Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Geographic

Australian Geographic

Old Oct 20th 2003, 4:25 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Australian Geographic

Anyone bought/read them?

I like National Geographic, are they similar?

Are they entirely on aus, or worldwide with an aus bias?

Pete.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I read it. Very informative. Heavily Oz-focused - people, places, flora, fauna, environment, conservation, problems...but worldwide articles too (maybe one or two per issue). Not that similar therefore to Nat Geo (as that the latter has no sole country as its primary concern). In some ways, better than Nat Geo as more relevance to life in Oz and opens your eyes to what is going on here rather than everywhere else.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Yes, I read it. Very informative. Heavily Oz-focused - people, places, flora, fauna, environment, conservation, problems...but worldwide articles too (maybe one or two per issue). Not that similar therefore to Nat Geo (as that the latter has no sole country as its primary concern). In some ways, better than Nat Geo as more relevance to life in Oz and opens your eyes to what is going on here rather than everywhere else.
I subscribe to it and I like it very much. However I mentioned it to the guys at work, who are pretty "right on" and they expressed disapproval.

Apparently it has a right wing agenda, the bloke who runs it is the famous Dick Smith.

Still, I enjoy it and so do my kids.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:16 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
I subscribe to it and I like it very much. However I mentioned it to the guys at work, who are pretty "right on" and they expressed disapproval.

Apparently it has a right wing agenda, the bloke who runs it is the famous Dick Smith.

Still, I enjoy it and so do my kids.

hi renth,
I must be showing my ignorance, but who is dkci smith? or dick smith even!?
sue
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi renth,
I must be showing my ignorance, but who is dkci smith? or dick smith even!?
sue
http://www.curriculum.edu.au/democra...ies/dsmith.htm
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:24 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

cheers!

sue
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I've looked at it in the shop but it's too spensive for me at the mo! Looks good though, lovely piccies. Might subscribe for hubby for Christmas.

Loopy
Old Oct 21st 2003, 9:11 am
Badge

I thought Dick Smith was the guy with all the electrical shops?

Old Oct 21st 2003, 9:20 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Its the same guy.

Done some amazing stuff really. Was the first person to fly solo around the world in a helicopter!

Best thing about Dick Smith was when he tried to reintroduce various aussie products that had been phased/bought out. Aeroplane jelly for example.

He was going to bring back the aussie matches, which were called redheads. Wanted to call them Dickheads, but they were quickly named back
Old Oct 21st 2003, 9:56 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Renth/PeteY

what do think of the RM Williams outback mag-the online version seems quite good

Any other media like this you could recommend?
Old Oct 21st 2003, 10:18 am
WBB

Originally posted by seang
Renth/PeteY

what do think of the RM Williams outback mag-the online version seems quite good

Any other media like this you could recommend?

just had a look at that and it seems like a good read, the article on cape york features a picture of waterfalls where we sat and had a picnic.

the article also mentions a bull which was hand reared after braaking his leg in a cattle grid at mt carbine, we fed this huge beast when we stopped there for fuel....small world

outbackmag

Old Oct 21st 2003, 10:21 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

yeah found it by chance myself some interesting articles on outback living both from people living there for years and people making the move from the cities.

glad it brought back memories

ps- thanks for putting link up
Old Oct 21st 2003, 10:38 am
tennisoz

Renth

Thanks for the link - there are lots of other useful things on the site. I was disappointed as an Australian that I hadn't heard of a few people in the biographies section - been away a while!

TennisOz