Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Expo's

Australian Expo's

Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future
Default Australian Expo's

Hi All,

Looking to go to the Expo in London on october 25th. Could anyone tell me if there worth going too, Any good for finding work before we get there? Any experiences and advice would be great.

Regards Ian
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:04 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian Expo's

Originally Posted by skoots76
Hi All,

Looking to go to the Expo in London on october 25th. Could anyone tell me if there worth going too, Any good for finding work before we get there? Any experiences and advice would be great.

Regards Ian
Whether it's worth it or not probably depends on what you do for a living. I went to one earlier in the year and it wasn't really worth the trip; plus it was incredibly crowded. If you're in healthcare or something heavily in demand in a given area (like mining in WA) then you can probably get round 2 or maybe 3 booths in the time available (the queues were huge).

Cheers
b
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

The Stevenses will become famous soon enoughThe Stevenses will become famous soon enough

We also found it a waste of time, none of the stand were in my husband's line of work (not their fault I know!!) and when we enquired at an employment agency stand about my husband's line of work they called up their page on the internet which we could have done from home!!

The only bit that could have been useful was the section where you put in your information and they tell you how many points you would qualify, this again was done through an internet connection on laptops so could be done from home and the queues for that were enormous.

I have heard of some people coming away with sponsorship offers but it does depend on what line of work you are in and if it is demand.

In hindsight, me and the kids should have waited outside, he walked around to see if it was any good and then either called me in or not!! Would have saved wasting two admission fees!!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Stevenses
We also found it a waste of time, none of the stand were in my husband's line of work (not their fault I know!!) and when we enquired at an employment agency stand about my husband's line of work they called up their page on the internet which we could have done from home!!

The only bit that could have been useful was the section where you put in your information and they tell you how many points you would qualify, this again was done through an internet connection on laptops so could be done from home and the queues for that were enormous.

I have heard of some people coming away with sponsorship offers but it does depend on what line of work you are in and if it is demand.

In hindsight, me and the kids should have waited outside, he walked around to see if it was any good and then either called me in or not!! Would have saved wasting two admission fees!!
OH got his job (and had more interviews lined up for a few others) from attending the one this time last year.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Regards Ian
We went to one in Belfast and learned absolutely nothing. Thank goodness we didn't have too far to travel, as far as we were concerned it was just a big money making venture.

Trust me you will learn a million trillion times more on BE than you will at any expo.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

After going to the London one earlier in the year, I wouldn't bother going again.

However, if you are thinking of going and starting the process, then its probably worth a morning out.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

My wife is a senior sister in critical care. and Im an engineer but with limited qualifications (onc level)
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

My wife is a senior sister in critical care. and Im an engineer but with limited qualifications (onc level)
hi
i went to one at australia house earlier this year, there were a lot of health and engineering stands, you may find it usefull and even gain that elusive sponsorship, it depends on what info you want, if its immigration then you could find more on here, the ques are huge and i found people getting very irrate waiting, then when you get to the front the person behind starts dropping hints to move on!!!, if its close to you then go. thats only my opinion.
john
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

steve_and_gill will become famous soon enoughsteve_and_gill will become famous soon enough

We've been to two.

The first was handy to pick up leaflets and get a feel for things. Little on the job front since we were so early in the process.

Second we got some good use out of talking to shippers.

We forgot to pay for the second one, I thought Gillian had and Gillian thought I had when we went the loo on arrival around 1300.... terrible mixup that we only found out about later.

We also went to a specific job one which again, was only of limited use. It seems for IT work there is small turn out, for medical is was much better. Teaching was poorly supported too.

If you haven't been, I'd suggest go, but when is best I am not sure, probably once you have the visa or believe it will be coming up, too early and job people may not be interested, unless you are looking for sponsorship, but that is difficult as you need to know that there will be people there looking for you.

One thing is state sponsorship, there was usually SA and WA at the shows, but I have no idea if they were handing out sponsorship on the day or if there was any benefit to going via them rather than straight to the govs themselves.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

We went to the one in Leeds in March, bit of a waste of time for us - very crowded and the queues were huge,.............only thing we got out of it was opening our Australian Bank account, the Australians there were lovely though.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Neal_and_Tanya will become famous soon enoughNeal_and_Tanya will become famous soon enough

Went to the one in Edinburgh in Febraury just as I started the process and it was great. Found out a hell of a lot of information and queues weren't to bad