Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Australian City has more opportunity for experienced Mechanical Engineers?

Which Australian City has more opportunity for experienced Mechanical Engineers?

Old Apr 29th 2011, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

shaikho69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Australian City has more opportunity for experienced Mechanical Engineers?

Hello All

I am a Mechanical Engineer with 17 years experience, age 41. I am going to apply for Australia lmmigration as Skilled Worker. Which city of Australia has more job opportunites for Mechanical Engineers? especially in Oil & Gas or Petrochemicals Sectors.

Please advise me.
Regards
Old Apr 29th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Oz Dreaming is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which Australian City has more opportunity for experienced Mechanical Engineers?

Hi Shaikho69,

I am a chemical engineer in Brisbane and to be honest i think Brisbane is the best for the Oil and Gas. I work for a big oil company in their lubrications business. In Brisbane you have the coal seam gas companies Queensland Gas, Santos, Origin, Arrow Energy. All based in brisbane with sites all over QLD (mainly bowen basin and gladstone). There are also some smaller Coal seam gas companies (tri star etc).

I also think there is a joint venture with Conoco Philips with some one in QLD.

You also have 2 refineries BP and Caltex in Brisbane. Also other to oil companies there is Alcan's engineering office in the CBD with loads of projects going on there.

There is such a demand for engineers here BP have lost loads of people to Qld Gas, Caltex to Origin all because Origin and Qld gas have had to pay high salaries to attract people.

The company i work for has a presentation every other wk for a new project and opportunities to go there (although they are in the middle of nowhere)

Do you have Oil and Gas experience, if not it may be difficult to get in even with different engineering experience. If you have experience you will be snapped up.

The other option is western australia with some big projects happening over there.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: Which Australian City has more opportunity for experienced Mechanical Engineers?

Thanks dear for your detailed reply. It is very useful info. for me.

Yes! I have experience in Oil & Gas and Fertilizer sectors. Currently, I am working in an Oil Refinery in a Gulf Country. Now I plan to move Australia to get better opportunity of my Children Education and for my better future prospects.

Can you now advise me in which visa class i have to apply? Either Skilled Migration Class 175 OR Employer Sponsored Class 121. Give some reasons also.
Regards

Shaikho69
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Which Australian City has more opportunity for experienced Mechanical Engineers?

Originally Posted by shaikho69
Thanks dear for your detailed reply. It is very useful info. for me.

Shaikho69
I didnt realise this was Michael Winner or David Cameron "Calm down Dear". Not sure what part of my reply makes you think i am female.

Can you now advise me in which visa class i have to apply? Either Skilled Migration Class 175 OR Employer Sponsored Class 121. Give some reasons also.

I assume with the fact that you have listed the type of visas that you know what each are. Therefore i guess you know that the Employer Sponsored visa is for someone whose employer is sponsoring them to come over (the name gives it away). As you dont have a company to sponsor you (based on the forum heading) you will have to get a 175. You could apply to the companies i listed to see if they will sponsor you, you may be lucky you may not, i have no experience in this.

If you work for a oil company in the Gulf why not see if they have any opportunities in oz? I know the company i work for encourages all employees to apply for jobs around the globe.

Just out of interest why do you think there is better opportunity for your future prospects in australia compared to the Gulf. I would have thought there is enough oil in the gulf states to keep you busy well after retirement and you get paid alot more there tax free.

Another thing to note given your experience is that the main opportunity here is Gas not oil. Shell recently announced they were closing a refinery in Sydney; reason being there is excess capacity in the asia pacific region and the asian refineries are so much bigger/ cheaper to run. My guess is that if there is a business case for 1 company then it must be a business case for the others.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz Dreaming
I didnt realise this was Michael Winner or David Cameron "Calm down Dear". Not sure what part of my reply makes you think i am female.

We females don't really appreciate being called "dear" either.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Perth has the biggest O&G market, although Brisbane is developing with the CSLNG and has a lot of work going, Darwin also has a reasonably steady industry, and Melbourne also runs a lot of jobs. Basically any of the big cities apart from Sydney, Adelaide, ACT & Hobart.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

The Gorgon Project up at Karratha is going to be huge. I mean HUGE !!

So I would suggest Perth.

I also think that English is not the OP's first language and he was probably trying to be very polite and appreciative by using the term: dear.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 2:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Condor of Bermuda
I also think that English is not the OP's first language and he was probably trying to be very polite and appreciative by using the term: dear.
It is a cultural thing and one that has caused many problems in the Immi Forum so we ask people not be use the expression on the forums as it is deemed patronising, rude and unnecessary in our society and won't go down well in Australia (for the OPs reference).
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Condor of Bermuda
The Gorgon Project up at Karratha is going to be huge. I mean HUGE !!

So I would suggest Perth.

What about this one in qld ?
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225764507613
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...23/3046389.htm
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Which Australian City has more opportunity for experienced Mechanical Engineers?

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Perth has the biggest O&G market, although Brisbane is developing with the CSLNG and has a lot of work going, Darwin also has a reasonably steady industry, and Melbourne also runs a lot of jobs. Basically any of the big cities apart from Sydney, Adelaide, ACT & Hobart.
Hi Jimbo_d

Recently, I got Queensland Skilled Regional Nomination Letter. , now I am going to apply for SC475 Visa with my family.

PLease urgently advise me which QLD Region (other than Brisbane) have more opportunities for experienced Mechanical Engineer especially in Oil/Gas and Fertilizer, Petrochemical sectors?

I would appreciate an urgent reply, as i have to mention in DIAC Application, the name of QLD Region where I want to land?

Regards
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:38 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Don't turn it into a perth v brisbane thread, "dear".

Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Don't turn it into a perth v brisbane thread, "dear".

yeah, it's actually Perth and Brisbane vs the rest I was slightly hoping the ? would get someone who knew what they were talking about to educate me as am trying to work it out...but no takers etc you

Last edited by fish.01; Jun 16th 2011 at 1:45 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shaikho69
Hi Jimbo_d

Recently, I got Queensland Skilled Regional Nomination Letter. , now I am going to apply for SC475 Visa with my family.

PLease urgently advise me which QLD Region (other than Brisbane) have more opportunities for experienced Mechanical Engineer especially in Oil/Gas and Fertilizer, Petrochemical sectors?

I would appreciate an urgent reply, as i have to mention in DIAC Application, the name of QLD Region where I want to land?

Regards
I have seen this in another post and think it is relevant http://www.giyf.com/