Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:56 am
scoobydoo

Default Australian habits you have picked up!!!

I just read that Hevs likes beetroot now!! It made me think ( ) what habits have you picked up since you have lived here that have made you think you are turning Australian!!!

Mine is thongs (flip flops!!!)...I wear them everywhere...even found myself off to a smart BBQ in them the other day and had to turn back to change!

Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:57 am
scoobydoo

Default Re: Australian habits you have picked up!!!

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
I just read that Hevs likes beetroot now!! It made me think ( ) what habits have you picked up since you have lived here that have made you think you are turning Australian!!!

Mine is thongs (flip flops!!!)...I wear them everywhere...even found myself off to a smart BBQ in them the other day and had to turn back to change!

Forgot to say that they are the $2.49 ones from Coles too!!!!

Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:04 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is using the word "HEAPS" seems to crop up in every sentance I use now and I dont particularly like using the word!!!

TT

Forgot to say that they are the $2.49 ones from Coles too!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:16 am
aussie73

Do you have thongs in the Uk or is it too cold to wear them most of the year.
l wear thongs everywhere all the time, l'm too lazy to put on socks and shoes.

Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Low level swearing - irrespective of the company and or the situation.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aussie73
Do you have thongs in the Uk or is it too cold to wear them most of the year.
l wear thongs everywhere all the time, l'm too lazy to put on socks and shoes.

Lol if u asked most Brits in the UK if they wear thongs u'd get a funny look as its underwear over there
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:39 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not giving the kids a tellin off for sayin Bugger....seems it is OK here

Saying aye at the end of every bloody sentence....its a Qld thing
Not giving a stuff what u look like when you r off out...boardies, evst and thongs will do

Drinking too many stubbies

Swearing a lot.......ya b@strad is vey common and hes a rite pr*ck is another fav...lol

And not goin out after dark cos of the bloody mozzies

oh and beetroot
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Starting a sentence with "Aahhh..", or "Look....".
Ending a conversation with "no worries".
Drinking lots of beer at home (though the 'light' variety).
Wearing singlets and thongs.
Saying yoghurt with a long o (i.e. to rhyme with mow).
Liking all things Milo (cereal, choc bars etc.).
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:44 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hevs Beetroot eating got me too!!!! :scared:

According to some mates (Hevs included) I now end my sentences on a high like asking a questiON? Which possibly sounds rather stupid with a Belfast accent.

I can also now outdo the wearing thongs to everywhere.....I ended up barefoot in my local shopping centre (and it is rather smart and carpeted) eghh! I left the house drove the car there and didn't realise it until I hit the cold lino in woolies. I will admit to having a right bitch about this when I first came over. I have yet to go down in my pjs but have to stop the children doing it - but they 'defo' they think it is alright to walk the dog in pjs

My "ie"s and "oe"s endings are increasing I defo use doco most of the time in work now.

And I 'rock up' loads of places!!!

Madness
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:50 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

one thing i'll *never* do. nor muscle tees!
regularly wander around barefoot in supermarkets, much to the dismay of my aussie gf.

Originally Posted by jayr
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jayr
Starting a sentence with "Aahhh..", or "Look....".
Ending a conversation with "no worries".
Drinking lots of beer at home (though the 'light' variety).
Saying yoghurt with a long o (i.e. to rhyme with mow).
Liking all things Milo (cereal, choc bars etc.).

I find myself saying "pAHsta" (with an ahhhh) instead of Pasta.
I also find myself going up at the end of sentances and of course, asking "how are you?" to every person I speak to for fear of seeming rude if I don't!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

saying "How ya going" instead of how are you
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:17 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Oooooh I do lots of these...

"Heaps" and "reckon" have creeped into my everyday language.
I "Rock up" to lots of places that are "heaving."
I end sentences with "hey?"
Apparently I say Bawthroom now instead of bathroom (Rhymes with wrath)
"No worries" how can you NOT pick that up?
I use "How ya going?" instead of "How are you?"

I love my thongs and my singlets and feel not the slightest bit odd getting into the car barefoot.

Ta has replaced Thanks! in my vocabulary.

There are more... I know there are, just can't think of them at the mo. Maybe I'll think of more later this arvo while down at the bottelo picking up some stubbies for Bri and his mates, Davo, Jono and Muzza.

Siren
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

sharkbait is an unknown quantity at this point

Pulling out from road junctions into the main road and driving slowly, making no real effort to accelerate to prevent the driver behind from having to brake.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

saying "yeh good on yer: instead of "whatever" dismissively

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.