Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Culture

Australian Culture

Old Apr 4th 2003, 4:56 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Culture

In order to get out and see the real Australia, rather than the beaches and large rocks, I thought I'd like to get to the Australian psyche and true cultural heritage.

I thought I'd start with The Big Pineapple (show-off, hollow, fake and pointless).

I'm aware of other Big things (fish?, prawns? etc.), anyone know what and where they are?
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Culture

It is a rather peculiar obsession. Take a look here:

Big Things
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:18 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

That was fantastic, thank you!
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:21 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jayr
And there's a Big Sociopath of no known location
Don't be so sycophantic with the compliments, I'm better with the long bow rather than the cross bow and I live near the Big Merino.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Jayr, thank you for pointing out some of Australias delights. I have a very nice photo of hubby in front of the Big Merino, unfortunately, I took it at the wrong end and its him in front of a sheeps butt.

I can tell you are really enjoying the vast and varied entertainments on offer here. Its amazing once you are through BBQing just what is on offer.

Have you tried the big nut yet?
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:35 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by dotty

Dotty, if you are referrring to Megalania, no I haven't, though he claims to be near the Big Merino
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:36 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
Is that the one behind the Big Wheel?
Old Apr 5th 2003, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

In order to get out and see the real Australia, rather than the beaches and large rocks, I thought I'd like to get to the Australian psyche and true cultural heritage.

I thought I'd start with The Big Pineapple (show-off, hollow, fake and pointless).

I'm aware of other Big things (fish?, prawns? etc.), anyone know what and where they are?
Isn't there a big Banana in Coff's Harbour or was that my imagination?
Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen the big Lobster in SA - it was big!. There's a big Rocking Horse up Birdwood way SA (I think). I thought these were art installations a la Damien Hirst/Tracey Emin school of art. I wonder who makes them. Yeah I agree about looking for the quirky Oz culture cos let's face it Pyramids, Gothic Cathedrals and Renaissance Palazzos there ain't. I liked the towns that played music. Yes a one street town (usual) and there were megaphone like speakers all down the street and country music (type) sounds were being played as you walked up and down the street looking in the Ock shops (charity) and Cheap as Chips type shops and bars. It kinda made my day as the sound was soooo scratchy and the music so bad that it was delightful.

Elaine (Adelaide bound in June)
Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:49 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Anyone seen the the Big Whinger in Perth?
Old Apr 7th 2003, 4:04 pm

arridia is an unknown quantity at this point

No. I've see Big Merino, Big Captain Cook, The Big Lobster and Big Pine Apple (not bad ehh!) but I was debating with some folks last night about building my own variation on this...BIG DANCER! Aa 60 foot dancing figure based roughly on myself!!!

I can't dance to save my life but the whole idea has taken me. I should also qualify for at least 300 points and get in under the distinguishing Talent stream as well.

I intend BIG DANCER to do some dance moves or at the very least girate violently about a bit. What do you think?

:PARTY:
Old Apr 7th 2003, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Big Lobser at Kingson SE (border South Australia and Victoria)

Attached Thumbnails Australian Culture-lobste01.jpg  

Last edited by mashiraz; Apr 7th 2003 at 6:52 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Also horse at Gumeracha in South Australia...
Mash...
Attached Thumbnails Australian Culture-horse01.jpg  
Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummh interesting picture Mash.

I am lost for words. Ummh.

No.

footie chick
Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:15 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

If your using the hume highway just south of the boarder NSW and Victoria at Glenrowen find the Big Ned Kelly.The show is great make sure you get the kids under the trap doors at the end. I didnt find the Big Wormery very good but the kids may like it. Posted by Colin, Yvonnes significant other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.