Reload this Page >

Australian Citizenship Bill

Australian Citizenship Bill

Old Nov 16th 2005, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

tim.jenkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Citizenship Bill

Hi--

This is my first visit to this site. Thanks for providing such an useful forum.

I have a question for you, with regards to the Australian Ciztizenship Bill currently under consideration. I am from the UK, and I am the spouse of an Australian citizen. We have been married for eleven years, and are now residing in the US. I was granted my Australian Permanent Residency Visa in August 2004, and I validated the Visa when we visited Australia for three weeks in June 2005. We have since returned to the US.

I understand from the proposed legislation changes that spouses of Australian citizens will now be able to apply from overseas. My interpretation of other parts of the legislation is that the Minister has the discretion to waive any or all of the residency requirements for spouses of Australian citizens, providing they are of good character etc. Theoretically (and hopefully practicaly, as well) I would be able to apply for citizenship as soon as the Bill is passed???????

Can anyone confirm if they have interpreted the proposed legislation in the same way. Also, does anyone know when this Bill might be given Royal Assent?

Thanks for any information that anyone can provide.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian Citizenship Bill

Originally Posted by tim.jenkins
Hi--

This is my first visit to this site. Thanks for providing such an useful forum.

I have a question for you, with regards to the Australian Ciztizenship Bill currently under consideration. I am from the UK, and I am the spouse of an Australian citizen. We have been married for eleven years, and are now residing in the US. I was granted my Australian Permanent Residency Visa in August 2004, and I validated the Visa when we visited Australia for three weeks in June 2005. We have since returned to the US.

I understand from the proposed legislation changes that spouses of Australian citizens will now be able to apply from overseas. My interpretation of other parts of the legislation is that the Minister has the discretion to waive any or all of the residency requirements for spouses of Australian citizens, providing they are of good character etc. Theoretically (and hopefully practicaly, as well) I would be able to apply for citizenship as soon as the Bill is passed???????

Can anyone confirm if they have interpreted the proposed legislation in the same way. Also, does anyone know when this Bill might be given Royal Assent?

Thanks for any information that anyone can provide.
hey, welcome to the forum, I'm not sure on the answer, have you tried posting it on the immigration section? you may get a better response.

Laura
Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

tim.jenkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Citizenship Bill

thanks, laura, will do.