Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Wikiposts

Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:25 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Originally Posted by jayr
Saying yoghurt with a long o
Nooooooooo.

I have found myself walking barefoot to the beach or pool.
They are only 60 seconds away, but I know I should put on my thongs.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

1)Whenever someone asks "How you goin'", my immediate response is "good, thanks",

2) Starting loads of sentences with "aah" and "look"

3) "Cracking the sh*ts" - never thought I would be saying that out loud to people

Also have more but I can't think at the moment...
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I remember now..
4) going on holidays...(never used that before in my life)

My husband has strict instructions that if I ever refer to people in plural as You's - he is to slap me on the head
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

sookky la la - (sp??) (having a sulk )

i couldnt stand that expression when my niece first said it - now i find myself using it more & more

and "but" - always putting it on the end of a sentence

huge cravings for chicken salt

pootle
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:47 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Siren
Oooooh I do lots of these...

me too

Heaps, for sure, hey, no worries, you'll be right, bucks, cracking the sh'ts, rooted. Still saying yoghurt, data, garage and pasta the English way, but its getting harder
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:57 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! good thread and bring on the beetroot, and the chicken salt and the irritating (myself) inflection at the end of my sentance. (Sandra is hysterical with her Irish accent to boot!)

A couple of days of the week are different here eg Friday, followed by the words "night footie" and there is no day after friday other than "satday".

*Not hanging out my pants on the line, EVER as they dry to quick and go crusty

*Putting a shiny blue thing in front of the windscreen when parking. First to the car dives in and starts the A/c and stands outside waiting for it to cool down.

*Taking the esky to the shops with ice blocks in for frozen stuff.

Moaning when i have to pay to park!

*these things are subject to a cool change coming in (can feel it already!) or the winter (then ask me again )
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

1. Keeping all the house blinds and curtains closed during the day
2. Having a fridge - just for my beer
3. Being a recycle 'everything' nut
4. Having to cut the grass in December
5. Drinking VB at home
6. Drinking VB at friends homes
7. Playing KENO down the pub
8. Drinking VB down the pub

Scot

Last edited by scotvness; Jan 31st 2005 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:17 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by scotvness
1. Keeping all the house blinds and curtains closed during the day
2. Having a fridge - just for my bear
3. Being a recycle 'everything' nut
4. Having to cut the grass in December
5. Drinking VB at home
6. Drinking VB at friends homes
7. Playing KENO down the pub
8. Drinking VB down the pub

Scot

You own a Bear, and keep it in a fridge!!! :scared:
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:19 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner

sounds very cruel to me....

unless its a polar bear..
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:24 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by sloake

Ah, yes, true.... bloody big fridge mind!!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Dont know what your talking about - Edit, Edit
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:18 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sloake

now that would be a novelty at a party....open the fridge and theres a polar bear with a handful; of ice just ready to pop in yer drinkies....................................aye OK ave taken that too far......hehe

I just thought of another Aussie habit...................driving round at the weekends looking for "open houses" that are for sale, just for a nosey and to pass the time......oh and the hubbies urge to skelp a cane toad on the heed with his golf club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annnnnnnndddd kill all the builders next door for startin work at 5.30am on his day off ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:44 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

sook (to sulk) is one of the first Aussie words I taught my Pommy Hubby

my vocabulary has changed so much working here in the UK (I talk pommy now).... will be reverting soon to proper Qld speak once we're back on Aussie soil though
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I already do a few of these and I'm still in the UK. Numpty question No 3333333333 - is beetroot big in Aus? I can safely say, I will never never never find myself eating that "&*%( thing. :scared: I would eat a parsnip first - No sod it, I won't do that either.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Asking all the Sheilas if they would like a root

Agreeing with Bruce that it's too hot to do that job today...maybe it will be cooler tomorrow....or next week....or sometime, but defo not now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.