Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Dollar

Australian Dollar

Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Dollar

'
Double post

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 20th 2008 at 1:52 am. Reason: double post
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Based on what insight exactly? Total tosh.

Anybody's pet will tell you that a downturn is on its way. However, a 1930s-type depression? Only a fantasist/Daily Mail alarmist writer would come up with that.

But, be under no illusion, if US goes into recession, Europe, Oz won't be that far behind. Just cast your mind back a few weeks ago when the falls on Wall Street triggered some large 'irrational' falls on the Oz market. It underlines the fact that US is still the world's economic engine.

And before China and India are cited as the saviours of Oz, who do you think they sell their finished goods to? And don't forget that China's inflation is on the way up, so we'll see a contraction there too.

You'd better start praying.
Better face the possibility that you could be wrong on this one Mike. It's entirely possible that Australias living standard could permanently overtake the whole of Europe North America and Canada permanetly, within the next 3 years.

Time will tell, and it is mostly up to China and the rest of south east Asia.

China is set to overtake America as the largest economic power sometime this year.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Better face the possibility that you could be wrong on this one Mike. It's entirely possible that Australias living standard could permanently overtake the whole of Europe North America and Canada permanetly, within the next 3 years.

China is set to overtake America as the largest economic power sometime this year.
Wot you mean wer'e not already living da dream

You know what interests me so much about the current economic ups and downs, is australia seems to be talking itself into a recession its a big shift from the usual BIG it up, we are NUMBER one, WORLD class (yeah right) crap they usually ram down your throat daily. We were overseas recently and australian media is going right OTT.

Every time there is teensy blip on the economic scale the skys gonna fall. The aussie media is currently making the daily mail look like The Times. The other night the trailer for some current affairs type show was family sell of their kids toys to pay their mortage Its really a bit of a joke. Among our mates, well my mates there are 3 single working parents all women with mortages, not one of them has even considered flogging the family home, kids, etc.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:07 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Australian Dollar

But still if you earn $10,000 per month in USA its $11,000 per month in Australia.Even 10c difference create a lot of distance when considering amounts in thousands.

Living is cheap in USA then Australia.Australia have less competition in its local market therefore higher prices the poor consumers are paying higher prices for basics.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza

Living is cheap in USA then Australia.Australia have less competition in its local market therefore higher prices the poor consumers are paying higher prices for basics.
Cost of living in USA looked well cheap compared to OZ when we were there in dec/jan, But the wages were around $8 an hour for many jobs, minimum wage here is more like the $14, even jobs in cafes, cleaners pay more the $20

Maybe that balances it out.

All I know is we came back with about 100kgs of extra luggage cheap OMBG I stocked up on everything, right down to vitamins and toothpase, its a wonder they let me back in I had about 2000 pills ( vitamins ) expected immigration to have a right turn, declared the lot and they didnt even check my bags.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by smurtaza
But still if you earn $10,000 per month in USA its $11,000 per month in Australia.Even 10c difference create a lot of distance when considering amounts in thousands.

Smurt it comes down to how many hours or minutes you work to be able to afford anything you purchase ... the currency issue is an illusion. However because of the strong Aussie dollar (which is valued against it's resources) Imported goods are getting much cheaper... IE: taking less hours to purchase them.

BTW Icelandic banks are now almost certainly set to crash. Plus one other major UK bank.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BTW Icelandic banks are now almost certainly set to crash. Plus one other major UK bank.
Banks, interesting too.

Share market down

Houses, some people are talking it down despite shortfall not oversupply

Superannuation diving backwards

That leaves the safe haven of a nice 8% ( well about 5% after tax ) in the bank, or does it most aussie banks shares are already down 50%....

Only solution is spend it Party like its 2009
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Banks, interesting too.

Share market down

Houses, some people are talking it down despite shortfall not oversupply

Superannuation diving backwards

That leaves the safe haven of a nice 8% ( well about 5% after tax ) in the bank, or does it most aussie banks shares are already down 50%....

Only solution is spend it Party like its 2009

Yeah I cant work out this super stuff. Ive got some with a rollover at Bankers trust... thats lost 11,000 bucks in the last 8 months. Whereas the Aussie post one has increased by about 15,000 bucks in the last 8months.

The thing is, as far as I'm concerned I've got my funds invested in the same grouping.... 40pct international shares... 40pct balanced returns, and 20pct property trusts.

I realise that fund managers have different stratgies, but thats bloody ridiculous.

I'm just leaving them both, crossing my fingers, and hopefully in 5 years time when I'm due to thing seriously about delving into them, that all this financial turmoil will be historical data.

BTW that UK bank is HBOS
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:01 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Australian Dollar

Yeah I cant work out this super stuff. Ive got some with a rollover at Bankers trust... thats lost 11,000 bucks in the last 8 months. Whereas the Aussie post one has increased by about 15,000 bucks in the last 8months.
The Aussie Post super scheme is a cautious one, and seems to be exceptionally well managed. It's the one thing I miss the most now that I'm no longer a Post employee.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The Aussie Post super scheme is a cautious one, and seems to be exceptionally well managed. It's the one thing I miss the most now that I'm no longer a Post employee.
Yehp diversity isn't working in this case thats for sure lol.

Well maybe it is after a fashion.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Country Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the rough

If you combine the economy's of the next 4 countries behind the USA they still wouldn't past the economIC power of the US!!

It will be a while before anyone catches up with the US
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

its a big shift from the usual BIG it up, we are NUMBER one, WORLD class (yeah right) crap they usually ram down your throat daily.
What TV channels and papers do you read Jad? Or are we feeling sorry for ourselves again
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of living in USA looked well cheap compared to OZ when we were there in dec/jan, But the wages were around $8 an hour for many jobs, minimum wage here is more like the $14, even jobs in cafes, cleaners pay more the $20

Maybe that balances it out.

All I know is we came back with about 100kgs of extra luggage cheap OMBG I stocked up on everything, right down to vitamins and toothpase, its a wonder they let me back in I had about 2000 pills ( vitamins ) expected immigration to have a right turn, declared the lot and they didnt even check my bags.
The average American can still buy more widgets, tubes of toothpaste and chain saws than the average Aussie. However, I prefer my lifestyle here to what I would reasonably expect over there. I particularly like the fact that people here don't care much if you have a fancy car and designer jeans. The flip side is we don't shop around much and we get screwed
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

The thing is, as far as I'm concerned I've got my funds invested in the same grouping.... 40pct international shares... 40pct balanced returns, and 20pct property trusts.

I realise that fund managers have different stratgies, but thats bloody ridiculous.

I'm just leaving them both, crossing my fingers, and hopefully in 5 years time when I'm due to thing seriously about delving into them, that all this financial turmoil will be historical data.

BTW that UK bank is HBOS
A criminal investigation has been launched in the UK regarding the drop in the share price of HBOS - seems that "rogue" traders spread false rumours that this group of banks (its not one bank - the group includes Bank of Scotland and Halifax) was in trouble and made millions in the ensuing panic. HBOS in reality was in no more trouble than any other bank.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

heres the link to the story

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investi...5&in_page_id=3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.