Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Drivers .... Particularly Canberra

Australian Drivers .... Particularly Canberra

Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Drivers .... Particularly Canberra

I thought driving through London was bad ... but it doesnt have anything on here! the average Australian is a very nice breed (particularly to the Scots!) but put them behind a wheel and its unbelievable ... i have seen it in Sydney to, but in Canberra its shocking ...

Do people here think that driving 3 inches away from the car infront rear bumper at 120k's is safe? the tailgating that goes on is shocking, and i dont think the natives know that overtaking on the left is illegal (no-one in my office acctually knew that 'undertaking' was!) but worst of all ... no unspoken language of the road, no flash of the lights, nod, smile, or lift of the finger for thank you ... no-one acknowledges anyone on the road, no-one lets anyone else in or out, and it makes my blood boil, its so selfish ... and people will do ANYTHING to cut you up .. happens alot here in Canberra, with this ' form one lane' nonsense, and being overtaken on a roundabout ... there would be a public execution for this anywhere else in the world ...

and again, its not just Canberra, Sydney was shocking also. Know i know why all Sydney taxi drivers are asian ... they are kamikaze pilots

anyone else noticed this? or is it just me?
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Drivers .... Particularly Canberra

Actually, overtaking on the left (or undertaking or whatever you like to call it) is not illegal here.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Actually, overtaking on the left (or undertaking or whatever you like to call it) is not illegal here.

it is in the ACT

Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

you think its not against the rules in NSW? think again ... here is the PDF download of the NSW highway code, specifically the part on overtaking...

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nloads/p11.pdf

and you didnt even know ... shame on you!!

Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I am well aware of the rules in NSW and the ACT (they are practically identical).

The ACT rules say:
Vehicles should normally be overtaken in the right lane. However, in certain
circumstances you may pass a vehicle on the left hand side.
For example:
• on multi-lane roads you may pass
to the left of a vehicle which is in
another lane proceeding in the same
direction
;
http://www.transport.act.gov.au/__da...06_Part_D1.pdf

The NSW rules say:
141 No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a
vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless:
(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle
can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the
vehicle; or

In both cases, you are allowed to overtake on the left if there is more than one lane and they are marked.

And you didn't even know - shame on you for not reading the small print!

Last edited by NickyC; Jan 8th 2007 at 1:38 am.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:40 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

I am well aware of the rules in NSW and the ACT (they are practically identical).

The ACT rules say:
Vehicles should normally be overtaken in the right lane. However, in certain
circumstances you may pass a vehicle on the left hand side.
For example:
• on multi-lane roads you may pass
to the left of a vehicle which is in
another lane proceeding in the same
direction
;
http://www.transport.act.gov.au/__da...06_Part_D1.pdf

The NSW rules say:
141 No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a
vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless:
(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle
can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the
vehicle; or

In both cases, you are allowed to overtake on the left if there is more than one lane and they are marked.

And you didn't even know - shame on you for not reading the small print!
Small print?? I was just looking up the ACT handbook online as I was sure it was legal also, having lived there a few years ago...its in the main body of the Road Craft book...HUGE sized typing actually....

Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
Small print?? I was just looking up the ACT handbook online as I was sure it was legal also, having lived there a few years ago...its in the main body of the Road Craft book...HUGE sized typing actually....

mmm ... i was onformed by a traffic cop on the Monaro highway that its illegal !!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:52 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
mmm ... i was onformed by a traffic cop on the Monaro highway that its illegal !!
Thats all good and well, and understandably you believed him. Most would.

But the sarcastic "Shame on you" was uncalled for, IMO
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

but worst of all ... no unspoken language of the road, no flash of the lights, nod, smile, or lift of the finger for thank you ... no-one acknowledges anyone on the road
a common complaint - but I find occasionally they do. But I think it helps driving a white ute and tradie's do seem to take notice.

I recognise other drivers and thank them because they might just fancy doing it to someone else in a few minutes down the line.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Toryglen-Boy;4258871]I thought driving through London was bad ... but it doesnt have anything on here! the average Australian is a very nice breed (particularly to the Scots!) but put them behind a wheel and its unbelievable ... i have seen it in Sydney to, but in Canberra its shocking ...

Do people here think that driving 3 inches away from the car infront rear bumper at 120k's is safe? the tailgating that goes on is shocking, and i dont think the natives know that overtaking on the left is illegal (no-one in my office acctually knew that 'undertaking' was!) but worst of all ... no unspoken language of the road, no flash of the lights, nod, smile, or lift of the finger for thank you ... no-one acknowledges anyone on the road, no-one lets anyone else in or out, and it makes my blood boil, its so selfish ... and people will do ANYTHING to cut you up .. happens alot here in Canberra, with this ' form one lane' nonsense, and being overtaken on a roundabout ... there would be a public execution for this anywhere else in the world ...

Nope - it isn't just you.

I take my life in my hands everytime I head out in the car.....not all Canberra drivers are bad - but we seem to have more than our fair share.

The bit that annoys me is when you see a car overtake and then undertake and then overtake and then undertake - snaking along the highway - when everyone else is doing the speed limit - they put other drivers in danger.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I thought driving through London was bad ... but it doesnt have anything on here! the average Australian is a very nice breed (particularly to the Scots!) but put them behind a wheel and its unbelievable ... i have seen it in Sydney to, but in Canberra its shocking ...

and again, its not just Canberra, Sydney was shocking also. Know i know why all Sydney taxi drivers are asian ... they are kamikaze pilots

anyone else noticed this? or is it just me?

no it isn't just you,while on holidays in Sydney I went up to a taxi stand, got in the first taxi,told the driver the area that I wanted to go to,not only could he hardly speak english,he had no idea how to get to where I wanted to go,he then proceeded to pass me a street directory, and asked me to find it for him. I just got out of his taxi and took the one parked behind him!!!!! thank God this driver knew where he was going.
Speaking about bad drivers try " South AUSTRALIA " BAD BAD BAD
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

The big point in Canberra is apart from zero driver education, the fact is when you have a 300,000 city and only 3 Police cars running around at night people can get away with anything on the roads, driving up north boune with a bottle of VB in your hand no worries here driving around like a complete ****** no worries if the police wont enforce the roads you get away with murder on Canberra roads, thats a hugh culture shock if you come from the UK , if you get done for drink driving here you only get 3 months off the road or a special licence you cant drive after 7pm if you need it for work no wonder its 40 years behind the UK in terms of road safety and driver education.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomref
The big point in Canberra is apart from zero driver education, the fact is when you have a 300,000 city and only 3 Police cars running around at night people can get away with anything on the roads, driving up north boune with a bottle of VB in your hand no worries here driving around like a complete ****** no worries if the police wont enforce the roads you get away with murder on Canberra roads, thats a hugh culture shock if you come from the UK , if you get done for drink driving here you only get 3 months off the road or a special licence you cant drive after 7pm if you need it for work no wonder its 40 years behind the UK in terms of road safety and driver education.
40 years...that much!? Don't the airbags and cars themselves average it out to more like 25 at the very worst. And that be due to be a few things like legislation like you say. I always laugh when people come out with 'bowling figures' like that(!)
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:54 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I find the majority of ozzie drivers a lot less aggressive than the majority of London drivers where I drove for 15+ years.
I passed my test in ACT and found ACT particularly easy going with plenty of courteous drivers.
I do find ozzie drivers have less road sense with regards to over/undertaking, speeding, tail-gating, indicating etc. They just don't seem to understand the dangerous implications of doing them!

Andrew
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:44 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

I thought driving through London was bad...
The only bit I've found noticeably different here in Sydney is the lack of courtesy when letting people out, etc... I used to do it all the time, but now I'm fully acclimatised It's like the NY taxi driver stopped in front of a pedestrian crossing, leans out his window and says 'Go ahead, if you think you can make it...'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.