Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:56 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

So, I can apply for one as I have a PR Visa & will be validating in Nov08 - Is it worth it?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanessandave
I don't know why it says that because I got mine already from the UK, ANZ bank advised me to do it so they don't tax my savings at the highest rate.
You were wrongly advised then. As I explained above, if you are not resident in Oz, you should have tax deducted at 10%, TFN or no TFN.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:18 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilsweets
I got my TFN number offshore a couple of years ago using the same link. Has it changed recently?
Originally Posted by vanessandave
I don't know why it says that because I got mine already from the UK, ANZ bank advised me to do it so they don't tax my savings at the highest rate.
Ooer... I couldn't do mine before I got here and the reason I was given was that I needed to be here to do it... that was early 2006...
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:20 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Think i'll leave it till we arrive in Australia then....... Thanks for your replies even tho I am even more confussed than when I started
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by DrWho
Ooer... I couldn't do mine before I got here and the reason I was given was that I needed to be here to do it... that was early 2006...
I got mine because the ANZ taxed my first years interest at withholding tax as I had an address in Oz but no TFN. to claim it back I had to complete a tax return declaring I was offshore, to complete a tax return I had to have a TFN so I have one now. Come to think of it they never returned my birth certificate copy or drivers license copy I had to provide as proof of id!!?? :curse:
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:16 am
Just Joined

gavbro has a spectacular aura aboutgavbro has a spectacular aura aboutgavbro has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by di90
i have just called both my brokers and although it says $2.60 at the mo they trade at $2.56/7 to us. Hifx and World First.

When using these companies you need to be a little clever.
The rate they show is the actual rate, remember they need to make money so will offer you less.

However if for example World First makes you an offer.
Tell them it is too far off the actual rate and you will go to Forex, make sure World First has your mobile number and it is switched on.
Within 5 minutes you will get a call offering a better rate.

That's what they did with me.

Gav
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gavbro
When using these companies you need to be a little clever.
The rate they show is the actual rate, remember they need to make money so will offer you less.

However if for example World First makes you an offer.
Tell them it is too far off the actual rate and you will go to Forex, make sure World First has your mobile number and it is switched on.
Within 5 minutes you will get a call offering a better rate.

That's what they did with me.

Gav

If you use xe trade you can see the rate you are getting (updated every minute) before committing to the deal. No need to speak to anyone you are in total control.

chris