Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian debit/credit cards ?

Australian debit/credit cards ?

Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian debit/credit cards ?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Virgin. You can get one after you've been here for 6 months. Works well. Gave me a starting credit limit of $22k which I thought was reasonable.

There are others as well.

Have a look at this site. http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking...ds/default.asp

PS: You can get free banking here as well but don't tell everyone as they like to have something to moan about.
Don't have to be here six months - I got mine almost as we arrived.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:04 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Don't have to be here six months - I got mine almost as we arrived.
A change for the better. When will it stop?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:20 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Virgin. You can get one after you've been here for 6 months. Works well. Gave me a starting credit limit of $22k which I thought was reasonable.

There are others as well.

Have a look at this site. http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking...ds/default.asp

PS: You can get free banking here as well but don't tell everyone as they like to have something to moan about.
Many thanks for the info
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:45 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Australian debit/credit cards ?

Originally Posted by Oz-bound

Oz is a bit behind on their debit cards and though you can use them for EFTPOS (EPOS in UK!!) most can't be used for online or telephone purchases because of the PIN No. (no idea why as obviously can in UK). So if you want to use a debit card for online/telephone purchases the only bank I know of who have this type of card is NAB and they've literally only just released it!

BTW onlione shoppping is very behind here too
The quality and the integrity of everything in Australia is "Made In China......"
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:54 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Does any one know of an Australian credit card that does not charge an annual fee?
Our Citibank one has no annual fee and offers 1to1 when transfering points to Qantas FF points, a lot of the others dropped down to only convert at 50% of the ratio.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:26 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smurtaza
The quality and the integrity of everything in Australia is "Made In China......"
Damn right, personally I pine for the halcyon days of the UK car industry (well, the 3 days a week they were working, anyway) ... the Montego, the Allegro ... rocks of reliability.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Damn right, personally I pine for the halcyon days of the UK car industry (well, the 3 days a week they were working, anyway) ... the Montego, the Allegro ... rocks of reliability.

Hey! I owned two Montegos!

S
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hey! I owned two Montegos!

S
I learnt to drive in one AND got to the Le Mans 24 hour race and back in one (we bought it especially and sold it at a profit).

The turbo version HAD to be the 2nd worst British turbo car though.

The first? The Metro, obviously
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Most banks here will offer you two cards at the same time, One for use to purchase and pay for services and goods and one for cash. The cards are linked to one person or a couple. Basically you do all your day to day stuff with the "Visa or Mastercard" the other is used for cash withdrawals only. If you have enough money in your savings account there is no fee for the credit card. I've used this system for about 20 years now. The only time I've ever paid credit card interest is when I've forgotten to pay the card on the due date, which would be a couple of times before internet banking became the norm.

It's a very secure system, because if there is any fraudulent use of your card to purchase items, Visa or Mcard, cover the costs. Your cash is locked away on the other side of your account, and cannot be accessed by anyone but the user with a pin number AND carries the added security of a daily transaction limit. You can use your cash card, to withdraw money with no transaction cost at almost all supermarkets.

Totally different to the UK by the sounds of things
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light

I applied to Westpac today for the card I was after and we're not eligable as temporary residents, on a long stay visa! Pants!!

I'll have to keep using my UK one until we change our visa!

Seems strange considering we can buy a house once our finances are vetted!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by parh
I applied to Westpac today for the card I was after and we're not eligable as temporary residents, on a long stay visa! Pants!!

That's mental (especially for a Visa Debit card) ... have you checked the list of visas on this page:
http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...rd+application

According to this (and this is for a credit card):
---------------------------------------------
iv. Check to see whether you come under the following categories of visa. The accompanying list shows examples of common visa subclasses and is therefore not exhaustive or definitive. Please email [email protected] if you have any questions..

Australian citizen or permanent resident returning to Australia
New Zealand citizen
Employer sponsored visa (long stay or temporary), common subclasses are 457, 422, 857
Skilled – Permanent, or Skilled Independent Regional (Provisional) visa, common subclasses are 134, 136, 139 , 495
If you are granted a Business Skills, Investor or Talent visa, common subclasses are 132, 163, 164, 165, 457IE, 892, 893
Note: Satisfying the requirements above does not imply that your application will automatically be approved, as applications are subject to Westpac's normal lending criteria.
---------------------------------------------
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:55 am

OK, I've just checked this page:
http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...t%20mastercard

And it says you need PR or to be a citizen ... that's mad, I'd change banks.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:56 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
OK, I've just checked this page:
http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...t%20mastercard

And it says you need PR or to be a citizen ... that's mad, I'd change banks.

Yup, no such clauses to have a debit card with HSBC. And no fees either.

S
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:34 am
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by parh

Yep we found the same with Westpac - they lost a lot of money from us as we withdrew everything from them due to their shortsightedness - we went to the Commbank - fab online facilities and gave us both a debit and credit card instantly..... also with Westpac we had to keep $3000 in the cheque account missing out on interest we could have been earning to save on the fees now we pay $4 flat fee per month which I believe you can offset against the credit interest in the tax return. Good luck in your search.