Reload this Page >

Australian Citizenship

Australian Citizenship

Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough
Default Australian Citizenship

Hi,
Once you have entered oz on a permanent residency visa how long is it till you can apply for oz citizenship ?
Is it a long process and what happens with your UK citizenship ?
Thanks
Tina
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice
Default Re: Australian Citizenship

Originally Posted by FITCHETT FAMILY
Hi,
Once you have entered oz on a permanent residency visa how long is it till you can apply for oz citizenship ?
Thanks
Tina
Essentially it is 2 years of continuous residency. You can obtain dual Oz/UK citizenship.

If you do a search for citizenship on the forum you will find the various discussions on it and the points to remember/be aware off.

regards

Alex
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:17 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FITCHETT FAMILY
Hi,
Thanks
Tina
You can apply for citizenship after 2 years in Australia and although I have read some posts re what happens to your UK citizenship it's too late in the evening for me to remember and put it into comprehensible English! I'm sure someone will be along with the answer shortly.....

Binbird
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binbird
You can apply for citizenship after 2 years in Australia and although I have read some posts re what happens to your UK citizenship it's too late in the evening for me to remember and put it into comprehensible English! I'm sure someone will be along with the answer shortly.....

Binbird

You keep your British citizenship. Lots of information on Australian citizenship can be found at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

Jeremy
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Australian Citizenship

Originally Posted by JAJ
You keep your British citizenship. Lots of information on Australian citizenship can be found at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,
Just wanted to say thanks for all your advice, it has been very useful, only found this site this week after a recommendation, wish we knew about it 12 months ago .
Have you worked in the U.K. as an agent? If you hav'nt then you should coz you would be worth your weight in gold, maybe if we'd had you as our agent we wouldn't have had any probs!!!!
Anyway, thanks again,
Owe you a
Tina
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:33 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I got my interview yesterday for Aus Citizenship Tina. You can apply after 2 years through the net, it costs $120. I know have to wait roughly 3 months until there is enough people in my area who have applied then we have the ceremony at local council office.
After that I'm an Aussie or at least a Scossie having come from Scotland.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I got my interview yesterday for Aus Citizenship Tina. You can apply after 2 years through the net, it costs $120. I know have to wait roughly 3 months until there is enough people in my area who have applied then we have the ceremony at local council office.
It's actually quicker to go to a DIMIA office in person (rather than applying online), with all the documentation required, and apply in person. You can call 131880 to make an appointment or just turn up when the office is open if you don't mind a wait.

Make sure you know about the rights and responsibilities of Australian citizenship as you will be asked.

Jeremy
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:21 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hi Bordy,

Hopefully you will know this.

Is the $120 per application, per adult or per child?

Thanks
Alistair
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:39 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hi Bordy,

Hopefully you will know this.

Is the $120 per application, per adult or per child?

Thanks
Alistair

Its per adult Alistair, as your kids are under 18 they will be added to your application & automatically get citizenship when you get yours.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:23 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Its per adult Alistair, as your kids are under 18 they will be added to your application & automatically get citizenship when you get yours.
Cheers Buddy,

Hopefully we'll be joining you next year,

Thanks
Alistair
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

Correct, except that 16 and 17 year olds cannot be added to their parent's application. They need to apply as individuals.

Normally a parent should countersign the application but does not have to be also an applicant for Australian citizenship.

16 and 17 year olds must also attend a ceremony - children younger than that do not have to.

Jeremy
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

With ref to dual nationality, i wonder what the ramifications would be, if and when Australia declares itself a Republic. Will the UK and/or Australia then stop the dual nationality issue, and if so, I wonder which way people would swing if they had to choose one passport or the other?
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
With ref to dual nationality, i wonder what the ramifications would be, if and when Australia declares itself a Republic. Will the UK and/or Australia then stop the dual nationality issue, and if so, I wonder which way people would swing if they had to choose one passport or the other?
Ramifications - None.

The issue of whether dual nationality is permitted or not is nothing to do with the issue of whether a country is a constitutional monarchy or not.

Constitutional monarchies that allow dual citizenship include the UK, Canada, NZ and Sweden while those that restrict it include Denmark, Norway, Spain and Belgium.

Republics that allow dual citizenship include the US, Ireland, France and Italy while those restricting or prohibiting it include Germany, Singapore, Austria and the Czech Republic.

There really is no pattern.

Jeremy
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:08 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
There's no reason to suppose that there would be any difference from the present situation if Australia were to become a republic. Both the UK and Australia allow their citizens to hold the citizenship of another country, regardless of what that country is.

If either the UK or Australia were to change its views on dual citizenship, it is unlikely that Australia's status as a republic (or not) would have anything to do with it. (Similarly, the present situation is also not dependent on Australia remaining a member nation of the Commonwealth, nor even of there being a Commonwealth at all.)
Old Feb 14th 2005, 12:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Make sure you know about the rights and responsibilities of Australian citizenship as you will be asked.
How do you think "do you know the way to the nearest Centerlink?" would go down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.