Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian citizenship question

Australian citizenship question

Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:46 pm

GSNR will become famous soon enoughGSNR will become famous soon enough
Default Australian citizenship question

Hi there,

We booked our test yesterday, and we were told that I have to submit a "change of name" to the change of name register. I am extremely confused by this, as upon enquiring, I was was told yes and my husband was told no I don't have to. We were married almost 17 years ago, entered Australia over 2 years ago and my PR visa and passport are all in my married name .... I haven't used my maiden name since I was married! So what am I actually changing if my records show my married name and I have no intention of ever changing it.

Can anybody please shed some light!

Thanks
Shelley
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Australian citizenship question

On the Application form for citizenship by descent, it does say:
Overseas marriage certificates are not acceptable evidence of a change of name.
I suggest ringing them again and double checking, because I think it seems odd, unless you are applying for citizenship by descent.

I can't recall my wife having to submit a "change of name".

Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:55 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm confused about that. I also booked mine yesterday and they asked me my maiden name, and I told them.

There was no mention of submitting any other forms, although now that you've mentioned it I'll make sure I bring a copy of my marriage certificate!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm confused about that. I also booked mine yesterday and they asked me my maiden name, and I told them.

There was no mention of submitting any other forms, although now that you've mentioned it I'll make sure I bring a copy of my marriage certificate!
The processing culture up to now has generally been not to require such a certificate if either:

- the application is being made overseas (because it's impossible to get such a certificate); or
- the applicant was granted a permanent visa in the same name.

They seem to have removed the Citizenship Instruction document on proof of ID, however.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:05 am

Thanks so much for your replies. I will take my marriage certificate with when I do the test. My BN136visa is in my married name, so hopefully the marriage certificate will be sufficient!

It is however very frustrating when phoning DIAC, as every time you phone and speak to somebody different, you seem to get a different answer!

Thanks everyone!
Shelley
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:19 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
On the Application form for citizenship by descent, it does say:

I suggest ringing them again and double checking, because I think it seems odd, unless you are applying for citizenship by descent.

I can't recall my wife having to submit a "change of name".
My wife did. We supplied our Marriage Certificate at the test center.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:30 am

Sorry ...... I'm not too sure what you mean by "your wife did" as you also say you showed your marriage certificate at the test center. We are also doing our test in Brisbane.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:35 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSNR
Sorry ...... I'm not too sure what you mean by "your wife did" as you also say you showed your marriage certificate at the test center. We are also doing our test in Brisbane.
My wife and I both sat our tests at the same time and she had to bring along our marriage certificate (in addition to her birth certificate) to show evidence of her change of maiden name to her married name.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

We booked our test yesterday, and we were told that I have to submit a "change of name" to the change of name register. I am extremely confused by this, as upon enquiring, I was was told yes and my husband was told no I don't have to. We were married almost 17 years ago, entered Australia over 2 years ago and my PR visa and passport are all in my married name .... I haven't used my maiden name since I was married! So what am I actually changing if my records show my married name and I have no intention of ever changing it.

Can anybody please shed some light!

Thanks
Shelley

I did my test back in March and they took copies of my UK marriage certificate and my UK birth certificate.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

I think confusion is coming in to play

A marriage certificate and birth certificate would presumably be required, but you are asking about having to have to submit a "change of name" to the change of name register, which I think is a very different thing.

This is from the Citizenship test page:

Original documents required
You should bring with you these original documents:
  • full birth certificate, and
  • your current passport or travel document, and
  • up to two other forms of identification which has your photograph, signature and current residential address (such as your drivers licence).
Additional documents
Official Australian evidence of any name changes. This will usually be:
  • a change of name certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM), or
  • a marriage certificate issued by an Australian RBDM if you married in Australia.
  • Overseas marriage certificates are not acceptable evidence of a change of name.
If you do not have these documents, please contact the department again as soon as possible about alternative documents that may be used to verify your identity.

Do not wait until the day of your appointment as you may not be able to sit your test if you do not have sufficient evidence of your identity.
I can see the confusion, but am very puzzled by it, because I cannot see all the overseas spouses having to get a new certificate from the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

It makes no sense whatsoever. However, I married in Australia, so my wifes marriage certificate would be acceptable "per the above".

Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:16 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think confusion is coming in to play

A marriage certificate and birth certificate would presumably be required, but you are asking about having to have to submit a "change of name" to the change of name register, which I think is a very different thing.

This is from the Citizenship test page:

I can see the confusion, but am very puzzled by it, because I cannot see all the overseas spouses having to get a new certificate from the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

It makes no sense whatsoever. However, I married in Australia, so my wifes marriage certificate would be acceptable "per the above".
We got hitched in Mauritius so go figure eh?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Can I piggyback on this thread with another question?

Is it possible to apply for citizenship just before meeting residency requirements, by a month or two, so that once the magic date goes past it can all swing into action asap? Or can you only submit the application once you've already gone past the 2 year mark?

And am I right that I can do the citizenship test ahead of meeting residency requirements?

Thank you!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:42 am

You can only apply for citizenship once you've reached the 2 year mark of being here, or 4 years in some cases.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:55 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by esperanza
Can I piggyback on this thread with another question?

Is it possible to apply for citizenship just before meeting residency requirements, by a month or two, so that once the magic date goes past it can all swing into action asap? Or can you only submit the application once you've already gone past the 2 year mark?

And am I right that I can do the citizenship test ahead of meeting residency requirements?

Thank you!
You can't apply early, you have to wait until you are actually eligible and your 2 years is up. Or for anyone coming under the new rule it will be 4 years.

As far as the test goes you can sit it as early as you want, which is good because there could be a waiting time of several weeks or a couple months. So book it early and get it done before you are eligible to apply.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys! I'll give them a call tomorrow and see how soon I can get in there (lol, might fail it anyway and need time to re-take!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.