British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australian citizenship question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australian-citizenship-question-583805/)

mand8002 Jan 13th 2009 9:03 am

Re: Australian citizenship question

Originally Posted by comet555 (Post 7159550)
I'm confused about that. I also booked mine yesterday and they asked me my maiden name, and I told them.

There was no mention of submitting any other forms, although now that you've mentioned it I'll make sure I bring a copy of my marriage certificate!

I had to get a change of name certificate even though like other people I had been married for 23 years and my PR visa was in my married name! I actually went for the interview (just before the test came in) and the guy that interviewed me said that he was pleased I had the change of name certificate as he would not have accepted the marriage certificate. Apart from the cost, you can get one priority processed in a few days.

JAJ Jan 13th 2009 11:56 am

Originally Posted by mand8002 (Post 7160857)
I had to get a change of name certificate even though like other people I had been married for 23 years and my PR visa was in my married name! I actually went for the interview (just before the test came in) and the guy that interviewed me said that he was pleased I had the change of name certificate as he would not have accepted the marriage certificate. Apart from the cost, you can get one priority processed in a few days.

This may be true, but bear in mind that people who have moved states recently may not be able to obtain one. Based on posts on this forum, implementation of this policy is not consistent.

You can appeal to the AAT if refused, of course.

moneypenny20 Jan 13th 2009 12:15 pm

The form is badly worded basically. You need to take your birth certificate and your marriage certificate with you and they are fine with them.

When you come to apply for your Australian Passport you will find that that form has a section about if your name is different now from when you took your citizenship ceremony you need to provide your marriage certificate. As it hasn't, you assume it's fine to leave the marriage certificate behind - don't. Whoever processes your application at Aus Post has to view it although no mention is made anywhere.

One prawn on the Passport Help Line told me that if they mentioned everything you needed to know and do, the information booklet would be too long :blink: I started querying his comment and then decided life was too short :lol:

genie79 Jan 13th 2009 12:22 pm

How do you actually apply for your test? I will be looking at sitting the test when I move to Melbourne. Does any know the waiting times for Melbourne

bcworld Jan 13th 2009 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by genie79 (Post 7161679)
How do you actually apply for your test? I will be looking at sitting the test when I move to Melbourne. Does any know the waiting times for Melbourne

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/test/booking.htm

From what I remember most people applying in major DIAC offices in the cities seem to wait about 2 months.

GSNR Jan 13th 2009 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7161581)
This may be true, but bear in mind that people who have moved states recently may not be able to obtain one. Based on posts on this forum, implementation of this policy is not consistent.

You can appeal to the AAT if refused, of course.

Hi again,

This is what confuses me, on phoning DIAC my husband was told I would not need the change of name certificate, but when I phoned they said I would need one. The next day we phoned them again and the person said they didn't think I would need one.
I am not going to apply for a change of name certificate, but can you please tell me what "AAT" stands for, as if they do require one when I do the test, i will most definitely appeal.

DunRoaminTheUK Jan 13th 2009 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by GSNR (Post 7163417)
Hi again,

This is what confuses me, on phoning DIAC my husband was told I would not need the change of name certificate, but when I phoned they said I would need one. The next day we phoned them again and the person said they didn't think I would need one.
I am not going to apply for a change of name certificate, but can you please tell me what "AAT" stands for, as if they do require one when I do the test, i will most definitely appeal.

I'm not sure that phoning DIAC (ironically) will yield the best results when seeking out information about citizenship. I was told a number of 'dynamically changing' facts by them.

GSNR Jan 13th 2009 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 7163945)
I'm not sure that phoning DIAC (ironically) will yield the best results when seeking out information about citizenship. I was told a number of 'dynamically changing' facts by them.

Wow, so how do I find out the facts??

DunRoaminTheUK Jan 13th 2009 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by GSNR (Post 7164021)
Wow, so how do I find out the facts??

Talking to people who have prepared for and sat the citizenship test, at a guess?

ABCDiamond Jan 14th 2009 1:14 am

Originally Posted by GSNR (Post 7163417)
but can you please tell me what "AAT" stands for, as if they do require one when I do the test, i will most definitely appeal.

Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)
http://www.aat.gov.au/

The Tribunal is an independent body that reviews a wide range of administrative decisions made by Australian Government ministers, departments, agencies, authorities and other tribunals. The Tribunal can also review administrative decisions made by State government and non-government bodies in limited circumstances.

It also says this.....

If you apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal for review of a decision, you may have to pay an application fee of $682. Your application cannot proceed until you pay the application fee or the fee has been waived. The application fee is refunded when the review is completed if the AAT decides that it is finalised in your favour.
It does seem, as JAJ mentioned, that some people get by without needing it, and some have to get the certificate, and there is no clear guide on this subject.

GSNR Jan 14th 2009 1:46 am

Hi again,

My husband went in and personally spoke to somebody at the test center this morning and she said that there is no need for me to get the certificate as long as my passport and visa are on my married name and I've had no other name changes! However i do need to take in my marriage and birth certificates the day of the test!
So hope this helps anybody else who was wanting to know!

Cheers

DunRoaminTheUK Jan 14th 2009 2:40 am

Originally Posted by GSNR (Post 7164734)
Hi again,

My husband went in and personally spoke to somebody at the test center this morning and she said that there is no need for me to get the certificate as long as my passport and visa are on my married name and I've had no other name changes! However i do need to take in my marriage and birth certificates the day of the test!
So hope this helps anybody else who was wanting to know!

Cheers

This proves my theory that the DIAC customer service centers are based in Tehran.

GSNR Jan 14th 2009 3:25 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 7164830)
This proves my theory that the DIAC customer service centers are based in Tehran.

LOL .... I guess it's always better going directly to the source!

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

bcworld Jan 14th 2009 3:47 am

Originally Posted by GSNR (Post 7164949)
LOL .... I guess it's always better going directly to the source!

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Just you wait until its time to find out details of your Brisbane citizenship ceremony.....you'll call the council, who'll tell you to call DIAC, who'll tell you to call the council, who'll tell you to call DIAC, who'll..............

DunRoaminTheUK Jan 14th 2009 3:53 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 7164979)
Just you wait until its time to find out details of your Brisbane citizenship ceremony.....you'll call the council, who'll tell you to call DIAC, who'll tell you to call the council, who'll tell you to call DIAC, who'll..............

Yep. Quite true.

I gave up after I got to the 15th alternating call to DIAC. I'm not stupid.