Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Exodus

Australian Exodus

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Re: Australian Exodus

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
OK... My wife was a pysch nurse for over 12 years at the Lurundel facility, which meant she accrued all those benefits that I've mentioned above. Along came Jeff Kennett, who in his infinite wisdom decided to close and make redundant those working in long term Pyschiatric institutions. Not only that but he paid a Bonus of 10,000 dollars to each nurse leaving, with the proviso that they not work in the health system for 10 years.

Trouble is that left Victoria 'nurseless' lol !!! within 6 weeks my wife was back on the books under the Royal Melbourne umbrellla. and now has 10 years service accrued again.

All 'Federally awarded' nurses get those benefits I've mentioned, check to see if you are under a federal award, if you are call your union.

I hear what you are saying but I still get less money, less holidays, less time off than in the UK by a long shot....I work in a public hospital and so get lots of benefits, just not as much as UK nurses....never mind I suppose, the summer will be here soon....
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 4:30 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

I say that nurses and doctors are angels on earth. With my wife just having gone through an awful labour and emergency caesarian the care provided by midwives and doctors was unreal. It made me think, if I do all the good in a lifetime career that they do in one year, I'll be very happy indeed. The medical/caring professions are the most important on earth in my books. They all deserve so much more. In the meantime we have those in the finance industry and entertainment, earning obscene amounts and contributing little to society in comparison. Good for you nurses - we appreciate you even if the Government doesn't.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I hear what you are saying but I still get less money, less holidays, less time off than in the UK by a long shot....I work in a public hospital and so get lots of benefits, just not as much as UK nurses....never mind I suppose, the summer will be here soon....

I will try and endeavour to get some UK nurses case points, that are working alongside my wife. I'm of the understanding that in Melbourne at least, that "pysch nurses' migrating could be better off than they were in the UK. especially after 10 years.

Would Longevity in the System's be a factor in your comparisons ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 2nd 2005 at 5:02 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Grayling
The biggest change in migration trends in recent years has been a huge increase in the number of Australians migrating to the UK on a permanent basis:

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news514.html

Eatstatic has a point here.

G
This is my main concern about our living and working in Australia, especially our children's future profession wise... Whilst back in the UK when all I could think about was getting to Oz, I really didn't take much notice of what my very sensible husband was saying with regards to taxes and the glorious John Howard, etc... We, like everyone else pay high taxes, it isn't to our advantage to work over time personally speaking...

It really is all well and good having an abundance of leisure time, but having a bit cash to enjoy in that leisure time i consider important, scuba diving, boogie boarding, horse riding, it all costs money.... it dosen't grow on trees!

There are of course lots of activities that don't cost money, but kids being kids always want something 'that everyone else has'! We live a comfortable life, but our wages back in the UK were far more than over here, the advantage is the hours worked over here are far less... I'm not trying to put anyone off, just to be realistic... I personally got so wrapped up in my determination to get into Australia that my common sense flew out of the window with regards to many important and considerable factors...
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by honeybob
This is my main concern about our living and working in Australia, especially our children's future profession wise... Whilst back in the UK when all I could think about was getting to Oz, I really didn't take much notice of what my very sensible husband was saying with regards to taxes and the glorious John Howard, etc... We, like everyone else pay high taxes, it isn't to our advantage to work over time personally speaking...

It really is all well and good having an abundance of leisure time, but having a bit cash to enjoy in that leisure time i consider important, scuba diving, boogie boarding, horse riding, it all costs money.... it dosen't grow on trees!

There are of course lots of activities that don't cost money, but kids being kids always want something 'that everyone else has'! We live a comfortable life, but our wages back in the UK were far more than over here, the advantage is the hours worked over here are far less... I'm not trying to put anyone off, just to be realistic... I personally got so wrapped up in my determination to get into Australia that my common sense flew out of the window with regards to many important and considerable factors...
I see what your are saying and agree in part.

Some job opportunities are clearly limited in Perth as it is not a major economic hub. This doesn't mean that there are not plenty of top proffessions to be followed here though. At the end of the day people often have to move about to do the job they want anyway. Would someone living in Cumbria be able to fulfil their desire to be a stock market trader, in Cumbria? Of course not, they would have to move to London. Certain top jobs are synonomous with certain locations which often means moving around the world anyway.

Also it has to be stressed that the free things to do here in Perth (and not doubt all of Australia) are plentiful and it would not be hard to find something either free (or very cheap) to do for a lot of weekends. Obviously some activities etc are more expensive, such as Scuba Diving and Horse Riding, but Boogie boarding is not expensive at all. I would have put this in the almost free category.

I guess the best thing is to balance out the odd more expensive hobby, trip, etc with stuff which costs very little or is free. We had a great time this weekend sitting in Neil Hawkins park with a few freinds with sausages, rolls, beers , a footy, etc. Was sitting looking at the blue skies, 21 deg temperatures and still trying to get my head around the fact it was near enough mid-winter.

Why would anyone possibly want to leave??
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
I think it is a lot easier for tradesmen/tradeswomen.
Everyone says OZ is great for tradesmen , and it can be great in the right economic times and areas. The award rate for many trades is $22 an hour, its only those who set up on their own who make a buck, continutity of work takes a lot of contacts. Bad weather and lost time all come with no pay. Theres no pension hols or sick pay, overheads, fuel and insurances eat into profits.

More to it than meets the eye, lots more regulations and licencing here, everyone thinks the licencing is just paperwork, its not, get a licence here and the financial comeback/liability will follow you for years, thats why blokes are reluctant to employ those without lic, if the work goes wrong then it goes back to the principal contractor.

Harsh climate to work in, construction wouldnt be my ideal job in summer.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:18 am
Badge

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle]

Badge, I think you and I know where we are coming from on this, You have the 'qualifications' behind you to stand on your own. I like 100,000's of others including some twits, that voted for little johnny dont.
QUOTE]

indeed - I am in a profession where experience is king and quals aren't necessarily needed. I'd say certainly low-middle ranking white collar workers especially admin people are at risk. There seems to be a small collection of pros who can transport their exp and quals OK.

Badge

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Locale, also plays a major factor in Tradesmens wages.

Tomorrow on GMA, channel 9 I think. They are highlighting the new 'blue collar' Millionaires.

It's hard to work out how some electricians can earn award wages, and others become Millionaires eh ?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Locale, also plays a major factor in Tradesmens wages.

Tomorrow on GMA, channel 9 I think. They are highlighting the new 'blue collar' Millionaires.

It's hard to work out how some electricians can earn award wages, and others become Millionaires eh ?

Another tradies earn $100,000 story eh

Many of my partners sub contractors live on the canals and islands round here, drive BMW's on sundays, and have big boats and the wifes entertain themself with plastic surgery but most of them are 50 ish and made that money in the housing peak by buying waterfront houses which went up about 600%, the blokes working for them nearly all live week to week, have a diet of coke and pies with sauce, smoke like chimneys and rely on family benefits to top up the wages. Its the subcontractors that make the big money not the poor guys who do the work.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:24 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of tradies migrating to Australia and TAFE enrollments are up whilst building approvals are now declining. Anyone got a crystal ball.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:32 am
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
Lots of tradies migrating to Australia and TAFE enrollments are up whilst building approvals are now declining. Anyone got a crystal ball.
have a job / career in a field you are interested in and passionate about.

then if the BIG money doesnt come along at least you've enjoyed your working life.

My experience is that when your motivation factor 'to go to work because you enjoy your job' is high, the financial benefits usually follow pretty quickly as a result.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bondipom

Beazely and the opposition have finally picked up on that small point, wonder when howard will catch on
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:02 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Another tradies earn $100,000 story eh

Many of my partners sub contractors live on the canals and islands round here, drive BMW's on sundays, and have big boats and the wifes entertain themself with plastic surgery but most of them are 50 ish and made that money in the housing peak by buying waterfront houses which went up about 600%, the blokes working for them nearly all live week to week, have a diet of coke and pies with sauce, smoke like chimneys and rely on family benefits to top up the wages. Its the subcontractors that make the big money not the poor guys who do the work.
BUT thats Queensland , you want to live in Australia's answer to Disney land thats your choice, In Adelaide the "600%" men are on ther Knees begging trades men to come and work for me . So the exodus continues , i over the last 23 years have seen this "boom bust" and it keeps me in the life style i like .............. mm
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
So how do you explain all the happy people here then? Besides, young Aussies have been going to Europe and the US to further their careers for decades, me included. Most of them come back.

Then there's this:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/for...howtopic=12956

Which kinda makes a mess of your argument.
Except it doesn't. Eatstatic's post concerns opportunity. Your reference to the trials and tribulations of house prices is irrelevant:eatstatic made no mention of it. But, if you insist on including it, ditto Oz.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Aug 2nd 2005 at 10:13 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:16 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Except it doesn't. Eatstatic's post concerns opportunity. Your reference to the trials and tribulations of house prices is irrelevant:eatstatic made no mention of it. But, if you insist on including it, ditto Oz.
Hey every body Mikes back ,Eatsatic has Morphed back to mike :rolleyes ............ MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.