Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian copyright laws changed

Australian copyright laws changed

Old May 14th 2006, 11:34 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Australian copyright laws changed

I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that you can now copy your CDs on to your MP3 players, and record that TV program you would of missed.

Did you know this before? Have you been breaking the law?

Last edited by gedge; May 14th 2006 at 11:37 pm.
Old May 15th 2006, 2:19 am

Default Re: Australian copyright laws changed

If anyone is interested, you can read more "from the horse's mouth" here.

Some of the highlights:
How long can I keep the recording?
The recording must be deleted after one use. It will not be possible to use the recording over and over again.
Can I give a recording I have made to a friend?
No. A recording is for the personal use of the person who made it. You can invite a friend over to watch or listen to your recording but you can’t lend or give it to a friend to take home with them.
Can I make a ‘back-up’ copy of a CD in case the original is lost or damaged?
No. A format-shift copy must be in a different audio format to the original.
How they intend to enforce these rules is anyone's guess.
Will they break down the door if you start watching that taped program a second time?
Think before you loan the highlights of the footie match to your mate.
Dare you burn a second copy of that new CD so you can listen to it in the car?
Old May 15th 2006, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedge
If anyone is interested, you can read more "from the horse's mouth" here.

Some of the highlights:

How they intend to enforce these rules is anyone's guess.
Will they break down the door if you start watching that taped program a second time?
Think before you loan the highlights of the footie match to your mate.
Dare you burn a second copy of that new CD so you can listen to it in the car?
And presumably with foxtel's new digital service they advertise you can replay live TV and watch that goal again before watching the rest of the live game, its only OK to watch it once? I hope they make that clear in the advert cos we wouldn't want people spending their money on something they shouldn't do.
Old May 15th 2006, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by extrameant
And presumably with foxtel's new digital service they advertise you can replay live TV and watch that goal again before watching the rest of the live game, its only OK to watch it once? I hope they make that clear in the advert cos we wouldn't want people spending their money on something they shouldn't do.
And who gets to watch the copy? If the kids have already watched it then mum & dad aren't allowed to? Or is it once per person per copy per household?
Old May 15th 2006, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedge
And who gets to watch the copy? If the kids have already watched it then mum & dad aren't allowed to? Or is it once per person per copy per household?
I suppose you could call the people in who missed it first time, then everyone who saw it already could leave the room before playing it again. Now what about the budgie, would it need to leave the room as well?
Old May 15th 2006, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by extrameant
I suppose you could call the people in who missed it first time, then everyone who saw it already could leave the room before playing it again. Now what about the budgie, would it need to leave the room as well?
Poor old budge would be in an out like a jack-in-a-box.

"This tape/CD/DVD will self destruct after one viewing...."

Mr Ruddock probably got an idea from watching Mission Impossible, his own legally purchased copy