Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian debit/credit cards ?

Australian debit/credit cards ?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Australian debit/credit cards ?

We opened a west pac account from the UK and since arriving 2 weeks ago have received a handycard each. We need a debit card like our old barclays connect card to do on-line shopping and for paying things over the phone using available funds from our day to day account that our salaries are paid into. what do i need to ask for at the bank as debit and credit seems to mean different things here! We don't need to borrow credit. I thought i needed to request a mastercard debit card but was told we are not eligable. We are currently on a 457 visa, does it make a difference? PARH
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:03 am
AJG
Just Joined

AJG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian debit/credit cards ?

I did the smae as you ie westpac in uk and opened withing a week of getting here. I was offered a mastercard DEBIT card on the spot. I also kept every one of my accounts open in the uk, including nationwide with 1k sterling in it as a just in case for the first few weeks. I would go back to westpac and demand a better card or threaten to move your money
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:05 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by parh
We opened a west pac account from the UK and since arriving 2 weeks ago have received a handycard each. We need a debit card like our old barclays connect card to do on-line shopping and for paying things over the phone using available funds from our day to day account that our salaries are paid into. what do i need to ask for at the bank as debit and credit seems to mean different things here! We don't need to borrow credit. I thought i needed to request a mastercard debit card but was told we are not eligable. We are currently on a 457 visa, does it make a difference? PARH
You should be able to get some form of Visa/Mastercard debit card (I have one, very handy it is too) ... can't think why you wouldn't be eligible, maybe some misunderstanding with them thinking you wanted credit ... even so, the number of people who get refused credit cards these days must be miniscule ...
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys. will be back in on monday to get it sorted!!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Oz-bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by parh
Oz is a bit behind on their debit cards and though you can use them for EFTPOS (EPOS in UK!!) most can't be used for online or telephone purchases because of the PIN No. (no idea why as obviously can in UK). So if you want to use a debit card for online/telephone purchases the only bank I know of who have this type of card is NAB and they've literally only just released it!

BTW onlione shoppping is very behind here too
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:13 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oz-bound

Oz is a bit behind on their debit cards and though you can use them for EFTPOS (EPOS in UK!!) most can't be used for online or telephone purchases because of the PIN No. (no idea why as obviously can in UK). So if you want to use a debit card for online/telephone purchases the only bank I know of who have this type of card is NAB and they've literally only just released it!

Westpac and Bankwest also have them, as i have accounts with both those banks. They are behind here on that though (along with twenty thousand other things they are behind on...dont get me started!)
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:33 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

We are with the Commonwealth and we were unable to get a Visa or Mastercard Debit card with them. So we had a Credit Card instead. With the internet banking we can just transfer the money straight across to the Credit Card as and when we use it. It is also good for the rewards points. However having a Credit Card to fall back on has been useful. Also remember that the limit of your Credit Card is automatically taken off the amount you can borrow on a Mortgage, so for example if you qualify to borrow $250,000 and you have a credit card limit of $5000 they will only lend you $245,000, even if you don't have an outstanding balance. This will only cause a problem though if you are borrowing up to your absolute limit - which a lot of Australians seem to do! You only have to look at some of the huge new houses with crappy old cars on the drive to prove that.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:38 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
We are with the Commonwealth and we were unable to get a Visa or Mastercard Debit card with them. So we had a Credit Card instead. With the internet banking we can just transfer the money straight across to the Credit Card as and when we use it. It is also good for the rewards points. However having a Credit Card to fall back on has been useful. Also remember that the limit of your Credit Card is automatically taken off the amount you can borrow on a Mortgage, so for example if you qualify to borrow $250,000 and you have a credit card limit of $5000 they will only lend you $245,000, even if you don't have an outstanding balance. This will only cause a problem though if you are borrowing up to your absolute limit - which a lot of Australians seem to do! You only have to look at some of the huge new houses with crappy old cars on the drive to prove that.
Westpac gave us a mastercard debit card on day 1, and it can act as a credit card where card credits are accepted ( goes straight from your account )
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:43 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Another option if you want a Visa card for online shopping is a Bopo card. It is a prepaid card (just visit your local Bill Express newsagent) which you can 'load' with cash when an online transaction is required. http://www.bopo.com.au has more info. For id you have to present the usual 100 point documents at a newsagent.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:40 am
AJG
Just Joined

AJG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by datamile
Westpac gave us a mastercard debit card on day 1, and it can act as a credit card where card credits are accepted ( goes straight from your account )
Dont get it confused, it is not a CREDIT CARD, it is a DEBIT CARD which has the Mastercard symbol and can be used online. Sorry to be anal but this may be where the confusion arose from in the first place, ie; asking for something incorrectly
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:47 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJG
Dont get it confused, it is not a CREDIT CARD, it is a DEBIT CARD which has the Mastercard symbol and can be used online. Sorry to be anal but this may be where the confusion arose from in the first place, ie; asking for something incorrectly
Yup, this one. Debit card, that can be processed by credit card terminals.

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...t%20mastercard
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:53 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The main reason debit cards aren't as popular as in the UK is that they're not really needed (not quite sure why this equates to being behind).

EFTPOS is used for shopping and direct credit and BPay are used for buying things online. I can't see any reason why debit cards should "take off" here.

I will agree that Direct Debit is behind the UK as the control of these lies with the supplier rather than the customer (making it harder for the customer to cancel a direct debit).

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 19th 2008 at 1:55 am.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:56 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Does any one know of an Australian credit card that does not charge an annual fee?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 2:06 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Does any one know of an Australian credit card that does not charge an annual fee?
Virgin. You can get one after you've been here for 6 months. Works well. Gave me a starting credit limit of $22k which I thought was reasonable.

There are others as well.

Have a look at this site. http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking...ds/default.asp

PS: You can get free banking here as well but don't tell everyone as they like to have something to moan about.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I am with 'Community CPS Credit Union' and I have a Visa Debit card. I can use it for paying anything online or over the 'phone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.