Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Corporations Act 2001 WTF!!!!

Australian Corporations Act 2001 WTF!!!!

Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:18 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Corporations Act 2001 WTF!!!!

Given the following figures from the HMRC I've got to wonder why I copped such shit for suggesting that non-doms are a minority. Let's see what childish jibe gets flung this time.

Code:
Year	Non-dom	 Tax payers	%
2004-05	110,000	 30,300,000 	0.36%
2005-06	111,000	 31,100,000 	0.36%
2006-07	117,000	 31,800,000 	0.37%
2007-08	140,000	 32,500,000 	0.43%
2008-09	123,000	 31,300,000 	0.39%
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:56 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tempt me ...

Best regards.
Old May 27th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me how you went about this....presume they don't have branches here!
Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
I have an Anglo Irish Acc in Isle of Man and a Skipton International Ltd in Guernsey (part of HSBC Int) all opened from here in Aus, both paying interest, optioned as gross. Both will supply an annual interest statement for the period relevant for Aus financial yr end tax returns.
Old May 27th 2011, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezzie
Can you tell me how you went about this....presume they don't have branches here!
Wait a sec and let me google that for you...
http://www.angloirishbank.co.im/Pers...cts/Apply_Now/
https://www.skiptoninternational.com....aspx?formid=1
Old May 27th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

God save me from banks....have just spent 30 mins on the phone to HSBC talking to someone with no idea of UK banking! However, I persevered and after waiting whilst he talked to a 'colleague' every time I asked a question, he says there's no way I can open an account in Jersey with less than 25,000 quid. That even then the interest will be around 1.9% and I have to pay $200 to open then 15 quid per month to maintain. Surely...there's something better than this?
Old May 27th 2011, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Can the offshore account be in Australia? I believe that is quite straightforward. Interest might be quite low though.

EDIT: I've reminded myself of the original problem. Do you ever make trips back to the UK? Do you have an address there? More importantly, do you have any existing accounts there?

Last edited by Steve2009; May 27th 2011 at 6:10 am.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezzie
God save me from banks....have just spent 30 mins on the phone to HSBC talking to someone with no idea of UK banking! However, I persevered and after waiting whilst he talked to a 'colleague' every time I asked a question, he says there's no way I can open an account in Jersey with less than 25,000 quid. That even then the interest will be around 1.9% and I have to pay $200 to open then 15 quid per month to maintain. Surely...there's something better than this?
I think you'll find that most if not all Hsbc accounts don't pay interest in the Uk.

If it's just a bank account your looking for have a look at the passport account which is designed for overseas visitors and maybe a savings account.

I can't understand why your having difficulty opening an account in the Uk. I have opened accounts in the Usa and Australia without any problem although I did have to go to the banks in question to prove who I was.

Most of the problems opening accounts relate to money laundering now a days as there are heavy fines for the banks if they don't follow the correct procedures.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:25 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I perceive the problem with Aussie residents opening UK bank accounts is the interpretation of Australia's consumer protection legislation by the UK banks.

Someone in compliance in the UK banks seems to have an issue with it ... if anyone can pin down the banks on what exactly is their problem I (and many others) would love to know more.

Best regards.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

I know Alan, it's bonkers isn't it?
The banks we saw in the UK all said it's ONLY Australians/Brits who reside in Oz who can't open an account with them due to Australian rulings. Why this seems to extend to offshore Channel Isles a/c's is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I perceive the problem with Aussie residents opening UK bank accounts is the interpretation of Australia's consumer protection legislation by the UK banks.

Someone in compliance in the UK banks seems to have an issue with it ... if anyone can pin down the banks on what exactly is their problem I (and many others) would love to know more.

Best regards.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Got a joint a/c there. I can't even change that to a different a/c within the same bank without going through credit approval which of course I fail as I'm not living there!!!!

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Can the offshore account be in Australia? I believe that is quite straightforward. Interest might be quite low though.

EDIT: I've reminded myself of the original problem. Do you ever make trips back to the UK? Do you have an address there? More importantly, do you have any existing accounts there?
Old May 27th 2011, 6:49 am
Migration Agent

Further - Aus legislation doesn't - so far as I know - have jurisdiction outside the territory of Australia.

Is ASIC (the regulator in this regard) really going to initiate an action in the UK courts for an Aus resident individual who wishes to open a UK bank account?

Happy to defer to the BE resident lawyers on this point.

I think we need to get the media onto this one! Today Tonight anyone?

Best regards.
Old May 27th 2011, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm up for it....think it's dreadful that Australians are singled out for this type of treatment.

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Further - Aus legislation doesn't - so far as I know - have jurisdiction outside the territory of Australia.

Is ASIC (the regulator in this regard) really going to initiate an action in the UK courts for an Aus resident individual who wishes to open a UK bank account?

Happy to defer to the BE resident lawyers on this point.

I think we need to get the media onto this one! Today Tonight anyone?

Best regards.