Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian families average Grocery Costs.

Australian families average Grocery Costs.

Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:55 am
ABCDiamond

Default Australian families average Grocery Costs.

I have got some grocery Costs for average Australian families listed below.

These are excerpts taken from the first 5 pages of a total 11 pages from this forum: http://forums.naturalparenting.com.a...4&page=1&pp=10 (Post numbers are indicated for reference)

Remember, these are from people posting their actual costs without any bias of liking the country or disliking the country.

3: I buy about $45-50 on organic fruit and veges, approx $40-60 on organic meat and $30-40 on the rest of the grocery items. This is ample for our family of two adults, and three children.

4: It was close to $300 (fortnight) and that's for 2 adults and one baby( who doesn't eat solids!) We were a bit shocked when we reached the total at the check-out! It is meant to last us a fortnight, and it was one of those times where we had run out of shampoo, laundry powder, dog food etc

5: About $100 per week, $20 of that is on a big fruit and vege load from a co op we are in. We don't eat a lot of meat either. But its not organic. Family of 4.

6: $175 per week for two adults, a 5 year old and a 10 month old.

7: & 39: We budget $230 a week and usually come in just under but occasionally will go over. That covers the lot (meat, fish, poultry, fruit & veg, groceries) No family size mentioned.

8: My weekly budget is $70. Cleaning products (rare these days), food, toiletries, fresh fruit and veg, meat etc. Family of 4

9: probably $30 for fruit & veg, another $50 on everything else. Family of 3 ?

16: $150 pw I always cook a big home cooked meal for dinner and thwe kids love the fresh fruit and veg so i can't skimp on that. Family of 4 (+?)

17: I have about $80/wk budgeted for groceries etc. Family of 4

18: $150/week. I always thought it was a lot, but i can see now it seems about average. There are 2 adults and a 16 mnth old in our house

19: $110 per week, has to cover all laundry expenses, dog food (2 border collies), food, meat, bathroom stuff etc... milk bread, the lot for a week. Family of 4

20: Our budget allows $170 per week for food (the lot). We have 5 people eating food now and eat a predominantly (prob 95%) organic diet.

22: we spend around $150-$170 too and under half of that would be organic veg and the rest of it good bread and milk and cereals Family 3+?

24: about $100 a week on groceries everything included. Family of 3

26: $100 per week including takeaway. Family of 5

28: We budget $250 a week!!!! for food and groceries. Almost all organic (meat, bread, milk, eggs, ricemilk- everything I can find etc), includes freash fruit and veg, includes nappies (yes disposables...), claning stuff, bathroom stuff etc. Family of 3?

32: We spend about $140 a week on everything. Organic fruit and veg that doesn't even last a full week comes in at $40 - $50 and I'm pregnant so the rest is spent on ridiculous stuff for me. DP has to eat like a king for lunch and dinner so he costs a $$$ in meat (a vegie dish is just not real eating for him. Family 3

37: I shop for under $100 per week (plus $20 fruit and vege box) Family of 5

43: We spend about $120-$140 at the supermarket for our weekly shop, but then we spend about $50 throughout the week for bits and bobs. Family of 5

The above resulted in 19 Families, totalling 73 people at an overall average of $38 per person per week.
The average varied between $17.50 and $84 per person per week. (The highest specified "we eat almost all organic")

Based on those figures, a family of three averages $114 per week, We are slightly higher at about $125, but we do tend to eat rib eye steak reasonably frequently, and my wife always has prawns.

Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian families average Grocery Costs.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

These are excerpts taken from the first 5 pages of a total 11 pages from this forum: http://forums.naturalparenting.com.a...4&page=1&pp=10 (Post numbers are indicated for reference)

Remember, these are from people posting their actual costs without any bias of liking the country or disliking the country.

3: I buy about $45-50 on organic fruit and veges, approx $40-60 on organic meat and $30-40 on the rest of the grocery items. This is ample for our family of two adults, and three children.

4: It was close to $300 (fortnight) and that's for 2 adults and one baby( who doesn't eat solids!) We were a bit shocked when we reached the total at the check-out! It is meant to last us a fortnight, and it was one of those times where we had run out of shampoo, laundry powder, dog food etc

5: About $100 per week, $20 of that is on a big fruit and vege load from a co op we are in. We don't eat a lot of meat either. But its not organic. Family of 4.

7: & 39: We budget $230 a week and usually come in just under but occasionally will go over. That covers the lot (meat, fish, poultry, fruit & veg, groceries) No family size mentioned.

8: My weekly budget is $70. Cleaning products (rare these days), food, toiletries, fresh fruit and veg, meat etc. Family of 4

16: $150 pw I always cook a big home cooked meal for dinner and thwe kids love the fresh fruit and veg so i can't skimp on that. Family of 4 (+?)

18: $150/week. I always thought it was a lot, but i can see now it seems about average. There are 2 adults and a 16 mnth old in our house

19: $110 per week, has to cover all laundry expenses, dog food (2 border collies), food, meat, bathroom stuff etc... milk bread, the lot for a week. Family of 4

20: Our budget allows $170 per week for food (the lot). We have 5 people eating food now and eat a predominantly (prob 95%) organic diet.

22: we spend around $150-$170 too and under half of that would be organic veg and the rest of it good bread and milk and cereals Family 3+?

28: We budget $250 a week!!!! for food and groceries. Almost all organic (meat, bread, milk, eggs, ricemilk- everything I can find etc), includes freash fruit and veg, includes nappies (yes disposables...), claning stuff, bathroom stuff etc. Family of 3?

32: We spend about $140 a week on everything. Organic fruit and veg that doesn't even last a full week comes in at $40 - $50 and I'm pregnant so the rest is spent on ridiculous stuff for me. DP has to eat like a king for lunch and dinner so he costs a $$$ in meat (a vegie dish is just not real eating for him. Family 3

43: We spend about $120-$140 at the supermarket for our weekly shop, but then we spend about $50 throughout the week for bits and bobs. Family of 5

The above resulted in 19 Families, totalling 73 people at an overall average of $38 per person per week.
The average varied between $17.50 and $84 per person per week. (The highest specified "we eat almost all organic")

Based on those figures, a family of three averages $114 per week, We are slightly higher at about $125, but we do tend to eat rib eye steak reasonably frequently, and my wife always has prawns.

Erm I wondered this last time you posted links from that forum, why you were involved in a breastfeeding and birth forum, :scared: Still each to their own.

Maybe some of these women have found a very economical way to feed their children that might be a bit of a worry for those of us with older kids :scared: I mean were all for a few grocery tips but really !!

Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Maybe some of these women have found a very economical way to feed their children that might be a bit of a worry for those of us with older kids :scared: I mean were all for a few grocery tips but really !!

don't knock it. One of my CFA officers likes a bit of milk - the unusually sweet kind - on his cornflakes. All in a day's work ABC!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
don't knock it. One of my CFA officers likes a bit of milk - the unusually sweet kind - on his cornflakes. All in a day's work ABC!
PMSl here, maybe hes married to the forum member who calls herself 2 breasts no waiting, theres nothing like a dedicated wife and mother is there.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:24 am
ABCDiamond

Erm I wondered this last time you posted links from that forum, why you were involved in a breastfeeding and birth forum, :scared: Still each to their own.
Not sure if you looked closely, but......

Some examples of headings on that forum:

Journey of Parenting - To discuss our journey as parents and Natural Parenting ideals.

Keeping House - A place to discuss household issues such as budgetting and housework

Crafts and Hobbies - Do you have any hobbies or enjoy crafts? Discuss them here.

The Green Room - A forum for the support of green living, including, conservation, organic food and gardening and promoting minimal impact on the Earth.

Educating Our Children - For discussing all aspects of Education

In The Media - General news articles, current affairs, tv, movies, music, etc

Business Network

And if you look closesly you also find information such as Montessori schools, Steiner Schools, general education info.

I have a young child, and I am quite happy to look out for info, wherever it comes from, and if people have a problem with that, then it's something they must live with

Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure if you looked closely, but......

Some examples of headings on that forum:

Journey of Parenting - To discuss our journey as parents and Natural Parenting ideals.

Keeping House - A place to discuss household issues such as budgetting and housework

Crafts and Hobbies - Do you have any hobbies or enjoy crafts? Discuss them here.

The Green Room - A forum for the support of green living, including, conservation, organic food and gardening and promoting minimal impact on the Earth.

Educating Our Children - For discussing all aspects of Education

In The Media - General news articles, current affairs, tv, movies, music, etc

Business Network

And if you look closesly you also find information such as Montessori schools, Steiner Schools, general education info.

I have a young child, and I am quite happy to look out for info, wherever it comes from, and if people have a problem with that, then it's something they must live with

As I said each to their own, what you read in your personal life is up to you. Searching a breastfeeding mothers forum for grocery prices still seems to be cheating just a tad! Unfair advantage and all
Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:01 am
ABCDiamond

As I said each to their own, what you read in your personal life is up to you. Searching a breastfeeding mothers forum for grocery prices still seems to be cheating just a tad! Unfair advantage and all
Where is the breast feeding forum that you keep on about ?

As I just said, there are a few forums on there, and that one came from the:
Keeping House - A place to discuss household issues such as budgetting and housework, section.

Nothing to do with a fixation that someone has with "Breastfeeding"

What is unfair about it ? Genuine people quoting real life genuine prices with no axes to grind ? And coming up with similar figures to many posters on here aswell.

Some of the posters on there, have kids aged 5, 6, 7, 11, etc., etc, highly possibly the same as some people on here, and so the information that these readers can glean from it may be of real use to them ?

Is there a problem with posting this info ?

Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:25 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping House - A place to discuss household issues such as budgetting and housework, section.

What is unfair about it ? Genuine people quoting real life genuine prices with no axes to grind ? And coming up with similar figures to many posters on here aswell.

Some of the posters on there, have kids aged 5, 6, 7, 11, etc., etc, highly possibly the same as some people on here, and so the information that these readers can glean from it may be of real use to them ?

No problem except it would be more helpfull if is said where each of these people lived to give people an idea of how much it differers from place to place. For example my food bill is much higher here in rural nsw. My regular bill is about $180 a week for 2 adults, 1 baby not on solids yet and 2 dogs. Once a fortnight I need to buy things like bog rolls, dog food etc and the bill usually jumps to about $220-230. Fresh fruit and veg, bread and milk seems much dearer here in the sticks than in the city and we grow and make the damn stuff.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Even I can see old Jad (or is it Rich) is taking the piss. Keep up the good work ABC.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyone can work out the topics on the forum by clicking on the blue line at the top of it or simply by looking at the names and images of the posters. Reads as some fairly personal subjects if you ask me.

You want to know if theres a problem with the info you post, the only thing Ive noticed is l you dont seem to like anyone else saying groceries are expensive here (or indeed being critical of anything) like the other day when you told us not to use specials as price indicators, which we wern't then went ahead and used aussie specials yourself Yes that is somewhat ridiculous

Edit computer just froze up, as for the rest of it for goodness sake chill, if you cant see the humour in people with forum names like "2 breasts no waiting" I dont really know what to say.

Well except thanks for one hell of a laugh, and goodnight for now.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 28th 2006 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

Really handy post, and it seems like the host site is a good source of info on a wide range of family related matters. Just an observation, but it's a shame some of the original posters on the parenting site didn't have an accurate location on their profile. Cheers for the info - good stuff.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:47 pm
ABCDiamond

as for the rest of it for goodness sake chill, if you cant see the humour in people with forum names like "2 breasts no waiting" I dont really know what to say.

Well except thanks for one hell of a laugh, and goodnight for now.
That's the thing with these forums, I was laughing my head off with this. However, peoples forum names have no interest to me, so I didn't even notice them
I'm only really interested in the information.

However , you do realise that some of those examples actually spend more per person than you have previously said that you spend, don't you ?

If you notice, my info isn't always stating that things are cheaper

Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

the only thing Ive noticed is l you dont seem to like anyone else saying groceries are expensive here (or indeed being critical of anything)
It's not (as you think) that I don't like, but more that I offer my own comments and experiences, like many people on this forum do. It's not my fault if my experiences are different to yours, but I do feel they are valid, so will not be afraid to post them, even if you don't like me disagreeing.

like the other day when you told us not to use specials as price indicators, which we wern't then went ahead and used aussie specials yourself Yes that is somewhat ridiculous
Interesting you mention this again.
Two points here: I did NOT tell anyone not to use specials, what I actually said is:
One of the problems with some comparisons, is the way things are often compared. eg: Baked beans is often thrown in at 7p per tin in the UK, but we all know that this is a supermarket "Loss Leader" and not a real "profit making" price. It then gets compared to a normal price here, for something that is not as common as in the UK.
Then if you remember, you quoted a comparison of
The difference in price of some items like yogurt for 8p compared to twin packs at $2.30 was laughable, many things like that.
Comparing a UK cheap Homebrand to an obviously much more expensive Major Brand, to which I replied, comparing brand to brand, for fair comparison :
Some Yogurt Comparisons with sizes

UK - ASDA (One of the cheaper UK supermarkets ? )
SKI Value pack yogurts - 8X120 £1.78 (18.5p per 100g )

AUS - Coles (I think these are the most expensive of our supermarkets)
SKI Delight 2x200g $2.00 (50c per 100g) or (21.3p per 100g)
followed on by..
My personal choice though is the 1kg value packs SKI devine for $3.00 (30c per 100g) or (12.9p per 100g)
My personal choice mentioned wasn't comparing anything, other than just showing what other options are often available here. (I highlight often, as this is available at that price at least 1 week out of 3, and often other brands are on special during the other weeks)

If you look at the normal prices, you will also see that the Australian Brand Yogurt is more expensive than the UK same brand I have not said it is normally cheaper

Old Jan 29th 2006, 3:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I would live to know where those people shop. I did my weekly shop on Friday at my local Woolworths. I spent $225 and then went to the grocers and spent another $87 on fruit and veg. This is usual for the week and doesn't include my trip to the bottle shop, I won't be divulging how much I spend there!!!!

I am sure you can shop cheaper and it drives my hubby mad that I don't budget but I know what I like and while I can afford to buy it I will.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]
Interesting you mention this again..............

I was refering to the 1kg yogurt you quoted at $3 you didnt point out the normal price is $4.59

Crackerbarrel cheese, you quoted at $5.29 normal price is $6.64, you didnt say on either the prices you used were specials, well not till I'd pointed that out.

You know tho, that aside I would love to see the woman who quoted feeding a family of 5 on $80 a weeks menu.

Taking into account absolute basic nutrition that would be impossible, if she allowed 2 litres of milk a day $1.99 and one loaf of nutritious bread, (say she finds a fruit barn with $1.50 wholemeal) shes already taken up $24.50 a week of her budget.

That leaves $11 a week per person to feed them every meal for 7 days.

See what I mean some of the figures were totally and utterly ludicrous.

My guess, having been to mother and baby groups, there was a little contest going on there to see who could come up with the cheapest quote, you know like the my baby walked at 4 months stuff, that goes on in those places.

Either that or the womans family lived in ethiopia

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 29th 2006 at 3:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.