Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Wikiposts

Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
I just read that Hevs likes beetroot now!! It made me think ( ) what habits have you picked up since you have lived here that have made you think you are turning Australian!!!

Mine is thongs (flip flops!!!)...I wear them everywhere...even found myself off to a smart BBQ in them the other day and had to turn back to change!

Me too! I wear thongs with everything for any occasion and I can't say WATER properly!!!! I forget the 'T' (and so do the children). My sentences also go up at the end when I'm talking! Apparently its dead annoying
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

Previous poster who claimed that Queenslanders end each sentence with "aye"? ---- not sure what you are talking about.

Has anyone picked up this one yet --- Pass US the screwdriver?

and how are you going is pronounced howzitgoin

Some nasty so and so picked up that I was a Queenslander whilst I was in Yorkshire. Asked How they did it they told me that Qlders talk slower. Meanie
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:25 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCS15
Previous poster who claimed that Queenslanders end each sentence with "aye"? ---- not sure what you are talking about.
Yeah Im not sure what they are talking about either, hey?

Im sure I'll work it out but.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:48 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Yeah Im not sure what they are talking about either, hey?

Im sure I'll work it out but.

It wiz that sed "aye" but spode its more like eyye lol dunno how to spell it, bloke accross the road alwyas says it and its rubbin off on us now lol

Queenslanders do talk slowly, when I talk the y look at me all wierd and say ffs slow down woman....and when they hear me and my Scottish mate talking they say we talk so fast it sounds like Chinese lmao
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

I think the real test is if you use the phrase "fair dinkum"

After 18months in the UK I was over joyed when me mate came over and used it in a sentance

The other "real" test is if you can pull off "g'day" naturally. The Howzyagoin' after it really helps

or how would you pronounce "maroon"

MA - ROON

or

MA - ROAN ?

Gcs15
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
me too

Heaps, for sure, hey, no worries, you'll be right, bucks, cracking the sh'ts, rooted. Still saying yoghurt, data, garage and pasta the English way, but its getting harder
what is cracking the sh#ts?
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:37 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimtrish

having a sook

going into a mood/strop/tantrum/sulk/annoyed

Last edited by mlbonner; Feb 1st 2005 at 9:44 am.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimtrish
That's was my reaction too initially . It means you are really pissed off
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

How do you pronounce Vitamins?

Vit a min

or

Vy (like why) tar min
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Referring to a space to park your car as a "park", as in "I can't find a bloody park". Similarly using the phrase "car parks" to refer to more than one space to park your car as in "there might be some car parks on the next level up" (in the car park).

Look, people in Oz know what I'm talking about...
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:35 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Taking as many syllables and letters out of words and phrases as is possible such as:

chook
garbos
firies
PJs

There is a suburb near me called Indooroopilly which should be said "In-do-roo-pilly" which is shortened to "In'dr'pilly" or even better "Indro".
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:36 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by jayr
Referring to a space to park your car as a "park", as in "I can't find a bloody park". Similarly using the phrase "car parks" to refer to more than one space to park your car as in "there might be some car parks on the next level up" (in the car park).

Look, people in Oz know what I'm talking about...

Sure do, amazing how you don't even think twice about these phrases anymore

'I'm going to get fuel at the servo' or ordering a pot/schooner/midi of beer, just second nature now, dammit, no wonder my mum thinks I sound like an Aussie and yet the Aussies still think I sound like a Pom
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:42 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Taking as many syllables and letters out of words and phrases as is possible such as:

chook
garbos
firies
PJs

There is a suburb near me called Indooroopilly which should be said "In-do-roo-pilly" which is shortened to "In'dr'pilly" or even better "Indro".
Do you mean PJ's for pajamas - I used that all the time in the UK

rego
servo
convo
arvo

and all (boys) names are similar
Tomo
Bretty
Scotty
Shauny
Paul-o
Johno
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:00 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

That totally threw me the first time I drove that way.
Had taken down directions over the phone and written phonetically.
Do you think I could find Indrapilly on a sign post?
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Techo is the phrase I often use. It took about 6 months to day 'rowter' rather than say router. I don't say 'Linnux' yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.