Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian household poverty?

Australian household poverty?

Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

playingdiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian household poverty?

hey, i have been searching the net for ages looking for a site that will tell me what the Australian minimum annual income is for a household of 3. i want to find out if i make enough money in a year to sponsor my fiance on a prospective marriage visa, he lives in US at the moment. If anyone has any ideas or sites or contact detail i can go to please let me
thanks
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:33 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Australian household poverty?

What do you mean by "minimum annual income for a family of three"?

Do you mean the minimum amount to support a family of three?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Australian household poverty?

Originally Posted by playingdiva
hey, i have been searching the net for ages looking for a site that will tell me what the Australian minimum annual income is for a household of 3. i want to find out if i make enough money in a year to sponsor my fiance on a prospective marriage visa, he lives in US at the moment. If anyone has any ideas or sites or contact detail i can go to please let me
thanks
You can check out the revelant information at the Australian Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs for the basic information or phone your local office.

http://www.immi.gov.au/

http://www.immi.gov.au/sponsor/overview.htm
Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Yes i mean to surport a family of three. I know in the US the min for a family of three is around $16,000 but i wasnt sure if it would be roughly the same in Australia. thanks to your replys. i'll check out that site now
Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i mean to surport a family of three. I know in the US the min for a family of three is around $16,000 but i wasnt sure if it would be roughly the same in Australia. thanks to your replys. i'll check out that site now
There is an index here called the Henderson Poverty Index, which is supposedly the minimum amount needed to support families of varying sizes. The index is adjusted twice a year to take into account cost of living changes etc. There are two ranges - one for singles with dependents and one for couples with dependents.

The current, minimum monthly income for a couple with one dependent is $1661 or $19,932 p.a., for a couple with two dependents it's $1986 or $23,832 p.a. If a family has an income of less than this, they are deemed to be in poverty.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks, that helps alot. so im assuming that in order for me to sponsor my fiance i will need to be earning $19,932 per annum or more?
Am i correct?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks, that helps alot. so im assuming that in order for me to sponsor my fiance i will need to be earning $19,932 per annum or more?
Am i correct?
I have no idea whether a minimum income is a pre-requisite for sponsorship.

I just know that the Henderson Poverty Index is used here - particularly by banks and the like to determine if people have enough income to get credit.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 12:47 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

eek!! $20K is around $330 per week after tax!! i couldn't live on that on my own. rent would be around $200/wk or more for somewhere you can bring up a kid!

Originally Posted by nickyc
I have no idea whether a minimum income is a pre-requisite for sponsorship.

I just know that the Henderson Poverty Index is used here - particularly by banks and the like to determine if people have enough income to get credit.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brisnick
eek!! $20K is around $330 per week after tax!! i couldn't live on that on my own. rent would be around $200/wk or more for somewhere you can bring up a kid!
Agree, you certainly wouldn't want to have to live on that amount - it would only cover survival at the most basic level. Your quality of life would be awful.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks heaps for all of your replys. you've been a great help