Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Originally Posted by bhysfan
i hope to move to aus next may and i thought this could boost my nest egg for going.
Sure you could make money this way. You will be taxed on the dosh as it leaves Australia though (they get you on everything!)

On the other hand, you could speculate on other things too: stocks, options, property, pork bellies!!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Our farmers will be pleased anyway and other exporters they hate the high dollar
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Where's it going? its back down to 2.39. We were planning to sort ourselves out tonight when OH got home, see what a few hours does !

What's the concensus? Staying up around 2.4 or higher as is the long term norm or was this a blip going back down especially when BoE make their announcements thursday?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
Where's it going? its back down to 2.39. We were planning to sort ourselves out tonight when OH got home, see what a few hours does !

What's the concensus? Staying up around 2.4 or higher as is the long term norm or was this a blip going back down especially when BoE make their announcements thursday?
Who knows. I reckon NY will go up tonight - which will probably cause the ASX to rise, which might make the AUD stronger. If BoE cuts on Thursday then AUD will get weaker still.

Unfortunately you sometimes have to be quick with this kind of thing. I scored this time but have lost out on plenty of other occassions.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Who knows. I reckon NY will go up tonight - which will probably cause the ASX to rise, which might make the AUD stronger. If BoE cuts on Thursday then AUD will get weaker still.

Unfortunately you sometimes have to be quick with this kind of thing. I scored this time but have lost out on plenty of other occasions.
Yeah I couldn't agree more. If you look at the historical charts with the AUD/GBP currencies (or indeed any others!) the moves can be very volatile and you have to move quickly....

I think the anomaly of the past year is most likely over now but you're always going to have to be quick to the the best rate.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Unfortunately you sometimes have to be quick with this kind of thing. I scored this time but have lost out on plenty of other occassions.
I agree with you some you lose some you win.
We have gone along the lines of changing money in stages to hopefully spread the risk. Changed a small amount last week , a more substantial amount yesterday and we will hold on for the rest.As we were talking to the money changers the rate was going down only to go back up a hour later. The rate is alot more than we thought 3 mths ago and fortunately we got full asking price on our house last year so we are happy.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by autorock
Yeah I couldn't agree more. If you look at the historical charts with the AUD/GBP currencies (or indeed any others!) the moves can be very volatile and you have to move quickly....

I think the anomaly of the past year is most likely over now but you're always going to have to be quick to the the best rate.
I was watching the rate like a hawk when the rate announcement was made - and managed to exchange at the peak. I've lost out plenty of other times though!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:06 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

I put all my worldly wealth on a limit order at 2.49... highest point was 2.4866

Bugger.

Still watching. Intrigued to know what happens when te seppos wake up now that they've shovelled a trillion into the 'rescue package'. A trillion.

Last edited by 4lex; Oct 7th 2008 at 9:29 am.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:19 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I just moved a bit of dosh and my high street bank gave me 2.39 against reuters saying it was sat at 2.415 or something. Not bad for a high street I thought? Probably could have got better but no time to sit and watch and against the 2.15 I was expecting a few days ago - cant be bad!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

Ive also had a long chat this evening with a money broker at moneycorp, and decided to put a limit order on at 2.47, which Im not convinced will now be achieved during the midnight hours, as there appears to be some negative news on the bbc business news page regarding a big bank meeting. I still reckon, or hope!!, that over the coming week or at least by the end of the year it will achieve around the 2.50+ mark, but again it will only peak for a while, so its so difficult to buy at the right time unless you spend every waking minute fixed to the pc and then a broker ready and waiting for your call !!!!..

Good luck to everyone in this scary or exciting days...

Russ
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:35 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by autorock
For what it's worth, the average rate for the past 10 years is $2.50. This past year has been an anomaly so you may well be in luck. I'll cross all my digits for you that you'll get north of $2.50!!
Thanks!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

mordechaivanunu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Anyone tell me what is the best way to change a reasonably small amount of GBP to AUD (approx £2000)?

Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:22 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

Its 2.4757 at the moment 21.22hrs
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:23 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

Originally Posted by silverski
Its 2.4757 at the moment 21.22hrs
Just moved to 2.4762 at 21.22hrs.

this couyld be fun or the begining of many heart attacks........
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:24 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

Originally Posted by silverski
Just moved to 2.4762 at 21.22hrs.

this couyld be fun or the begining of many heart attacks........
Then back to 2.4744 at 21.24 hrs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.