Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:45 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice
Default Re: Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Life is bloody good for those with the right attitude towards it
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

glasurit will become famous soon enoughglasurit will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No worries mate.

Private health insurance is pretty affordable; I had it when I lived back home, but can't afford it here in the UK.

The Australian government will give you a 30% rebate on your premiums if you take out private healthcare:

Source.

That's one of the things I enjoy most about home - the government doesn't starve you or spoil you; instead, it tend to meet you halfway with a "you do your bit, and we'll do ours" sort of compromise.

Blimey Vash, couldn't imagine our government giving that incentive - they'd just want their cake and eat it! 30% is a hefty compromise. I'm glad to see a government who are proactive and interested in the health welfare of their people.

Cheers for the info and link mate, much appreciated.

Glasurit.
    Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:01 pm
    Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
    Thumbs up Re: Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Originally Posted by glasurit
    Blimey Vash, couldn't imagine our government giving that incentive - they'd just want their cake and eat it! 30% is a hefty compromise. I'm glad to see a government who are proactive and interested in the health welfare of their people.

Cheers for the info and link mate, much appreciated.

Glasurit.
    No worries mate, my pleasure!
    Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:04 pm
    Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Re those reading this thread that had trouble establishing in the UK.... We took heed of the warnings on this, and directed my Daughter on her recent arrival to 1st contact.com which took care of all her introductory needs in one go. Bank Account, NI number, Mobile Phone etc etc. Very easy and trouble free, but like i said that was because we took heed of the many warnings, and paid the 90 AUD fee.

http://www.1stcontact.co.uk/live/index.php

My 20yo Aussie born and bred Daughter as many of you know is doing the reverse to the Opening poster, and despite the fact that she has lot of UK family etc, is finding that even with a full British passport, that she can only get crap jobs offered to her, even though she has proven Aussie capacity. It's par for the course when one first visits a new country, she will persevere, not take the crap jobs, and keep trying. She did get offered 3 office admin jobs on her first visit to an employment agency, but the top rate was only 7.20 pounds per hour, far less than she was earning here in Melbourne. If it turns out that is all that is available. She will take one of those, and keep trying. She is in the UK, to try and earn big money, possibly strengthen and further her career path and to see Europe and the rest of the world.

My advice to the Opening poster is, you never know where you will find Gold. I worked solely in the Square mile when I lived in the UK, the last 7 years in a Ship broking environment. I ended up reading gas meters in this country, after retrenchment from the Gas and Fuel have found myself working in a fantastically happy environment at Aussie post. I own far better property than I ever could have dreamed of owning in the UK. Our 4 outgoing Aussie Kids are a credit to my wife and I and even more so to the character based education system of the Aussie schools. The 24 years I've been here have been the best and most enjoyable of my life, and long may it continue this way..

You cannot create an exact map of your life. Thank god
    Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:10 pm
    Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
    Thumbs up Re: Australian dream has turned into nightmare

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
    Re those reading this thread that had trouble establishing in the UK.... We took heed of the warnings on this, and directed my Daughter on her recent arrival to 1st contact.com which took care of all her introductory needs in one go. Bank Account, NI number, Mobile Phone etc etc. Very easy and trouble free, but like i said that was because we took heed of the many warnings, and paid the 90 AUD fee.

http://www.1stcontact.co.uk/live/index.php

My 20yo Aussie born and bred Daughter as many of you know is doing the reverse to the Opening poster, and despite the fact that she has lot of UK family etc, is finding that even with a full British passport, that she can only get crap jobs offered to her, even though she has proven Aussie capacity. It's par for the course when one first visits a new country, she will persevere, not take the crap jobs, and keep trying. She did get offered 3 office admin jobs on her first visit to an employment agency, but the top rate was only 7.20 pounds per hour, far less than she was earning here in Melbourne. If it turns out that is all that is available. She will take one of those, and keep trying. She is in the UK, to try and earn big money, possibly strengthen and further her career path and to see Europe and the rest of the world.

My advice to the Opening poster is, you never know where you will find Gold. I worked solely in the Square mile when I lived in the UK, the last 7 years in a Ship broking environment. I ended up reading gas meters in this country, after retrenchment from the Gas and Fuel have found myself working in a fantastically happy environment at Aussie post. I own far better property than I ever could have dreamed of owning in the UK. Our 4 outgoing Aussie Kids are a credit to my wife and I and even more so to the character based education system of the Aussie schools. The 24 years I've been here have been the best and most enjoyable of my life, and long may it continue this way..

You cannot create an exact map of your life. Thank god
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ozzieeagle again.
    Well, I tried.
    Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:31 pm
    Just Joined

[
    My 20yo Aussie born and bred Daughter as many of you know is doing the reverse to the Opening poster, and despite the fact that she has lot of UK family etc, is finding that even with a full British passport, that she can only get crap jobs offered to her, even though she has proven Aussie capacity. It's par for the course when one first visits a new country, she will persevere, not take the crap jobs, and keep trying. She did get offered 3 office admin jobs on her first visit to an employment agency, but the top rate was only 7.20 pounds per hour, far less than she was earning here in Melbourne.

Hi,

I appreciate you read gas meters etc. which is fairly paid. But, I'm also thinking about what you call "crap" for "£7.20" per hour. To be honest, and I don't mean to sound like a whinging hag (oh, I've just hopped onto this, my partner registered tonight so it's his best half !!??! replying here) but in many parts of the country uk citizens would bite their little finger off to have that hourly rate for a 'crappy' office job. Now, I'm not trying to assume your daughter is uneducated or anything. I'm just saying that some of us are highly educated but still poorly paid. Depends on where you live and NOT your nationality. You will, in time, find this to be true. Us brits are very open to diversity, it's only when we get taken for a ride that it grates on us. Hope your daugher finds a job she is happy with ... I hope further, that she perserveres. It's an ole Brit thing, but 'what comes around, goes around' that is if she's got the 'mustard' she'll be fine ...

one last thing - you cannnot compare us to oz - I know brits are always doing the comparative thing ... it's a waste of time and energy. Countries economic, politic, artistic, historic, educational, health etc etc is always going to have a gulf to divide what people are used to. Do and appreciate what you love, if not you still have options ... the uk is not for everyone.

I'd go on further but then it would be soap-box rant.

Simply put, regardless, your daughter had been offered a better starter income than most brits with qualifications get in oz. You only have to view a few threads here, and other internet sites, to realise the truth in what I'm writing.

Best luck to you all,
    Glasurit (but his Missus Wend wrote this post)
    Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:38 pm
    Just Joined

ps. I did read the positive notes at the end of your post. I know you've had to go thru hardship to get your foothold on things. I wasn't meaning to be deprecative - I just wanted to let other viewers realise that you do not necessarily get a toe-hold in the door immediately. Often, like in Oz, you have to prove your metal first. But, as a starter offer your daughter's was fair IMHO.

Wend (Glasurit's missus)
    Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:47 pm
    kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle]She did get offered 3 office admin jobs on her first visit to an employment agency, but the top rate was only 7.20 pounds per hour, far less than she was earning here in Melbourne. If it turns out that is all that is available. She will take one of those, and keep trying. She is in the UK, to try and earn big money, possibly strengthen and further her career path and to see Europe and the rest of the world.

[QUOTE]

£7.20 an hour isnt too bad you know..

Just a question but why do a lot of southern hemisphere people think they can come to the UK and earn 'big money'?
    Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:02 am
    BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carkedit
    £7.20 an hour isnt too bad you know..

Just a question but why do a lot of southern hemisphere people think they can come to the UK and earn 'big money'?

Because some people are always telling us:

'the wages are so low in Australia'
    'you'll have to take a pay cut when you move to Australia'
    'poor little Aussies don't earn enough for holidays to Europe'

It makes us think that the pay must be MUCH higher in the UK...

Are you saying it's not?
    Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:08 am
    kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Originally Posted by nickyc

Are you saying it's not?
    I MUST be living in the wrong part of the UK..

its like Aussies/Kiwis think that by coming here they will earn enough to buy a house outright when they go home..I cant afford to buy a house in UK and I was born here! (granted I lived in OZ for 4 years but still...)
    Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:11 am
    Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
    MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc

Are you saying it's not?
    Come now nicky, get it right .........

Poor littles aussies don't earn enough for holidays anywhere overseas - all they can afford is the Gold Coast .

Oh & you cant buy decent cheese, shoes or underwear here either .
    Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:24 am
    kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

That explains why everyone walks around barefoot ;-)
    Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:29 am
    o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Clotje, you come across as an individual to whom new things are a threat rather than a challenge. So, if I were you, I'd stay put where you are now and keep doing whatever it is that you do.
    Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:31 am
    Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
    Come now nicky, get it right .........

Poor littles aussies don't earn enough for holidays anywhere overseas - all they can afford is the Gold Coast .

Oh and dont even START on Lettuces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:31 am
    o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hels
    Oh and dont even START on Lettuces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grow your own, I do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.