Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Wikiposts

Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Originally Posted by bondipom
Techo is the phrase I often use. It took about 6 months to day 'rowter' rather than say router. I don't say 'Linnux' yet.
Linnux is not an Aussie thing, it is more correct than Leye-nux, though the "correct" pronunciation according to Linus Torvalds is more akin to Leenux.

</geek>
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Referring to a space to park your car as a "park", as in "I can't find a bloody park". Similarly using the phrase "car parks" to refer to more than one space to park your car as in "there might be some car parks on the next level up" (in the car park).

Look, people in Oz know what I'm talking about...
I know exactly what you are talking about ......
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:25 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scotvness
2. Having a fridge - just for my beer
3. Being a recycle 'everything' nut
We did both these in the UK. (Wine not beer though.)

I still preferred it with "bear". I see a gap in the market for novelty ice cube makers.

And yes of course it's a short(-ish) "i" in Linux (universally I mean; why would it be an Aussie thing?)
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:43 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
Linnux is not an Aussie thing, it is more correct than Leye-nux, though the "correct" pronunciation according to Linus Torvalds is more akin to Leenux.

</geek>
I have heard a recording if him saying it. Just force of habit. Howz ya arvo?
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:49 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
And yes of course it's a short(-ish) "i" in Linux (universally I mean; why would it be an Aussie thing?)
You say Linnux, I say Li nux, potato, potarto
If we listen to Torvald's then we're all wrong.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bondipom
I have heard a recording if him saying it. Just force of habit. Howz ya arvo?
Soundcard setup test eh?

As for my "arvo", if I were to fully comprehend what such a thing might be, then I would no doubt be able to inform you as to said item's status...

Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:16 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by aussie73
Do you have thongs in the Uk or is it too cold to wear them most of the year.
l wear thongs everywhere all the time, l'm too lazy to put on socks and shoes.
Typical Aussie misconception.
It isnt always cold over there. Why not pay a visit and you'll find out, but, visit between May and mid September

Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:59 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
saying "How ya going" instead of how are you
Hey Johno
Are you from the UK, just wondering as youre obviously a Broncos fan? You follow a Super League side?

Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:07 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by GCS15
I think the real test is if you use the phrase "fair dinkum"

After 18months in the UK I was over joyed when me mate came over and used it in a sentance

The other "real" test is if you can pull off "g'day" naturally. The Howzyagoin' after it really helps

or how would you pronounce "maroon"

MA - ROON

or

MA - ROAN ?

Gcs15
Go the Queensland Ma-roons!!!!

Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Typical Aussie misconception.
It isnt always cold over there. Why not pay a visit and you'll find out, but, visit between May and mid September
All they wear is thongs then.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:54 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
LOL I already do a few of these and I'm still in the UK. Numpty question No 3333333333 - is beetroot big in Aus? I can safely say, I will never never never find myself eating that "&*%( thing. :scared: I would eat a parsnip first - No sod it, I won't do that either.

lotls of people on here will tell you differently i'm sure, but down here in Victoria I have found the beetroot popularity situation no different to that in the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey!

After reading all these posts, Im starting to pick up an Aussie accent and im still in the UK!

Ive just answered the phone and used a couple of the above sayings!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
2) Starting loads of sentences with "aah" and "look"
Where I'm from starting a sentence with 'look' means you are totally exasperated with the listener. As in, 'look, this is your last chance', or 'look, I've told you 50 times before'. Its really odd to hear people use it in conversation, I'm always expecting a fight to start.

I want to be able to say 'too easy mate!', convincingly. I always laugh when people say it too me.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:38 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

2 North Queensland farmers talking over the fence.......

"I'm gonna take a drive down to Sydney next week mate"

"Jesus mate! That'll be a bugger of a journey! What route you gonna take?"

"Well mate.... I was thinkin' about just takin' the wife. She done well helpin' me through the drought last year..."

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:45 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Where I'm from starting a sentence with 'look' means you are totally exasperated with the listener. As in, 'look, this is your last chance', or 'look, I've told you 50 times before'. Its really odd to hear people use it in conversation, I'm always expecting a fight to start.

JTL
Yep, agree with that, after our travels and returned back to the uk I found that the end of my sentances raised

Friends noticed it as well and of course were horrified at my lack of respect for the queens English.....

The 'look' thing is so true, I went to buy a DVD recorder from a local electrical shop, approached by a know all arse, asked him questions, just got questions back and no answers. I stopped dead in my tracks with annoyance and said 'LOOK........ blah blah blah etc etc' to him, and he changed his tune straight away.

No worries, still using it, g'day as well.

Back in Oz 1 month today for a month, hopefully a few more little snippets to bring back here before we decide to make the move for real

Last edited by russmcp; Feb 2nd 2005 at 12:47 am. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.