:49 am

I'm running out of ways to overcome the fear tried a hat, tried a cd and sunglasses nothing's working

Which CD? Is that something soothing to distract you from the fear, or something loud and percussive to scare the magpies?

MarkMyWords Jan 19th 2005 3:50 am

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Which CD? Is that something soothing to distract you from the fear, or something loud and percussive to scare the magpies?

BTW that was a joke! (Oh dear, it'll turn out now that you really did mean playing a CD...)

andrew63 Jan 19th 2005 4:00 am

Interesting stats on injuries: http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs...s/magpies.html
Scary stuff!

Andrew

gedge Jan 19th 2005 4:15 am

http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribb...img/postie.jpg

Lori&Andy Jan 19th 2005 4:25 am

You're right those of you who said they're not nesting, it's not the right time of year, I did try feeding them, perhaps because it was bread I was feeding them with was why they screeched and flapped perhaps I should try seed. Or just continue avoiding them :D

LOL no I did not play them a CD I stuck one curtoesy of AOL on the line on a bit of string and it still wanted it :D

I read through that list of injuries I wish I hadn't now :eek: I'd like to keep my eyes!

Lori

Zentack Jan 19th 2005 5:05 am

You're probably like us and have a group of juvenile magpies who've picked your yard as their playground. You can normally spot the juveniles as they are a bit more brownish in colour, and are more curious than fearful of us people. We've also got juvenile butcher birds, and wily wagtails all fighting for the same turf. Couple of times we've had juvenile birds miss judging a landing and hitting a window!!

Well it beats reality TV and keeps us entertained.

Quinkana Jan 19th 2005 5:23 am

You're right those of you who said they're not nesting, it's not the right time of year, I did try feeding them, perhaps because it was bread I was feeding them with was why they screeched and flapped perhaps I should try seed. Or just continue avoiding them :D

LOL no I did not play them a CD I stuck one curtoesy of AOL on the line on a bit of string and it still wanted it :D

I read through that list of injuries I wish I hadn't now :eek: I'd like to keep my eyes!

Lori

They eat MEAT (and grubs and insects). Dig in the garden and show them some grubs. Would say the previous occupants have brought them up like city slickers by bringing home takeaway from the butcher.

Hels Jan 19th 2005 5:49 am

Lori

I had an Aunt who used to feed local maggies mince...they LOVED it!!!!

She never got swooped...even in nesting time... :)

ProofReader Jan 19th 2005 6:17 am

Magpies are territorial birds and probably see you as a threat. Try feeding them any meaty things: left over bits of cold meat/fat, chicken skin, the fatty rinds/gristle off steak, bacon rinds, etc. That way they'll view you in a different light, ie not a threat. If you don't want to encourage them (although I'd suggest that it's easier to do so due to their strong territorial instincts), keep a stick or small branch (broom, etc) near your back door and hold/wave it above your head when they swoop. My Mum used the latter method and they eventually gave up! :D

wombat42 Jan 19th 2005 6:30 am

A shotgun usually takes care of a Magpie problem and there nothing left to clean up except for a few feathers. :D