Reload this Page >

Australian internal flights!

Australian internal flights!

Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian internal flights!

hi all
as some of you know, i am planning a fact finding trip to oz for 2 weeks around end of October. I am planning on staying with sister-in law in perth, but hubbies cousin has just invited me to visit him in Sydney, i thought wow, i'd love to visit sydney so i've just been on the net to get some ideas of the price of an internal flight from perth to sydney, well i must surley be doing it wrong! coz the prices i have seen are more than the return flight from uk to perth! (prices around GBP 650) Has any one done this while in oz?

cheers
ellen1 :scared:
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:14 pm
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian internal flights!

I wouldn't be surprised. There isn't much competition in AU so the main carrier (QANTAS) can set prices however they want .

There is some competition by Virgin Blue http://www.virginblue.com.au

I just priced it out for AU$400.00 using dates of Oct 17 and Oct 31 from Perth to Sydney.

Try their site for pricing.

Originally posted by ellen fedulow
hi all
as some of you know, i am planning a fact finding trip to oz for 2 weeks around end of October. I am planning on staying with sister-in law in perth, but hubbies cousin has just invited me to visit him in Sydney, i thought wow, i'd love to visit sydney so i've just been on the net to get some ideas of the price of an internal flight from perth to sydney, well i must surley be doing it wrong! coz the prices i have seen are more than the return flight from uk to perth! (prices around GBP 650) Has any one done this while in oz?

cheers
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:18 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

cheers
Yes they are blooooody expensive, you need to try internal oz sites like virgin blue, and fly off peak (like crappy 4.00 am flights) and book them up weeks in advance. My mum came over from spain and could not believe the cost of internal flights. She visits me here and flys to Perth to see her brother.

Best deal...when booking flight in UK, see if they have deal for a couple of hundred pounds for a few flights internal. And then check when you can take them. Book dates before you come over if possible....makes for easier flying.

Best of luck
Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

hi all

cheers

I thought Virgin blue were quite reasonable we priced from Syd to Brisbane in Jan for $99 each way. They had one for $69.

I am sure prices go up nearer the time so I had better start booking soon!
Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Try booking London - Sydney with a stop-off in Perth.

You can often get "free" stop-offs included in a long-haul flight. Just make sure that you can stay the required time in Perth!

No-one's to know that's the actual destination....
Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:38 pm
I Love Brisbane !

Brisgal is an unknown quantity at this point

The flight to Perth from Sydney is about 6-7 hours - this is how long it takes to fly from Brisbane to Singapore..so I guess the costs reflects the distance.

The red-eye is the most popular flight from Perth-Sydney. You leave Perth really late arriving in Sydney in the morning.

Virgin Blue is great if you can book way in advance. If you purchase closer to your travel date, costs are not much cheaper than Qantas.

I have always found internal flights in Oz quite expensive, we don't have any airlines like EasyJet, Ryan air etc... buy in advance is my advice!!!

Good Luck!!

Sera
Old Sep 21st 2003, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

cheers

Hi Ellen,

We went to oz this july for a 3 week trip. Here is our flight itinerary:

Heathrow to Bangkok
Bangkok to Sydney
Sydney to Cairns
Cairns to Melbourne
Melbourne to Sydney
Sydney to Bangkok
Bangkok to Heathrow.

Flights cost £5500 for the five of us, 3 adults and 2 children ( who had to pay full price for a seat. ) that works out at £1100 each for a return fare via Bangkok and three internal flights, sorry - can't remember what the individual prices were. I've heard that Virgin Blue do cheap internal flights, there were lots of $99 signs for V.Blue at the airports while we were there.

Best wishes, leigh.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all your advice, coz i'm not sure on dates, it sounds like i would be better booking internal flights when i get there.

cheers
ellen1
Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:27 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi there

my niece flew perth - sydney and back fir $199 last month

think she booked only a week in advance

Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew Virgin Blue Syd to Maroochydore. I felt very cramped but I wasn't bothered for a 90 minute flight. I would certainly think about paying a bit extra for the bit of extra leg room on Quantas for the flight to Perth.

There is another airline here called Rex. Rex serves the tiny little airports in regional Australia. Check them out on www.rex.com.au .