Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Exodus

Australian Exodus

Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Exodus

It seems that Australia is not for a lot of its young adults, particulary men. If any of the wannabee ex pats are still deluded enough to believe that Oz will give their offspring more choice then think again.

Any aussies with decent skills are voting with their feet against Australia's low wages and long hours. It therefore seems a strong possibility that your kids, when of working age will hot foot it back to blighty in order to get a decent reward for their skills.

At this rate all Oz will have left behind will be the minimum wage manual workers. Still it seems there are plenty of Poms with a willingness to move to the land of low pay and years of "casual" employment, maybe they will take up the slack?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/050726/2/v8n0.html
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:47 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Exodus

Originally Posted by eatstatic
It seems that Australia is not for a lot of its young adults, particulary men. If any of the wannabee ex pats are still deluded enough to believe that Oz will give their offspring more choice then think again.

Any aussies with decent skills are voting with their feet against Australia's low wages and long hours. It therefore seems a strong possibility that your kids, when of working age will hot foot it back to blighty in order to get a decent reward for their skills.

At this rate all Oz will have left behind will be the minimum wage manual workers. Still it seems there are plenty of Poms with a willingness to move to the land of low pay and years of "casual" employment, maybe they will take up the slack?

You missed the important bit of the story! It is the men that are moving to Europe etc leaving a lot of desperate women who can't find a man. That's is even more reason to go in my book.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I sort of alluded to this in my thread, about one of my children. However how do you come to the conclusion that Australia has low wages, and long hours, when the average overall wage according to government stats, which I've posted on this BBS before are within 5 pct of the uk, and working hours statistically are less.

The only thing that Australia lacks is a big commerce centre. For people like tradesman, and even general labourers, Australia on wages probably comes out in front.

I thought Maggot invented the casual worker way back when in the UK, so they have their fair share of casual workers in the UK you know ?

Another fact, workers in Aussie definetly get more leisure time.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:50 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

At least they have a choice!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:52 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
You missed the important bit of the story! It is the men that are moving to Europe etc leaving a lot of desperate women who can't find a man. That's is even more reason to go in my book.
PSML
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:53 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
And while we play with the Sheilas......Bruce will be taking Statics job
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I sort of alluded to this in my thread, about one of my children. However how do you come to the conclusion that Australia has low wages, and long hours, when the average overall wage according to government stats, which I've posted on this BBS before are within 5 pct of the uk, and working hours statistically are less.

The only thing that Australia lacks is a big commerce centre. For people like tradesman, and even general labourers, Australia on wages probably comes out in front.

I thought Maggot invented the casual worker way back when in the UK, so they have their fair share of casual workers in the UK you know ?

Another fact, workers in Aussie definetly get more leisure time.

I was mainly referring to professionals, my Aussie wife for instance is an accountant, she earns at least double here than she would in Australia. I agree with you about tradies though, I think they are about the only section of the Aussie workforce who do get a decent wage.

As for casuals, yes they exist in the UK, however most people who use them (casual/temp agencies) are students, who want short periods of work on their breaks, or people using agencies in order to secure a full time contracted work (know as going temp to perm) which last around 3-6 months. I could not believe the amount of workers in Oz who were "casual" for years. No job security, no sick pay, no holiday pay. I think it is disgusting and I can only see it getting worse under John Howard.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:04 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

I was mainly referring to professionals, my Aussie wife for instance is an accountant, she earns at least double here than she would in Australia. I agree with you about tradies though, I think they are about the only section of the Aussie workforce who do get a decent wage.

As for casuals, yes they exist in the UK, however most people who use them (casual/temp agencies) are students, who want short periods of work on their breaks, or people using agencies in order to secure a full time contracted work (know as going temp to perm) which last around 3-6 months. I could not believe the amount of workers in Oz who were "casual" for years. No job security, no sick pay, no holiday pay. I think it is disgusting and I can only see it getting worse under John Howard.
Do you live in Australia or UK?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Talking personal circumstances, I as a postal worker probably get about 25 pct more than my counterpart in the uk, perhaps even more, and a hell of a lot more holidays. My wife a Pysch nurse, gets a similar wage to her UK counterpart, again with far more holidays, and when you add long service leave. Aussie comes into it's own when one has a full time/permanent job.

As for John Howard, I cannot beleive working people voted for him.

Casual work should be outlawed. I still blame maggot for that
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

No job security, no sick pay, no holiday pay. I think it is disgusting and I can only see it getting worse under John Howard.

Is there any job security in the uk.?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

John has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Britain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4712983.stm

Taxiiiiiii!!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Is there any job security in the uk.?
By that statement I was referring to the fact that with a contract the employer has to give a reason to get rid of you and you have a notice period. As a "casual" its a case of if the phone does not ring for you today, you get no pay, no explaination, you just are not wanted any more. Hardly ideal for years on end is it?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAllen
Welcome to Britain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4712983.stm

Taxiiiiiii!!

The fact that pensioners are living longer, combined with a falling birth rate is a problem affecting all Western countries, as their is not enough cash to carry on the way we are now. It wont be long before little shit Johnny H comes up with some similar (or worse) scheme.

At least the UK state pension is not means tested, unlike in Oz, did you know that before you posted that link?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

By that statement I was referring to the fact that with a contract the employer has to give a reason to get rid of you and you have a notice period. As a "casual" its a case of if the phone does not ring for you today, you get no pay, no explaination, you just are not wanted any more. Hardly ideal for years on end is it?

That's true, but only applies to companies with less than 100 employees.

The reform on this basis, is handing power to the employer to get rid of employees who are not up to the mark. ie dead wood basically

...I disagree in this principle due to the fact that all employees are under this umberella of suspicion etc

A lot of employees here have been roused by this IR reforms and recently protests have been made and are continuing. The need for media exposure is great and is growing.

This is not over yet.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest change in migration trends in recent years has been a huge increase in the number of Australians migrating to the UK on a permanent basis:

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news514.html

Eatstatic has a point here.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.