Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Wikiposts

Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Old Oct 12th 2005, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Jempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Sounds like your beaten before you start, I think your not the type of person to take on such a challenge. stay in England, and watch how you cross the road lol
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kris maynard
I had hoped that people would contradict my research. Tell me something positive I've overlooked...

I'm going to go into a monty pythonesque sketch here with the hole in middle of road thing..

Have VERY little money (I'm a nurse) and am sole income earner for family of 6 (we have 4 Kids) ... when we go we will be starting from scratch again. It is a huge risk but the opportunities for our children are far greater there than they are here in the UK.

You are lucky not to have dependents, if we have got it wrong we mess up six lives not just one. And who is it that said it is a lot easier to be poor in a hot country?

You are looking at the worst and need to remember why you even started to look into emigrating. You appear to have lost confidence. There are no certainties in this life, only death and taxes... You cannot know until you have done it, but if you are going to refuse at the very first hurdle then I wouldn't bother looking into it any further...

Why did you start researching Oz? can you remember?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:28 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

You know, Clotje, I've always known that emigrating is risky - there are no guarantees and things may go completely tits up. Most people would agree that jumping in feet first, without any idea of what you're getting yourself into, isn't a good idea. But at the opposite end, you can over-analyse things because, as you have found out yourself, when you look at things simply in black and white terms, you can talk yourself out of doing something because the *possible* risks involved seem too great.

I don't mind telling I'm more than abit scared about emigrating. On paper, it is sheer madness - Dave and I will be leaving a very comfortable and secure life in the UK and we'll be right back at the bottom of the ladder in terms of most things when we emigrate......but we want to give it a go. We know it's going to be tough, both financially and emotionally, BUT we're prepared to take our chances and go for it.

All of us on this forum are starting from scratch, in one way or another, when we emigrate. Okay, our situations vary - some are going to Oz with a fair amount of money behind them, some hardly any funds, some of us have family over there, some none - but the common thread that runs through is a determination to make it work.

I'm not saying that the points you have raised aren't valid - and ultimately you must decide what's right for you. BUT you also need to look inside yourself and decide how much you want to emigrate and what you would be prepared to do to make it work. I personally believe that having that determination and tenacity is probably, in the long run, more important to successfully emigrating than anything else.

Nicky

Nicky
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Thanks mate, it's a great feeling! We're off to the Irish Republic for our 1-week honeymoon.

Oh, and... can't believe I wrote "marrined" - d'oh!
hi good luck on your wedding.enjoy your honeymoon in Ireland,bring plenty of warm clothes. i had my honeymoon in Ireland with my two sisters and my husband of course.the will be lovely and the pubs smoke free.say hi to my parents in limerick.hope things work out for you.slan leat.Sandra.xx
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jempower
Sounds like your beaten before you start, I think your not the type of person to take on such a challenge. stay in England, and watch how you cross the road lol
Didn't take long did it?

G
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:56 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Originally Posted by irishbloo
hi good luck on your wedding.enjoy your honeymoon in Ireland,bring plenty of warm clothes. i had my honeymoon in Ireland with my two sisters and my husband of course.the will be lovely and the pubs smoke free.say hi to my parents in limerick.hope things work out for you.slan leat.Sandra.xx
Thanks mate; the smoke free pubs will feel just like home!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:58 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
You know, Clotje, I've always known that emigrating is risky - there are no guarantees and things may go completely tits up. Most people would agree that jumping in feet first, without any idea of what you're getting yourself into, isn't a good idea. But at the opposite end, you can over-analyse things because, as you have found out yourself, when you look at things simply in black and white terms, you can talk yourself out of doing something because the *possible* risks involved seem too great.

I don't mind telling I'm more than abit scared about emigrating. On paper, it is sheer madness - Dave and I will be leaving a very comfortable and secure life in the UK and we'll be right back at the bottom of the ladder in terms of most things when we emigrate......but we want to give it a go. We know it's going to be tough, both financially and emotionally, BUT we're prepared to take our chances and go for it.

All of us on this forum are starting from scratch, in one way or another, when we emigrate. Okay, our situations vary - some are going to Oz with a fair amount of money behind them, some hardly any funds, some of us have family over there, some none - but the common thread that runs through is a determination to make it work.

I'm not saying that the points you have raised aren't valid - and ultimately you must decide what's right for you. BUT you also need to look inside yourself and decide how much you want to emigrate and what you would be prepared to do to make it work. I personally believe that having that determination and tenacity is probably, in the long run, more important to successfully emigrating than anything else.

Nicky

Nicky
Nicky this is EXACTLY how me and my wife jodie feel ... we too will be going back to the bottom of the ladder with most things .. but like you we are determined to give it a go and make it work ...
Old Oct 12th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cam_uk
Nicky this is EXACTLY how me and my wife jodie feel ... we too will be going back to the bottom of the ladder with most things .. but like you we are determined to give it a go and make it work ...
My view is yer a long time dead (optimistic bugger arent I) so I dont want to live with any regrets if I can help it. If it doesnt work out...well hey...its only money right (we are in no way well off believe me no house to sell or anything!)...it might take as a while to recover if we came back to UK but hell we are going to have some stories to tell the kiddies!!!

In the end it all boils down to what feels right....for us this feels right..it scares the buggery out of us but I always enjoyed the ghost train as a kid!!! :-)
Old Oct 12th 2005, 8:47 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm here in the UK on a 4-year ancestry visa, with an almost identical experience to yourself.

Aussie work history doesn't count; if it's not local, they don't want to know. I can't get benefits, so I basically starved for four weeks when I ran out of work earlier this year. I've used the NHS when I've been sick, and you will find that Medicare looks after you when you're ill (the NHS has a reciprocal arrangement with Medicare, so no problems there.) And since none of the banks will give me a bank account, I've had to settle for a passbook account from a local building society (no direct debits, no card, no chequebook; just a passbook and a wad of cash in my hot little hand when I make a withdrawal!)

I've lived in some pretty basic rental accommodation (but currently boarding with a friend who has a nice new apartment and soon to move into my fiance's house after we're married in 2 weeks' time) and my current job - though permanent - is pretty brainless. It also pays a lot less than my job back home in Australia, where I earned the same amount for a 25-hour week (as opposed to the 38-hour week I'm currently working.)

I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll only ever get simple office work here in the UK, but am hoping that this will leave me with a few additional skills that I can take home.

At the end of the day, you just have to grin and bear it; try to look beyond your working life, and focus on the cultural experience, new friends, different scenery, etc.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do; there's no shame in deciding that it wouldn't work out, and waiting for a better chance to take the plunge.

Vash...this is almost EXACTLY how it happened for me when I landed in the UK!!

The red tape and bureaucracy is incredible!! I couldn't believe how difficult it was just to open a bank account!!

I arrived in the UK with 125 GBP to my name. Only had my Birth Cert and my Dads but still needed to find my Grandfathers who was born over there to apply for my ancestry visa. Didnt have a clue how long it would take before I could work...was a pretty scary time.

6 weeks later got my visa and then started to look for work!! Was a pretty tough 6 weeks, let me tell ya....but would I do it again? HELL YEAH!!!

I couldnt imagine living my life being scared to try new things "just in case it went wrong".....that would make me really sad to be honest.

Oh and Vash....Congrats on the wedding!! I am sure its going to go smoothly and I hope you both have a really happy life! Oh and may the fleas of a thousand camels not infest your underwear!! (sorry just a little private joke from my wedding )
Old Oct 12th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by clotje
I wanted to emigrate to Australia and did a lot of research. After I completed my research I decided not to make the move. Here are the reasons why.
I would have to go on a temporary SIR visa. After 2 years I could apply for permanent residency which means that I wouldn’t qualify for any kind of government benefits for at least 4 years. So if I couldn’t find a job or got made redundant I would have to life of air and nice views.
I don’t have a lot of cash which is what you need if you go to Australia because even though the government says they want immigrants they’re not interested in helping them. (after all, people on temporary visas pay more health insurance, have to have their qualifications assessed not once, but twice etc.) So say I’d move there and look for a job. People who are already in Oz, have warned me that it would take me at least 3 months to find a suitable job. Not a job I’ve done before, mind you. Australian companies seem to ignore previous (foreign) experience and education. If it’s not Australian, it doesn’t count. So I’d have to take a job below my qualifications/experience for less pay. And since Australian companies don’t want to hire people on a permanent basis, only causal, I wouldn’t have any kind of job security whatsoever. Which is something banks want, in my experience, if you want to apply for a mortgage. So I’d be stuck in a rental house, get crappy pay, in a job that wouldn’t stimulate me mentally, without knowing if I had a job the following week. And what if I were to fall ill? There is nothing stopping an employer to fire you, after all, you’re just working on a casual basis. So I could be stuck in a rental house, without crappy pay, sick and living of air…that is until I’d get evicted for not being able to pay the rent. So, being single I’ve decided that the risk is too great. I don’t have a rich husband and without any kind of security it’s madness to make the move (unless you’re willing to clean toilets or stack shelves in a supermarket)
BTW there’s nothing wrong with cleaning toilets or stacking shelves…I did the latter when I was a teenager, but I’d like to think that I’ve evolved since those days. I couldn’t work in a mindless job for the rest of my live.
I’d be curious to see what your research has shown…is the picture I paint too grim or do you agree that it is a possible reality?

Your single, what have you got to lose?

Whats the worse that can happen, it does not work out and you come home...with one hell of a story to tell.

My two penneth worth.

Mark
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:24 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Originally Posted by Hels
Vash...this is almost EXACTLY how it happened for me when I landed in the UK!!

The red tape and bureaucracy is incredible!! I couldn't believe how difficult it was just to open a bank account!!
LOL, thanks mate; glad to know that somebody else has been through it too!

The red tape is mindblowing; can't open an account over the counter like we do back home (and you actually need an appointment for this, apparently, which needs to be booked (x) days in advance!), one NI number for temp work, a different NI number for permanent work, a TV license (!?), a duplicate driver's license in paper (!?) - and don't even get me started on the rail & postal systems! :scared: BTW, does anyone know why can't you get repeat prescriptions in this country? Or can you? If there's a way to do it, I'd love to know!

I arrived in the UK with 125 GBP to my name. Only had my Birth Cert and my Dads but still needed to find my Grandfathers who was born over there to apply for my ancestry visa. Didnt have a clue how long it would take before I could work...was a pretty scary time.

6 weeks later got my visa and then started to look for work!! Was a pretty tough 6 weeks, let me tell ya....but would I do it again? HELL YEAH!!!
I had my ancestry visa sitting in my passport long before I left Australia, and landed in London with a good £1,500 in my wallet - but that money ran out in a disastrously short space of time, and even with the help of friends it took me a good 7 months to find my feet.

I couldnt imagine living my life being scared to try new things "just in case it went wrong".....that would make me really sad to be honest.
Aye, that was my rationale; life's too short for waiting until "the best time" to do things! After several years of waiting for the best time to visit the UK, I finally realised that there's no "best time"; you just have to run out and grab the world with both hands, come what may!

Oh and Vash....Congrats on the wedding!! I am sure its going to go smoothly and I hope you both have a really happy life! Oh and may the fleas of a thousand camels not infest your underwear!! (sorry just a little private joke from my wedding )
LOL, thanks mate - less than 2 weeks to go now, and I'm counting the hours!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, thanks mate; glad to know that somebody else has been through it too!

The red tape is mindblowing; can't open an account over the counter like we do back home (and you actually need an appointment for this, apparently, which needs to be booked (x) days in advance!), one NI number for temp work, a different NI number for permanent work, a TV license (!?), a duplicate driver's license in paper (!?) - and don't even get me started on the rail & postal systems! BTW, does anyone know why can't you get repeat prescriptions in this country? Or can you? If there's a way to do it, I'd love to know!

I had my ancestry visa sitting in my passport long before I left Australia, and landed in London with a good £1,500 in my wallet - but that money ran out in a disastrously short space of time, and even with the help of friends it took me a good 7 months to find my feet.

Aye, that was my rationale; life's too short for waiting until "the best time" to do things! After several years of waiting for the best time to visit the UK, I finally realised that there's no "best time"; you just have to run out and grab the world with both hands, come what may!

I was working in London for 4 years and because of the hassle to apply for an NI number....I never did!!

Dunno what I missed out or even IF I missed out on anything because I didnt get one....but oh well....too late to worry about it now hehehehe

So where are you getting married? Hubby and I came home to Oz to get married which I am pretty pleased about because none of his family bothered to come...
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

Gosh Clotje, I gotta agree with some of the previous replies, if you feel this bad about Oz at such an early stage, maybe you should move to the UK, at least you can then claim benefits and stay indoors watching TV all day. (sorry Grayling, but some people just ask for it!!)

A few people I know have gone to OZ on a PR visa and have had good experiences and yes the Oz government do give out benefits (if you have a PR visa)
I have lived in South Africa for 25 years and the UK for 8 years and yes in the UK you always have the financial safety of sponging off the government but Im going to Oz to Live my life even if it means not having a new car every 3 years, new gadgets every month etc, etc

Sorry if I have offended anyone, and good luck with what ever you do
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, does anyone know why can't you get repeat prescriptions in this country? Or can you? If there's a way to do it, I'd love to know!

Hope the hours go quickly
Re the repeat prescriptions - often if you ring the surgery they will send you one without you seeing the doctor. They just don't tend to give you more than one script at a time (as they do here). Depends what the drug is, but try speaking the receptionist. They may be able to get the doctor to sign one for you and send it, or you pick it up.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Congratulations Vash. You've kept that one quiet! All the best.Are your family coming over for the big day?
Sue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.